Author Topic: Grigory Sokolov  (Read 23051 times)

MN Dave

Re: Grigory Sokolov
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
I really now need to seek out the other 5CD set in this series which also contains the Chopin Preludes mentioned before.

Yes, you do.  $:)

Offline Novi

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »
He played here, in Athens, two weeks ago. And I missed him because of a stupid mix-up with the dates! >:(

I can't describe how that riled me. We get Grigory Sokolov, playing Chopin's Preludes, and I mix up the [censored] dates. ::)

Oh, I feel your pain.

He was scheduled to play in Glasgow in May, but has cancelled all his UK concerts because they wouldn't let him in without a biometric passport. I think it was the same programme as yours - the Preludes and some Mozart. I bought my tickets months ago and they were great seats too :'(.

It contained the Chopin Op 25 that a lot of people had raved about so I got it not expecting how good some of the other works in this set would be. I really now need to seek out the other 5CD set in this series which also contains the Chopin Preludes mentioned before. I also have a Hammerklavier from him that has the most wonderful adagio - as good if not better than Solomon's.

The Brahms in that other box is good too, particularly the Sonata op.5.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
Yes, you do.  $:)

Just ordered it via Amazon Classical plus the Arrau Diabelli Variations. Rob - does this count for the site?
Cheers

Holden

George

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
Just ordered it via Amazon Classical plus the Arrau Diabelli Variations. Rob - does this count for the site?

If you use the link at the top, yes it does.  :)

Offline Timmyb

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 05:21:54 AM »
I heard him give a performance of the rach 3 at the 1995 proms which made my jaw drop. :o

ezodisy

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
An early (and absolutely wonderful) video recording of Sokolov playing the Rachmaninoff PC 3 has been uploaded to Youtube. This is the first part (of 5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwp_pP09WPk

I heard him give a performance of the rach 3 at the 1995 proms which made my jaw drop.

There is a performance in Stockholm, from 1 or 2 or 3 years later, which is even better than the Proms performance (and the piano doesn't go horribly out of tune either)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »
I can't count the number of times I mentioned this greatest of all contemporary pianists without getting any reaction from GMG members. Now, it's the New York Times turn to draw attention to the artist:

http://www.nytimes.com:80/2008/04/17/arts/music/17grig.html?ex=1209096000&en=0dc89bb1f480759e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Sidoze does discuss him often (in fact, it's thanks to him that I've been sure to see Sokolov when he's been in my area). But when I mentioned that I'd seen Sokolov earlier this year at the BASF Feierabendhaus in Ludwigshafen (Mozart sonatas and Chopin Preludes) there was silence all around...even from Sidoze. Strange.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ezodisy

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
Sidoze does discuss him often (in fact, it's thanks to him that I've been sure to see Sokolov when he's been in my area). But when I mentioned that I'd seen Sokolov earlier this year at the BASF Feierabendhaus in Ludwigshafen (Mozart sonatas and Chopin Preludes) there was silence all around...even from Sidoze. Strange.

Sarge

I think it's already been mentioned, though if not, Sokolov has cancelled his UK concerts this year -- visa problems, apparently not willing to be fingerprinted as it would disrupt his routine and schedule. Totally understandable of course. I thought about going to see him play in Venice the week after next but recently came back from there so should really wait tiill next year (the hall looks amazing). There are some bootleg recordings of his Mozart/Chopin recitals going around though it's just not the same as sitting there and experiencing the sheer pressure of the atmosphere.

George

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 03:48:29 AM »

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 03:57:38 AM »
we'll be at a recital come April, but unfortunately it's not the Mozart / Chopin Op 28 programme. Apparently he's playing Beethoven / Schubert by that time.

George

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
we'll be at a recital come April, but unfortunately it's not the Mozart / Chopin Op 28 programme. Apparently he's playing Beethoven / Schubert by that time.

Yes, the reviews that i posted refer to those composers. Have a great time!

ezodisy

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 04:04:51 AM »
Program      L. van BEETHOVEN

Sonata n. 2 in A major op. 2 n. 2 (1795)

Sonata n. 13 "Sonata quasi una fantasia"
in E flat major op. 27 n. 1 (1800/01)

F. SCHUBERT
Sonata in D major op. 53 D 850 (1825)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Program      L. van BEETHOVEN

Sonata n. 2 in A major op. 2 n. 2 (1795)

Sonata n. 13 "Sonata quasi una fantasia"
in E flat major op. 27 n. 1 (1800/01)

F. SCHUBERT
Sonata in D major op. 53 D 850 (1825)

Let's hope he records the Beethoven.
Cheers

Holden

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

Ric,
Let's be realistic. The guy's OLD. I mean, he's exactly MY age, fer cryin' out loud. Let's hope he records EVERYTHING while he still has the memory and the chops!
 ;D

Dirk

George

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »

+ 1

Offline aquablob

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »
Sokolov + LvB Op. 120 = :)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
Ric,
Let's be realistic. The guy's OLD.

and his hairdo is even older.

maybe bangbang could lend him some gel.

ezodisy

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 05:44:56 PM »
+ 1

George,  How is this recording?  I asked you a while back about it.  Is it worth having?

George

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »
George,  How is this recording?  I asked you a while back about it.  Is it worth having?

Yes, I think so. The Etudes alone make it worth it. Others can say more about these performances than me, as I have only heard the set once.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK