Author Topic: Grigory Sokolov  (Read 23073 times)

uffeviking

Grigory Sokolov
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:57:28 AM »
I can't count the number of times I mentioned this greatest of all contemporary pianists without getting any reaction from GMG members. Now, it's the New York Times turn to draw attention to the artist:

http://www.nytimes.com:80/2008/04/17/arts/music/17grig.html?ex=1209096000&en=0dc89bb1f480759e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

MN Dave

Re: Grigory Sokolov
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »
Sidoze talks about him all the time.

uffeviking

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »
Here? At GMG? I remember some time ago, maybe even more than a year. maybe I am not reading the right postings here.

But thanks for pointing it out, I shall try to remedy any oversight! :)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:12:46 AM »
"Neither do discs, which, as a perfectionist, he stopped issuing in 1995 (this partly explains his American situation), although years ago Mr. Sokolovís recordings sent me hunting for a chance to hear him in person. On one of those discs he played Chopinís 24 Preludes with great sensitivity. He played them again the other night. It was, like all concerts likely to stay in the mind forever, nothing that could ever be captured digitally."

I'm just sorry he feels this way about recordings, which don't have to be highly manipulated, "planned" studio affairs--live recordings can be terrific.  And further, recordings can give listeners who can't attend the actual concerts much of the sense of actually being there, although obviously it is not the same experience.  (I would change the final phrase above to "...nothing that could ever be completely captured digitally," which of course is true.)

Anyway, in this day of easy, inexpensive and powerful public relations tools, it seems a bit anachronistic not to take advantage of all the media available to promote yourself as an artist.  Just my two cents...

In any case, the bottom line: I'd really like to hear him live sometime.

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

MN Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:13:58 AM »
Here? At GMG? I remember some time ago, maybe even more than a year. maybe I am not reading the right postings here.

Well, yeah...  :-\

MN Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:15:43 AM »
"On one of those discs he played Chopinís 24 Preludes with great sensitivity. He played them again the other night. It was, like all concerts likely to stay in the mind forever, nothing that could ever be captured digitally."

I always think that's a load of crap. You can catch sound just fine digitally. The live concerts I went to sounded worse than recordings I have.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »
That's right.  I'm just skeptical of artists these days who "don't make recordings," since now it is possible to make excellent ones easily and inexpensively.  It just seems like a shame if a great artist (and I'm assuming Sokolov is one) doesn't want to be documented.

--Bruce
     ~ Gustav Mahler

MN Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:22:52 AM »
That's right.  I'm just skeptical of artists these days who "don't make recordings," since now it is possible to make excellent ones easily and inexpensively.  It just seems like a shame if a great artist (and I'm assuming Sokolov is one) doesn't want to be documented.

--Bruce

Oh yeah, he's great. I have lots of his stuff on CD. You should check 'em out, Bruce.

lukeottevanger

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Tony (Sidoze) sent me a whole bunch of CDs containing live Sokolov recordings a couple of years back, and I have to say they are pretty astonishing stuff - sensitive and sensuous, wonderfully imaginative and thoughtful playing, but with a huge physical command that enables him to turn the stiffest of challenges into much more than just pyrotechnical prestidigitation. A more musical Three movements from Petrouchka would be heard to find, for example. Other than the discs Tony sent I only have his commercially released Brahms 3rd/Ballades disc - the same qualities are abundant there too.

There's quite a bit of him on Youtube, including a section of the aformentioned Stravinsky piece

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
I have a Sokolov recording of Schubert Sonatas D. 894 and D. 960.  The D.894 is excellent, but the D. 960 is disappointing.  The sonics aren't terrific and Sokolov didn't deliver a stellar performance either. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:24:34 AM by Bunny »

MN Dave

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:34:39 AM »
I have a Sokolov recording of Schubert Sonatas D. 864 and D. 960.  The D.864 is excellent, but the D. 960 is disappointing.  The sonics aren't terrific and Sokolov didn't deliver a stellar performance either. 

What's your favorite D 960?

Drasko

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »
Stravinsky - Three movements from Petrushka
Grigory Sokolov, live 1991 Tokyo

http://www.mediafire.com/?6mtnjegnj1p

Uploaded this few months ago for a friend, can't recall the bitrate I used, by the size of the file probably 192kbps.

uffeviking

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 07:48:25 AM »
Of course there is this phenomenal DVD:

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »
What's your favorite D 960?

I have a few favorite recordings of that, Andsnes, Richter, Staier are the first three that pop into mind.  Fleisher and Kempff also.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:25:33 AM by Bunny »

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:01 AM »
Of course there is this phenomenal DVD:

Looks like that is a "must," Lis--thanks.

--Bruce
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Renfield

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:38:25 AM »
He played here, in Athens, two weeks ago. And I missed him because of a stupid mix-up with the dates! >:(

I can't describe how that riled me. We get Grigory Sokolov, playing Chopin's Preludes, and I mix up the [censored] dates. ::)

BorisG

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
I have a Sokolov recording of Schubert Sonatas D. 894 and D. 960.  The D.894 is excellent, but the D. 960 is disappointing.  The sonics aren't terrific and Sokolov didn't deliver a stellar performance either. 

I have it, too. No complaints.

uffeviking

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »

I can't describe how that riled me. We get Grigory Sokolov, playing Chopin's Preludes, and I mix up the [censored] dates. ::)

Don't jump off the Acropolis, Renfield! I am sure there will be another appearance by this great pianist in the near future, since he prefers the European audience to the US!  8)

BorisG

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
Don't jump off the Acropolis, Renfield! I am sure there will be another appearance by this great pianist in the near future, since he prefers the European audience to the US!  8)

Has he been quoted as such? It has more to do with logistics, does it not?

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »
I have just recently started to collect Sokolov recordings when I realised just how good a pianist this man is. It started by accident when I saw this in a local record shop for only $35

It contained the Chopin Op 25 that a lot of people had raved about so I got it not expecting how good some of the other works in this set would be. I really now need to seek out the other 5CD set in this series which also contains the Chopin Preludes mentioned before. I also have a Hammerklavier from him that has the most wonderful adagio - as good if not better than Solomon's. There is also a Chopin recital that just blew me away (from Amsterdam in 2005). So finally I bit the bullet and bought this

There is a website with a discography on it that mentions recordings that don't seem to be available anywhere

http://www.internazionale.it/pagine/blognote/sokolov.htm

I'm very interested in his Beethoven. The four sonata recordings of his that I've heard (9, 10, 15 and 29) have all been excellent. If you get a chance to listen to some Sokolov you might find it very rewarding.
Cheers

Holden

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK