Selected Music Magazine Subscriptions - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: German Baroque Music  (Read 47835 times)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Re: German Baroque Music
« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Of course the word "pedantic" was not written with you in mind. It wasn´t but a general (rhetoric) consideration. And never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that you might feel it intended for you.

Phewww, glad to hear that. ;)

Huguette Gremy-Chauliac is an outstanding musician, judged from her Dieupart suites and the two other recordings of hers I own (lesser known Händel suites and suites by L. Couperin). But mp3 download isn´t exactly me.

I only know her Dieupart and that is indeed outstanding, a marvelous disc which is one of my favourite harpsichord recordings.

I do not know the Andrus Madsen double CD, but as late as yesterday I put it on my wishlist and shall acquire it within foreseeable time.

Will be interested in your findings. :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • The tack not taken
« Reply #441 on: November 21, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
Any opinions on this, please?

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. --- Victor Hugo

Today’s conservatives are nothing more than liberals who have been ill-treated by democracy. --- Nicolas Gomez Davila

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
Posted in the listening thread and a new acquisition  only (own the 2-disc chamber set added below) - so for me an introduction to another earlier Baroque composer - the harpsichord CD is excellent - must checkout some of Weckmann's sacred works - seen a couple recordings posted here - Dave :)

Weckmann, Matthias (c. 1616-1664) - Works for Harpsichord w/ Jan Katzschke on a harpsichord based on German models around 1700 by Dietrich Hein & a lute harpsichord built by Keith Hill in the USA based on historic information (5 of the 16 tracks played on the latter instrument - love the gut strings!) - excellent review by Mr. Bruno HERE - Dave :)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
Posted in the listening thread and a new acquisition  only (own the 2-disc chamber set added below) - so for me an introduction to another earlier Baroque composer - the harpsichord CD is excellent - must checkout some of Weckmann's sacred works - seen a couple recordings posted here - Dave :)

Do not forget Siebe Henstra´s harpsichord Weckmann CD in the Ricercare twofer. It is rather good, even if it is not as imaginative as Katzschke´s.

My favorite Weckmann harpsichord CD´s are the one by Noelle Spieth on Solstice - only available as download:

http://www.amazon.com/Weckmann-L-uvre-pour-clavecin/dp/B003ELJS1E/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1385506637&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=weckmann+noelle+spieth

and the Gustav Leonhardt Sony CD with works by Weckmann and Froberger.
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »
Do not forget Siebe Henstra´s harpsichord Weckmann CD in the Ricercare twofer. It is rather good, even if it is not as imaginative as Katzschke´s.

My favorite Weckmann harpsichord CD´s are the one by Noelle Spieth on Solstice - only available as download:

http://www.amazon.com/Weckmann-L-uvre-pour-clavecin/dp/B003ELJS1E/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1385506637&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=weckmann+noelle+spieth

and the Gustav Leonhardt Sony CD with works by Weckmann and Froberger.

Hi Premont - the Spieth DL is of interest - did a brief comparison and seems to be just a little overlap in the works performed.  In the meantime, I wanted to obtain some of Weckmann's vocal works and ordered the CD below from Amazon - thanks for the comments - Dave :)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
Hi Premont - the Spieth DL is of interest - did a brief comparison and seems to be just a little overlap in the works performed.  In the meantime, I wanted to obtain some of Weckmann's vocal works and ordered the CD below from Amazon - thanks for the comments - Dave :)

Relative few works of Weckmann are extant to day, and all three recordings (Spieth, Katzschke and Henstra) claim to contain Weckmann´s complete harpsichord works. .
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Relative few works of Weckmann are extant to day, and all three recordings (Spieth, Katzschke and Henstra) claim to contain Weckmann´s complete harpsichord works. .

Well, after your recommendation yesterday, I did an MP3 DL from ClassicsOnline - burned the files to a CD-R and listened this morning - I agree the performance is excellent (but I also like the other) - there was a glitch in tract 6, so I'll burn another CD-R today (and likely skip that tract - it does play on my computer - just don't want to make a lot of 'coasters'!)  -  Dave :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #447 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

I just want to share this discovery I found on spotify, in case anyone has the time and interest to check it out. I don't know anything about the organist, I can't find any English or French informantion about Martin Neu on line. The Ahrend organ in Herzogenaurach is small scale, colourful, and I think it sounds just right. The CD contains two Boehm choral partitas, I just think the performances are wonderful - lyrical, rapt, introspective music making.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:14:49 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline thebestsound

« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
I may be way out in left field, but I'm trying to find some German horn music I heard on a disc from my local library. The disc is long gone (some rat stole or lost it).  I think Hermann Baumann was the fellow playing the antique horns. The title might have been German Hunting Music. This might not be considered baroque music.  Anyone know something about this ? Thanks

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • Do not fear Klemperer's Papa!
  • Currently Listening to:
    For classical: A ton of Handel. On the side: Exotica, retro lounge and space age pop!
« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
I may be way out in left field, but I'm trying to find some German horn music I heard on a disc from my local library. The disc is long gone (some rat stole or lost it).  I think Hermann Baumann was the fellow playing the antique horns. The title might have been German Hunting Music. This might not be considered baroque music.  Anyone know something about this ? Thanks

Three pages to choose from here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A5174%2Cn%3A85%2Ck%3Ahunting+horns&keywords=hunting+horns&ie=UTF8&qid=1393553254

and best guess:

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK