Author Topic: Any Doctor Who fans?  (Read 3697 times)

Online Autumn Leaves

• Veteran member
  • D. R. & Quinch (From 2000AD)
Re: Any Doctor Who fans?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »
So I was just reading that the next Doctor will be Female - It's the 21st Century I guess but it still seems like a bold move.
Here is a picture of the actress that will be playing the Doctor:

British actress Jodi Whittaker who starred in the TV series Broadchurch.

Link to story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-17/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-named-first-female-doctor/8713964

I haven't watched Doctor Who in a long time but found the news interesting - any thoughts/comments about this?.
I like old music :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »
So I was just reading that the next Doctor will be Female - It's the 21st Century I guess but it still seems like a bold move.

Link to story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-17/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-named-first-female-doctor/8713964

I haven't watched Doctor Who in a long time but found the news interesting - any thoughts/comments about this?.
Think it's a good idea.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:22 PM »
Think it's a good idea.
+1. It has potential for some interesting twists and story lines if so they so choose...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline nodogen

• Currently Listening to:
    Silence so loud
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »
They'll be letting them drive trains next.
Kill the ruminator!

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:02 AM »
It's the 21st Century I guess but it still seems like a bold move.

It shouldn't be bold anymore in 2017.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 02:01:52 AM »
If you're interested in the origins of Dr Who this is an excellent drama which I've mentioned before. Even the school where I worked for 28 years gets a mention:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventure-Space-Time-DVD/dp/B00GJOXW1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1495744951&sr=1-1&keywords=adventures+in+time+and+space

The actor who played William Hartnell - the first Dr Who - is also playing him in the new series I think - probably a Christmas Special where the previous doctors tend to reappear.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:03:39 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »
It shouldn't be bold anymore in 2017.
I agree.

Especially considering it has been discussed as an option for the at 31 years......

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:18 AM »

Link to story:

Given that they have already done it with the Master....

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
I wonder what (if any) impact this might have upon future choices when writing for and casting new companions. Do they still call them companions?

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
I wonder what (if any) impact this might have upon future choices when writing for and casting new companions. Do they still call them companions?
I'm not sure they've ever been called companions on screen at all actually.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, and I love the choice of Jodi as the new Doctor. I believe casting Jodi will open a ton of new, and fresh story lines. I like Capaldi, he has had some strong performances in a few episodes that should become classics, but don't feel he was able to completely match the depth that Tennent and Matt Smith were capable of, so I'm alright with his departure. Also, the idea of a Time Lord regenerating into a female has been explored the past few seasons with The Master becoming Missy.

Steven Moffat (EP and showrunner) is also departing after the XMAs episode, the showrunner of Broadchurch is scheduled to take over.

I find the outrage of Jodi quite entertaining, we are still at least half a year away from her debut, but I hope Jodi crushes it. And I did read that the creator of Doctor Who once stated, back in the 80s, that one day the regeneration should be a female. If that's accurate, we have the creator's consent.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »

It's being presented as a bold move, but I really don't think it is. If anything it's the safer option. They would have been slaughtered had they cast another man.

The reaction to this casting has been rather depressing, and I mean from both sides. At one end of the spectrum you have the predictable howls of frothing outrage from the Daily Mail brigade, declaring that they're disgusted, how the next Doctor will be a disabled black lesbian, they'll never watch it again, etc.. Some of the drivel posted by these people is unintentionally amusing, some of it is just downright nasty.

At the other extreme you have people who are delighted, as much because it will annoy others as because they approve of it themselves, and who dismiss anyone expressing even the mildest doubt or disagreement as a swivel-eyed sexist neanderthal (while reminding everyone of the importance of inclusion and tolerance, which curiously does not seem to extend to tolerating anyone daring to hold a different opinion).

I don't agree with the idea that a female Doctor cannot possibly work and I'll be watching with great interest to see what Whittaker can do with the role. That said, if there are people who are somewhat miffed at a pretty big change to a character they love for what they see as no particularly good reason, I can understand that, and I don't think they deserve to be jumped on and dismissed as misogynistic bigots (unless they're spouting the sort of blatantly sexist cobblers typical of the aforementioned Daily Mail brigade). Even a former Doctor, Peter Davison, has tweeted his disapproval of the scorn being directed at those who would prefer the Doctor to remain male, even though he must know he'll probably cop some flak for doing so.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. From what I remember, Chibnall's Torchwood episodes were pretty poor, so having him in charge of Who doesn't fill me with confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if the writing divides opinion as much as the female Doctor.

Online Autumn Leaves

• Veteran member
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
Great - thanks for all your replies!.
Good to see that the Doctor Who fans on this forum don't have a problem with the casting of Jodi Whittaker - my thinking is pretty much the same as others here FWIW :D.

