Author Topic: LvB 1-9 Compilation  (Read 2588 times)

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
Re: LvB 1-9 Compilation
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »
Ah...one of my favorites too. Good choice.

Sarge

The only one where the singers actually manage to sing what's written and stay together while doing it!  ;) Solti is great for un-messing pre-programmed train wrecks. That last movement just wasn't meant to be sung... it was written for string quartet or something, not for human singers.

Offline chung

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
There have been a number of threads lately on this and other forums regarding complete LvB symphony cycles from the likes of Reiner, Cluytens, Toscanini, etc which I have replied to. Just recently a friend asked me to burn a complete set of the symphonies for him and this left me with a dilemma. I don't have a complete set that I am totally satisfied with, each one I think of has at least one dud performance. The nearest I could get was Cluytens but his 5th is rather wishy washy and his 8th uninspiring. Monteux is excellent apart from his 9th and the same can be said of Walter. So I decided to make a compilation of my favourite recording of each symphony and this was what i initially came up with.

#1 Toscanini
#2 Cluytens
#3 Toscanini
#4 Walter
#5 Karajan
#6 Walter
#7 Monteux
#8 Fricsay
#9 Fricsay

When I realised that he wanted them all in stereo I had to substitute Reiner for #1 and the Leibowitz for the Eroica - both easy choices. Given the same task, what would you put together?

1. Krips/LSO
2. Blomstedt/SD
3. Cluytens/BP
4. Szell/CO
5. Kleiber/WP
6. Mackerras/RLPO
7. Konwitschny/GL
8. Leibowitz/RPO
9. Leinsdorf/BSO

Offline Xenophanes

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »
1. Ansermet or Leibowitz
2. Ansermet or Leibowitz
3. Ansermet or Leibowitz
4. Ansermet, Leibowitz, or Suitner
5. Ansermet
6. Ansermet
7. Ansermet
8. Leibowitz
9. Suitner or Leibowitz

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    7 piles of CDs--1) operas & choral works, 2) solo piano works, 3) orchestral works, 4) chamber music, 5) Beethoven symphonies, 6) Horowitz @ Carnegie hall box, 7) the BIG Toscanini RCA box. Cycling from one to another.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
1) Solti II, CSO
2) Solti II, CSO
3) Furtwangler 1951?
4) Klemperer
5) Reiner
6) Szell
7) Solti
8) Szell
9) Tennstedt, London Phil.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline J.A.W.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
Reviving this old thread - I am looking for the best sounding version of Toscanini's 1939 Beethoven cycle, though I realize "best sounding" is a euphemism in this case :) There are, of course, the old and OOP Naxos discs that were done by Richard Caniell, and also the 2013 Music & Arts set and the 2016 Immortal Performances set, again done by Richard Caniell. The M&A set is not complete and uses "harmonic balancing" mastering by Aaron Z. Snyder, which seems to resemble Pristine/Andrew Rose's mastering style, a style I don't like ("ambient stereo" in pre-stereo recordings, no thanks), while the IP set uses CD-Rs, no CDs, and my personal experiences with CD-Rs are not that positive.

Any recommendations and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hans

Offline J.A.W.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »
Reviving this old thread - I am looking for the best sounding version of Toscanini's 1939 Beethoven cycle, though I realize "best sounding" is a euphemism in this case :) There are, of course, the old and OOP Naxos discs that were done by Richard Caniell, and also the 2013 Music & Arts set and the 2016 Immortal Performances set, again done by Richard Caniell. The M&A set is not complete and uses "harmonic balancing" mastering by Aaron Z. Snyder, which seems to resemble Pristine/Andrew Rose's mastering style, a style I don't like ("ambient stereo" in pre-stereo recordings, no thanks), while the IP set uses CD-Rs, no CDs, and my personal experiences with CD-Rs are not that positive.

Any recommendations and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone?
Hans

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 03:47:22 AM »
Anyone?

Well, no recommendation, and very little opinion I'm afraid, but what I'd like to know is the quality and provenance of Andromeda set, i.e. where they've stolen their transfers from on this occasion?

I had one CD of the Naxos series, unfortunately I've culled it (shouldn't have), and as far as I remember sound wasn't great but wasn't unpleasant and definitely was listenable.

As for M&A I must say I'm also a bit wary about their har-bal process which, from admittedly very little info, seems to include a lot of conjecture. But the results do sound pretty impressive. 
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK