Author Topic: CPE Bach (Carl Philipp Emanuel)  (Read 35520 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
Re: CPE Bach (Carl Philipp Emanuel)
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
I agree with you. It took me a disc or two to get used to the sound and style of CPE, but once I did, I could hardly put them down. I listened to them one after another, and never really found myself tired or 'needing a change'. Great set.

Ohhh, this looks interesting.

Thanks for the heads up, Jens!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

Classical CD Of The Week: C-P-Eppreciation! Or: The Rescue For Bach Junior

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/03/01/classical-cd-of-the-week-c-p-eppreciation-or-the-rescue-for-bach-junior/

Thanks again, Jens. Can you (or someone else) please tell me the width of this set when it sits on the shelf? (Perhaps a weird question, but shelf space is limited in my apartment.) 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
Thanks again, Jens. Can you (or someone else) please tell me the width of this set when it sits on the shelf? (Perhaps a weird question, but shelf space is limited in my apartment.) 
2 and 5/8 inches (roughly). :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
2 and 5/8 inches (roughly). :)
Yes, very tidy package.

This is a stunning set. Great sound and magnificent playing. She didn't just learn and play the music, this has been the heart of her performing repertoire for over a decade. This is one of the boxes I have played most often since I got it.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2017, 01:59:02 AM »

67mm
I hear you.  ;D No wider than those 23 CDs would be, stacked against each other in sleeves + booklet.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »
of the three recordings I have, this is my favorite. It seems forgotten after Spanyi and Staier. That's too bad. I have to be a little curious about the nuts and bolts of what Spanyi was working with all these years. I have all of the Spanyi and admire it. There's gold in there! But, would it be imprudent to ask if his work, at times, lacks in quality for what it gives us in definitvve quantity? I like Spanyi's individual choices. Will we ever get so much tangent piano? Yet, comparing to Barokorkestra and Melante...I don't know the history of Melante, but they're surprisingly convincing even next to the Staier. Plus, I can hear what Van Asperen is doing! And let's face it, next to Staier, he's no slouch! I wonder, are there any other recordings of the concertos, not these six, but others found in Spanyi, that might be lurking around?

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
of the three recordings I have, this is my favorite. It seems forgotten after Spanyi and Staier. That's too bad. I have to be a little curious about the nuts and bolts of what Spanyi was working with all these years. I have all of the Spanyi and admire it. There's gold in there! But, would it be imprudent to ask if his work, at times, lacks in quality for what it gives us in definitvve quantity? I like Spanyi's individual choices. Will we ever get so much tangent piano? Yet, comparing to Barokorkestra and Melante...I don't know the history of Melante, but they're surprisingly convincing even next to the Staier. Plus, I can hear what Van Asperen is doing! And let's face it, next to Staier, he's no slouch! I wonder, are there any other recordings of the concertos, not these six, but others found in Spanyi, that might be lurking around?

Good question. Like you, I have been somewhat overwhelmed with CPE in the last 5 or 6 years, they tend to get forgotten in dark corners of my collection. I do, however, have and much enjoy the disk you have pictured here. It makes me want to dig around and see what I have lurking back there. I rarely turn down a CPE disk so there's no telling.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Good question. Like you, I have been somewhat overwhelmed with CPE in the last 5 or 6 years, they tend to get forgotten in dark corners of my collection. I do, however, have and much enjoy the disk you have pictured here. It makes me want to dig around and see what I have lurking back there. I rarely turn down a CPE disk so there's no telling.  :)

8)
I think the critics forgot this one.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

I feel like plugging more stuff. These two disks are really good. One particularly astonishing track is the Arioso with an achingly sensitive performance by Butterfield backed by Cummings on clavichord. This is really something. Meanwhile Beyer and Stern turn in a sparkling performance with Stern employing fortepiano.

Here's another keeper - featuring the high quality of both performers and composer:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:25:36 PM by Que »

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »

I feel like plugging more stuff. These two disks are really good. One particularly astonishing track is the Arioso with an achingly sensitive performance by Butterfield backed by Cummings on clavichord. This is really something. Meanwhile Beyer and Stern turn in a sparkling performance with Stern employing fortepiano. 
Here's another keeper - featuring the high quality of both performers and composer:

I have the parrot one on ZigZag, it is excellent. When I got it, I was even surprised to discover he wrote any accompanied sonatas. I have the clavichord one in my wish list, wonder why I never pulled the trigger on it: Butterfield is one of my favorite fiddlers (Revolutionary Drawing Room). The other one I've never even seen, but I will say this, the 3 or 4 Winter & Winter disks I have are among the most outstanding SQ of all my disks, and excellent playing every time, so I wouldn't hesitate to take a flyer on it. Particularly since you rec it.  :)

8)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:24:54 PM by Gurn Blanston »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:54 PM »
I have the parrot one on ZigZag, it is excellent. When I got it, I was even surprised to discover he wrote any accompanied sonatas. I have the clavichord one in my wish list, wonder why I never pulled the trigger on it: Butterfield is one of my favorite fiddlers (Revolutionary Drawing Room). The other one I've never even seen, but I will say this, the 3 or 4 Winter & Winter disks I have are among the most outstanding SQ of all my disks, and excellent playing every time, so I wouldn't hesitate to take a flyer on it. Particularly since you rec it.  :)

8)
I'm really interested to know what you think of the Arioso. I haven't heard anything quite like it. It's really unique. It reminds me how they say this sort of music is the beginning of romanticism.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:37 PM »
[

The other one I've never even seen, but I will say this, the 3 or 4 Winter & Winter disks I have are among the most outstanding SQ of all my disks, and excellent playing every time, so I wouldn't hesitate to take a flyer on it. Particularly since you rec it.  :)

8)

That's a winner...Gurn, I'm surprised thst you missed that one!  :D
But you needn't hesitate - as you suspected it's really superb

Q
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:30:18 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Online Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.