Author Topic: (Mozart) Late Piano Concerti w/ Beethoven Cadenzas  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
(Mozart) Late Piano Concerti w/ Beethoven Cadenzas
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
Hello,
  Could someone please recommend me a good CD set with only Mozart's late PC? (from #20 onwards, although I wouldn't mind one or two from the other side, on a piano and not too big an orchestra, if possible.)

Well, it seems simple enough, but I'm looking for recordings with Beethoven's cadenzas, so that rules out Brendel. And preferably, I'd like the concerti not to be spread over two CDs (as in the case of Brendel/ASMF and Curzon Kertesz/LSO Britten/ECO)

All I'm able to find (in the web) are box sets of all the concerti and single CDs with only a couple of them. I hope those are not too many constraints??  0:)

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Tyson

• [Music] washes away the dust of everyday life.
Re: (Mozart) Late Piano Concerti w/ Beethoven Cadenzas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »
Well, lots of people are about to rush in here and either (1) ignore your constraints and simply recommend their favorite recordings, or (2) ignore your constraints and simply recommend their favorite recordings.

Good luck.  Oh yes, and so I don't sound haughty, and to place myself firmly within the realm of hypocrite, I recommend Brendel!! ;)
At a loss for words.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
Hey, I can do the ignoring thing too! :D *Fingers still crossed* :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:57:55 AM »
The only recording that comes to mind is the Richter/Wislocki interpretation of the No.20 (KV.466) concerto, in which Richter plays the WoO.58 Beethoven cadenzas. I know for sure that it's included in the (not too easy to locate nowadays) "Historic Recordings" volume of the DG complete Beethoven edition but it may also have been released as an individual issue in the past.

PS. I'm almost positive there's no set out there that meets your requirements.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:59:26 AM by Wanderer »

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:08:37 AM »
The only recording that comes to mind is the Richter/Wislocki interpretation of the No.20 (KV.466) concerto, in which Richter plays the WoO.58 Beethoven cadenzas. I know for sure that it's included in the (not too easy to locate nowadays) "Historic Recordings" volume of the DG complete Beethoven edition but it may also have been released as an individual issue in the past.

HA! I have just (and I mean just) returned from the store where I usually make my CD purchases, and guess what was included in my purchase today!

:) Finally, K.466 is in my collection! And I got it along with three other CDs, each for the equivalent of $3.75!

PS. I'm almost positive there's no set out there that meets your requirements.

Hm...I realise that I put down too many conditions, but what I am looking for primarily are the Beethoven cadenzas, especially for the 20th. Before this, my only 20th was a downloaded video of Pires playing the concerto with the Berlin PO, with Boulez conducting. I rarely pay attention to the cadenza of any concerto, but this one's amazing! And after sampling the first movement from the Brendel set, I knew that I definitely preferred Beethoven to Brendel. ;)

Regards,
Navneeth

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK