Author Topic: Darius Milhaud (1892-1974)  (Read 28808 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
Re: Darius Milhaud (1892-1974)
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
I’ve been thinking a bit about Milhaud tonight and I think where I went sour with the composer was the symphony set (on CPO) and upon revisitation of said symphonies, I found myself downright irritated by how the music lacked direction, but, also, how so many of the symphonies sounded like the one that just proceeded it. I think Milhaud is at his best in the jazzy works where he’s obviously being quite cheeky. I think La création du monde may very well be the best thing he composed. I also think quite highly of his Chamber Symphonies Nos. 1-6.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

snyprrr

« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
I’ve been thinking a bit about Milhaud tonight and I think where I went sour with the composer was the symphony set (on CPO) and upon revisitation of said symphonies, I found myself downright irritated by how the music lacked direction, but, also, how so many of the symphonies sounded like the one that just proceeded it. I think Milhaud is at his best in the jazzy works where he’s obviously being quite cheeky. I think La création du monde may very well be the best thing he composed. I also think quite highly of his Chamber Symphonies Nos. 1-6.

Symphonies:

1-2 DG
6-7 DG
4/8 Erato
10??

With this lineup (still don't have 10), I seem to have sidestepped the "effect" of the CPO Box. Just enough "directionlessness" without getting irritated (maybe sound image of CPO set leaves an aftertaste?)

Once one hears the dreariness of the 'Aspen Serenade', a lot of other Milhaud seems slightly more digestible, lol! ::)

Soon I think I may imagine links between Satie and Stravinsky,... through Milhaud/Poulenc??... and Debb... oh, I think I'm stuck in Frenchyland oui oui

bon mot
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:50:35 AM by Gurn Blanston »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
Symphonies:

1-2 DG
6-7 DG
4/8 Erato
10??

With this lineup (still don't have 10), I seem to have sidestepped the "effect" of the CPO Box. Just enough "directionlessness" without getting irritated (maybe sound image of CPO set leaves an aftertaste?)

Once one hears the dreariness of the 'Aspen Serenade', a lot of other Milhaud seems slightly more digestible, lol! ::)

Soon I think I may imagine links between Satie and Stravinsky,... through Milhaud/Poulenc??... and Debb... oh, I think I'm stuck in Frenchyland oui oui

bon mot

No, the audio quality in the CPO is outstanding. It really is. There’s no ‘aftertaste’ whatsoever. If I was going to pick out a favorite Milhaud symphony, it would probably be his 1st. This one seems to be the only one where I can find some kind of direction and it doesn’t resort to empty note-spinning like the rest of the symphonies. I still stand by my previous opinion that his best works are when he’s not trying to be profound and he let’s the buttons down. He’s not a compelling composer, but he sure can make a joyful raucous, which I find charming it’s own way.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
A major Milhaud rediscovery, which has recently been released on CD:

La bien-aimée, op. 101 is a 50-minute ballet scored for pianola and large orchestra, dedicated to Ida Rubinstein and premiered in 1928 on the same evening as Ravel’s Boléro. The music is based on Liszt and Schubert. It vanished completely after the first performance and was reconstructed last year for performances in Paris. The CD presents a suite (some 35’ of music), not the whole thing.

Some comments and the full concert in which the piece was unveiled (the program starts with Schubert’s Rosamunde incidental music, and ends with Le Sacre du printemps) can be found here.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:57:11 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
Milhaud has surprised me with La Création du Monde. It's the first time I give it a spin. The first thought that came to my mind was: this is very original! And not less than fun as well, with those witty jazz rhythms and earthly sounds. For things like this one I prefer the non-symphonic Milhaud. His chamber music appears to be more enjoyable too, IMHO of course.

Offline schnittkease

« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
Just wish he wasn't so #(%$-ing inconsistent!

Offline lescamil

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2018, 04:09:27 AM »
Just wish he wasn't so #(%$-ing inconsistent!

Part of the fun is making your way through and evaluating it, though!
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
I love both Le boeuf sur le toit and La Création du Monde, both superbly entertaining, witty, and jazzy works. I’ve been less impressed by most other Milhaud works I know, but I’ll admit that I haven’t heard too many.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
I used to have the vn/cl/pf trio performance set, but never actually played it.  It's pleasant, competently written, but there is nothing in it that makes me want to play it.

The chamber symphonies are, I think, among the best of his work that I have heard:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm5rri1zkvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm5rri1zkvU</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
I used to have the vn/cl/pf trio performance set, but never actually played it.  It's pleasant, competently written, but there is nothing in it that makes me want to play it.

The chamber symphonies are, I think, among the best of his work that I have heard:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm5rri1zkvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Sm5rri1zkvU</a>

I had forgot those little gems. Delightful pieces indeed!

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.