It's been a (really) long time since I watched Dr Who - I think the last thing I watched was the special/one-off? thing with Paul McGann and I'm sure that was absolutely yonks ago.
I haven't seen any of the "new" Dr Who episodes at all so I didn't know about the Female "Master" character (though it does sound a bit familiar to me) - My Sister-In-Law is a serious Dr Who fan (and also the only Female Dr Who obsessive I know of) and she might have told me about it at some stage..

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. From what I remember, Chibnall's Torchwood episodes were pretty poor, so having him in charge of Who doesn't fill me with confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if the writing divides opinion as much as the female Doctor.

Thanks for your thoughtful post which covered all the angles - this is what I'm wondering about (will the ratings for the new Doctor be good or not?).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:01:13 AM by Autumn Leaves »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Actually my former colleague and friend Lucy is the biggest Dr Who obsessive I know.

Here are all the transformations of the Doctor up to Matt Smith if you're interested. The last two transformations are the best ( David Tennant arriving and departing) IMHO.

https://youtu.be/uXCpY_3Sac8

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 03:37:26 AM »

Instead of K9, the doctor will have a cat robot named 9L ("nine lives")...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Online Autumn Leaves

• Veteran member
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »
Actually my former colleague and friend Lucy is the biggest Dr Who obsessive I know.

Wow, OK thats great to know - I have never visited a Dr Who Forum/Social Media Group so I admit I don't know much about the Dr Who fanbase; especially the current one.
It seems to me like Sci-Fi/Fantasy are the sort of things which interest Men more than Women (generally speaking) but I do know some Women who like this sort of stuff (just not many).
I remember my Sister-In-Law telling me that she went to a convention one time to get some of her Dr Who stuff signed by Tom Baker and she said she was the only woman there - I guess that stuck in my mind a bit.

Here are all the transformations of the Doctor up to Matt Smith if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/uXCpY_3Sac8

The last two transformations are the best ( David Tennant arriving and departing) IMHO.

Great, thanks for that - I'll try to check it out soon and brush up on my Dr Who knowledge.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:15:07 AM by Autumn Leaves »

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Thanks for your thoughtful post which covered all the angles - this is what I'm wondering about (will the ratings for the new Doctor be good or not?).

I think how well the ratings hold up will depend on two things, the first of which is what Chibnall has in mind. He has apparently said that he always wanted to cast a woman. If that's because he has some interesting ideas for a female Doctor then it should work well, and those who are moderately sceptical but willing to give it a chance will probably be won over.

On the other hand, casting a woman simply because it's not been done before is not much of a reason for doing it, and if he's done it simply because he could, that's no reason at all. In my view, Moffat fell into that trap with Missy, who I felt was really toe-curlingly bad and a perfect illustration of the fact that just because something can be done, that doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. If he wanted an evil female Time Lord character he could have brought back the Rani (a female Master in all but name), or better still, created an entirely new character. At times Missy felt to me like a bad parody of the Master, especially when compared to Delgado's peerless original. The change of gender added nothing whatsoever to the character and for that reason felt like a lazy gimmick. If Whittaker's Doctor is written like that it will flop, but if Chibnall has some substantive ideas it should be fine.

The other factor will obviously be Whittaker's portrayal. If she can capture the Doctor's character, not least the otherworldly eccentricity, she'll be a success. If she can't, she won't. But that applies to any male Doctor as well.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »
Wow, OK thats great to know - I have never visited a Dr Who Forum/Social Media Group so I admit I don't know much about the Dr Who fanbase; especially the current one.
It seems to me like Sci-Fi/Fantasy are the sort of things which interest Men more than Women (generally speaking) but I do know some Women who like this sort of stuff (just not many).
I remember my Sister-In-Law telling me that she went to a convention one time to get some of her Dr Who stuff signed by Tom Baker and she said she was the only woman there - I guess that stuck in my mind a bit.

Great, thanks for that - I'll try to check it out soon and brush up on my Dr Who knowledge.
I think that David Tennant has a wide fan base independently of Dr Who which may have attracted more fans both male and female.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2017, 04:00:36 AM »
All of the talk about the new Doctor has me feeling nostalgic, so I've been going back and watching some of my favorite episodes. Last night was with Midnight S4:E10. It features a great performance by Tennant, and an unconventional setting and monster for the show. It mostly takes place in one room, or shuttle rather, and the monster is unseen other than taking a human form.  The other interesting element of this episode is that The Doctor has little to do with the outcome, and frankly is defeated by the monster.
Overall a very well made episode, creepy and nerve–racking at times.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:28:21 AM by TheGSMoeller »

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
In my view, Moffat fell into that trap with Missy, who I felt was really toe-curlingly bad and a perfect illustration of the fact that just because something can be done, that doesn't necessarily mean it should be done.

Whereas in my view, Michelle Gomez is the best person to ever play the character and I can't take my eyes off her any time she is on screen.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK