Author Topic: ~ Baroque Opera ~  (Read 37676 times)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Re: ~ Baroque Opera ~
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
Savennieres,

Offline JCBuckley

« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
Coming next month - Mondonville's Isbé, from György Vashegyi & Orfeo Orchestra & Purcell Choir

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2016, 09:02:34 AM »
Coming next month - Mondonville's Isbé, from György Vashegyi & Orfeo Orchestra & Purcell Choir
Ow, ow, ow, me want!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
« Reply #223 on: January 01, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
Seems there's no general Händel operas thread here, right? So allow me to cross-post this (from the listening thread) here - reference is made to the Christie recording (from 1999) which I had played just before:

Compared to Christie, I guess Joyce DiDonato is even more brilliant in the title role than Renée Fleming, the Ruggerios both sound very good (Maite Beaumont, Susan Graham), both Morganas are great (I love Natalie Dessay who sings the part with Christie - she's quite different from Karina Gauvin, who's another favourite and sings with Curtis ... Dessay being more on-the-edge, nervous, livelier), while Christie clearly has the edge on Bradamante, sung wonderfully by Kathleen Kuhlmann (who already sang the part with Hickox in what many still seem to consider the best recording of "Alcina"), while Sonia Prina applies way too much vibrato to my taste ... I guess the men are fine in both, and so are the Obertos, but Laurent Naouri (Melisso w/Christie) is maybe somewhat finer than the others ... in general, the Curtis sound amazing, warm and full (though the orchestra is pretty small, all names are given in the booklet of the full edition, same for chorus which is just the soloists plus six extras). But then, regardless, the Christie performance is more animated, more varied, more lively, I find. Hard to pick, really ... which goes for the Hickox as well, which has Arleen Augér in the title role, Della Jones as Ruggiero, and as mentioned, Kuhlmann as Bradamante. If I had to pick one today, I'd tend to go with the Christie, though the extra aria for Ruggiero that Curtis adds is a clear plus ("Bramo di trionfar", inserted as Scene 7 in Act 1).

Either way, it shall be amazing to hear Bartoli and Jaroussky (and Antonini conducting), I'm sure!

What are people's thoughts on "Alcina" here, what recording(s) do you prefer and why? And is the DVD from Aix with Petibon, Jaroussky, Prohaska et al. (Marcon, Erato) as enticing as it looks? (If it's only half as enticing, I'll have to get it.)
Tornate, o cari baci,
a ritornarmi in vita,
baci al mio cor digiun esca gradita!
Voi di quel dolce amaro
per cui languir m’è caro,
di quel dolce non meno
nettare che veleno
pascete i miei famelici desiri,
luci in cui dolci provo anco i sospiri!

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #224 on: January 01, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
Hickox is more complete as far as I recall (I think Christie cuts some of the Ballet music) and Augér preferable to Fleming IMO. But Dessay is great on the Christie (I still got rid of it due to space reasons and only kept the Hickox, maybe some day when I really get into watching opera on DVD I'll get another one).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Hm, Christie has a few cuts here and there, it seems (or so I read in a review online) - but mostly minor ones (ballet music, a da capo here and there).

Just comparing Curtis with Hickox now (Hickox adds that extra aria, "Bramo di trionfar", with the opening recitative at the end of disc 3 as a bonus), and it seems Curtis omits the ballet music at the end of act 2, but other than that, it's all there (can't tell about repeats or partial cuts of course ... and Hickox adds a chorus bonus, too, "Questo è il cielo de' contenti").
Tornate, o cari baci,
a ritornarmi in vita,
baci al mio cor digiun esca gradita!
Voi di quel dolce amaro
per cui languir m’è caro,
di quel dolce non meno
nettare che veleno
pascete i miei famelici desiri,
luci in cui dolci provo anco i sospiri!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK