Selected Music Magazine Subscriptions - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Diabelli Variations  (Read 11456 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
Re: Diabelli Variations
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »

"András Schiff has now recorded - on two period instruments – remarkable, contrasting versions of the Diabelli Variations alongside major late works with intrinsic ties to them. The Sonata Op. 111 and the Diabelli Variations (CD 1) are played on an original Bechstein grand from 1921, and the second reading of the Diabelli Variations, (paired with the op. 126 Bagatelles on CD 2) on a Hammerflugel fortepiano from Beethoven's own day.

"In his liner note András Schiff acknowledges the value of having been able to consult the previously unknown original manuscript of the Variations which provided invaluable insight into Beethoven's compositional process and intentions."

Huh. I've never heard of the Hammerflugel workshop before.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
  • Nicanor Parra (September 5, 1914)
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »

Huh. I've never heard of the Hammerflugel workshop before.
:D ;D :D

It's almost so famous like the harpsichord workshop Cembalo.  :)
sic transit gloria mundi
with no glory
with no world
without a miserable bologna sandwich.

-- excerpt from the antipoem "Sic transit Gloria Swanson"

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2013, 02:33:06 AM »
I just want to maintain a list of the performances I've listened to, and this seems like as good a place as any. I seem to be on a major DV journey at the moment. I'll just keep modifying the list

Top recordings

Leonard Shure (Epic)
Michael Oelbaum
Rosen
Kuerti
Sokolov
Pollini (live preferably)
Horszowski
Daria Rabotkina
Bernard Roberts
S Richter (Prague)
Mustonen
Nikolayeve 1979
Brendel 2001
Kovacevich (Onyx)

Need to revisit to get my head round

Vieru
Arrau (2 recordings)
Cooper
Gulda (2 recordings)
Ciani
Katchen
Petermandl
R Serkin (live and.studio)
Pludermacher
Rangell
Sheppard
John Browning

Fine but not special for me

Schiff
Anderszewski
Lefébure
Frith
Lewis
Yudina
Ugorski

Don't much want to hear again

Schnabel
Backhaus
S Richter (1950s)
Komen
Afanassiev
Kinderman
Korstick
Richter-Haaser
Brendel 1977
Leonard Shure (audiofon)

Haven't heard and want to hear

Nikolayeva 1981
Koroliov
Kovacevich (Philips)
John Browning
Amadeus Webersinke
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:23:44 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Pat B

• A=430
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
Has your opinion on Komen changed? You seemed fairly enthusiastic about it in the Beethoven in Period Performances thread (as did everybody else) but that's several years ago now.

I like it, though I haven't heard very many other recordings. Mustonen is available at my library so I'll be sure to check that out.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
Has your opinion on Komen changed? You seemed fairly enthusiastic about it in the Beethoven in Period Performances thread (as did everybody else) but that's several years ago now.

I like it, though I haven't heard very many other recordings. Mustonen is available at my library so I'll be sure to check that out.

I have indeed changed my mind about Komen.  I just don't notice anything really insightful or remarkable about it, and that makes me not want to hear it again. Maybe others have seen what I've missed.  When I made positive comments years ago I really wan't aware of what this music can be. And what I look for now is different from what impressed me then.

The Mustonen. I dithered about whether to mention that, because it's just so quirky and smart arse, iconoclastic almost. But I played it again a couple of times and I decided that the sheer liveliness and colourfulness was irresistable, it's like he's constantly making you prick up your ears, Even if his musical decisions are really sometimes his whims, I like to hear what he does. And for me, that's enough. I'm not saying it's deep or revealing or anything, I just enjoy it.  Generally I enjoy Mustonen, in Shostakovich and Scriabin for example.

As you can see the list is really personal and probably useless to anyone else, I made it for me really - I seem to be listening to so many of these things I need a way of keeping some sort of track.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:58:33 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Pat B

• A=430
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Thanks for the elaborations. Of course you're correct that any such list is personal, but I have enjoyed some of the things you endorsed. In the case of Mustonen it won't cost me anything other than the time to listen to it. :)

As an aside I have Kovacevich '68 on order.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »

Finished up a first go-round with Mr Goodyear's Diabelli's today.  The disc is in much better sound than his sonata cycle, with just the right perspective and clarity and weight.  Goodyear is not much of a colorist; instead he focuses clarity of voices, rhythm, and dynamics.  He also plays fast, often very fast, much of the time, though he does slow way down in variation 20, playing it more as an Adagio than Andante, and he offers maximum possible contrast by then playing variation 21 at super-human speed.  A most enjoyable recording.  I shall listen again soon, very soon.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK