Author Topic: Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)  (Read 133752 times)

Baron Scarpia

Re: Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
« Reply #1000 on: April 13, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #1001 on: April 13, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #1002 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.
One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

Thank you both.  :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1003 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »
I only have the 'Works for Solo Piano' box featuring Katchen. I'd like another box to contrast that one. Any suggestions?

Andreas Boyde, it's very lovingly played and he has a modern piano sound that I can tolerate. Though be aware that I only listen to the late music and big sets of variations really - I don't know anything about sonatas, ballades . . .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:15:13 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #1004 on: April 14, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »
If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1005 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »
Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1006 on: April 14, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

yes I think there are some interesting ideas here, Rubinova and Volodos.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1007 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »
Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.

Yes distinctive and noble in the 116-119 -- there's a recording on Vol 10 of the Rubinstein Collection which I like.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #1008 on: May 02, 2018, 12:33:56 AM »
I just noticed all these replies and suggestions. Thank you, everyone.

Other Brahms stuff - it's a fair time away, but I've reached the end of the SSO brochure for the coming season and the final concert is Elisabeth Leonskaja playing the Brahms D minor PC. I know her name but have never heard her play anything. I see there's at least one recorded performance of it by her, so I could order the CD and have a listen. Ah, that's me just being a skinflint as usual - I should just buy tickets right now.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1009 on: May 02, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
Parenthetically . . . possibly the last time I heard Brahms at Symphony Hall, was on the concert when Peter Serkin premièred Wuorinen’s Fourth Concerto.  I ran into Charles during the intermission, to congratulate him, and I enjoyed a very pleasant chat with him.  The time nearly got away from us, and the lights dimmed to alert us that the second half was about to begin, and Charles playfully observed, “Now, to give the people the Brahms they came for.”
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #1010 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:12 AM »
^ good stuff! :)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1011 on: May 07, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
Happy birthday for one of the greatest composers ever!

Now playing the Violin concerto (Ferras, Karajan, BPO). Possibly my favorite performance.