Author Topic: Darius Milhaud (1892-1974)  (Read 26936 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
Re: Darius Milhaud (1892-1974)
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
I’ve been thinking a bit about Milhaud tonight and I think where I went sour with the composer was the symphony set (on CPO) and upon revisitation of said symphonies, I found myself downright irritated by how the music lacked direction, but, also, how so many of the symphonies sounded like the one that just proceeded it. I think Milhaud is at his best in the jazzy works where he’s obviously being quite cheeky. I think La création du monde may very well be the best thing he composed. I also think quite highly of his Chamber Symphonies Nos. 1-6.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
I’ve been thinking a bit about Milhaud tonight and I think where I went sour with the composer was the symphony set (on CPO) and upon revisitation of said symphonies, I found myself downright irritated by how the music lacked direction, but, also, how so many of the symphonies sounded like the one that just proceeded it. I think Milhaud is at his best in the jazzy works where he’s obviously being quite cheeky. I think La création du monde may very well be the best thing he composed. I also think quite highly of his Chamber Symphonies Nos. 1-6.

Symphonies:

1-2 DG
6-7 DG
4/8 Erato
10??

With this lineup (still don't have 10), I seem to have sidestepped the "effect" of the CPO Box. Just enough "directionlessness" without getting irritated (maybe sound image of CPO set leaves an aftertaste?)

Once one hears the dreariness of the 'Aspen Serenade', a lot of other Milhaud seems slightly more digestible, lol! ::)

Soon I think I may imagine links between Satie and Stravinsky,... through Milhaud/Poulenc??... and Debb... oh, I think I'm stuck in Frenchyland oui oui

bon mot
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:50:35 AM by Gurn Blanston »
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
Symphonies:

1-2 DG
6-7 DG
4/8 Erato
10??

With this lineup (still don't have 10), I seem to have sidestepped the "effect" of the CPO Box. Just enough "directionlessness" without getting irritated (maybe sound image of CPO set leaves an aftertaste?)

Once one hears the dreariness of the 'Aspen Serenade', a lot of other Milhaud seems slightly more digestible, lol! ::)

Soon I think I may imagine links between Satie and Stravinsky,... through Milhaud/Poulenc??... and Debb... oh, I think I'm stuck in Frenchyland oui oui

bon mot

No, the audio quality in the CPO is outstanding. It really is. There’s no ‘aftertaste’ whatsoever. If I was going to pick out a favorite Milhaud symphony, it would probably be his 1st. This one seems to be the only one where I can find some kind of direction and it doesn’t resort to empty note-spinning like the rest of the symphonies. I still stand by my previous opinion that his best works are when he’s not trying to be profound and he let’s the buttons down. He’s not a compelling composer, but he sure can make a joyful raucous, which I find charming it’s own way.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard