Author Topic: Grigory Sokolov  (Read 22982 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Re: Grigory Sokolov
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »
The Preludes are very interesting and I really like the Sonata. The jewel in the crown is the Op 25 Etudes which i rate as number one alongside the Ginzburg version. You won't regret getting this.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
Has Grigory Sokolov recorded WTC?

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
The Preludes are very interesting and I really like the Sonata. The jewel in the crown is the Op 25 Etudes which i rate as number one alongside the Ginzburg version. You won't regret getting this.

As a JS Bach fanatic, I tend to judge most piano virtuosi by how they perform Bach keyboard works if they do at all.  Sviatoslav Richter is real special in this respect.  I also enjoyed the Art of Fugue by Tatiana Nikolayeva on Hyperion, a recently acquired CD.

Offline Novi

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
As a JS Bach fanatic, I tend to judge most piano virtuosi by how they perform Bach keyboard works if they do at all.  Sviatoslav Richter is real special in this respect.  I also enjoyed the Art of Fugue by Tatiana Nikolayeva on Hyperion, a recently acquired CD.

Sokolov has recorded Art of Fugue :). If you're getting his Chopin, you may wish to consider this boxset and this other boxset as well.

As for his Chopin, I like it well enough, although I find it a little heavy at times. But I love his Diabelli and his Russians 8).

There's a fair bit of his Bach on youtube if you wish to sample. I see that someone has posted his Goldbergs recently - I haven't listened to these yet, but there are some bits and pieces of partitas and so forth that are phenomenal (IMHO).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
Sokolov has recorded Art of Fugue :). If you're getting his Chopin, you may wish to consider this boxset and this other boxset as well.

As for his Chopin, I like it well enough, although I find it a little heavy at times. But I love his Diabelli and his Russians 8).

There's a fair bit of his Bach on youtube if you wish to sample. I see that someone has posted his Goldbergs recently - I haven't listened to these yet, but there are some bits and pieces of partitas and so forth that are phenomenal (IMHO).

The first set looks very interesting.  I bought the Goldberg Variations by Tatiana Nikolayeva recently and the performance was excellent.

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
Has Grigory Sokolov recorded WTC?
No, but there are scattered bootlegs around which form an almost complete set.

Renfield

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
The Preludes are very interesting and I really like the Sonata. The jewel in the crown is the Op 25 Etudes [...]. You won't regret getting this.

Heartily seconded, and I love his Art of the Fugue as well, Coopmv. :)

George

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 04:20:33 AM »
Free download of a live broadcast of the Beethoven PC 1 by Sokolov with Pinnock. This was broadcasted by The Bavarian Radio (Bayern 4 Klassik). 

It was uploaded by another fan of the pianist and link will not last long. (a day or two)

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ3J3SP0
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:23:41 AM by George »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 04:44:53 AM »
Sokolov has recorded Art of Fugue :).

Sokolov´s Art of Fugue is marred by an unashamed romantic approach alien to Bach IMO. I might well imagine, that this also is true of Nicolayeva´s AoF (which I have not heard). But each to his own.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 04:56:56 AM »
Free download of a live broadcast of the Beethoven PC 1 by Sokolov with Pinnock. This was broadcasted by The Bavarian Radio (Bayern 4 Klassik). 

It was uploaded by another fan of the pianist and link will not last long. (a day or two)

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ3J3SP0

George,  What kind of website is that? 

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 04:59:27 AM »
Sokolov´s Art of Fugue is marred by an unashamed romantic approach alien to Bach IMO. I might well imagine, that this also is true of Nicolayeva´s AoF (which I have not heard). But each to his own.

Overly romantic approach to any of Bach's compositions may sound sweet to the ears but is clearly not HIP ...

George

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 05:01:55 AM »
George,  What kind of website is that? 

It's a filesharing one, basically storage space for downloads, just like mediafire/rapidshare, etc.

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
Overly romantic approach to any of Bach's compositions may sound sweet to the ears but is clearly not HIP ...

Well, I am not going to say, that HIP is the full truth, but romanticism is surely false.  :)
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2009, 05:23:01 AM »
Well, I am not going to say, that HIP is the full truth, but romanticism is surely false.  :)

People should seek romanticism in works of Tchaikovsky, Ramaninoff and Wagner, but not in works of JS Bach.

Renfield

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »

People should seek romanticism in works of Tchaikovsky, Ramaninoff and Wagner, but not in works of JS Bach.

I don't think people should seek anything! ;)

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 05:25:58 AM »

Unfortunately people can do what they want, but again: Each to his own.
Tiden læger alle sår,

• Veteran member
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
I don't think people should seek anything! ;)

And they should not be carpet-bombed with anachronistic romanticism in Bach´s music.
But they do, because they ask for it themselves.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »
George,  Is this recording included in the following set?  I expect to get the set shortly.

ezodisy

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 05:35:10 AM »
Unfortunately people can do what they want, but again: Each to his own.

unfortunately?

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
Tiden læger alle sår,

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK