Author Topic: Bach's Cello Suites  (Read 66801 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Bach's Cello Suites
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »
Its a studio performance which was made 7 to 8 years prior to the live one you are watching.

Merci bien.
GMG membership can be detrimental to your financial health!

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #461 on: December 03, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
Count me in as another fan of Anner Bijlsma (2nd recording on Sony).  :)

Another I really like is Paolo Beshi  (Winter & Winter):

@Dave, wich recording on violoncello da spalla do you prefer - Sigiswald Kuijken or Dimitri Badiarov? :)

Hi Que - some discussion throughout the 'Old Musical Instruments' thread HERE; also, Dmitry Badiarov has a BLOG w/ an excellent article - love the fact that he made and played his own instrument!  Searching the web, not much in the way of reviews - see attached PDF; also, Spotify and/or YouTube might offer some samplings.

BUT, this morning, I re-listened to the first discs of each performer (had been a while) - the timings of the discs are nearly identical.  Both play their instruments well w/ plenty of nuance - however, in one of the reviews in the attachment, mention was made of some echoing & reverb in the Badiarov recording, and I have to agree, i.e. he seems a little more in the background and I always prefer 'up front' sound.  Bottom line - I believe that you would enjoy either one and hopefully some 'sampling' may help.  Dave :)

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
@Dave, wich recording on violoncello da spalla do you prefer - Sigiswald Kuijken or Dimitri Badiarov? :)

Q

Terakado, after all I'm not Sonic.  8) :D
“Pretend to be good always and even God will be fooled.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

Gordo - LOL! :)  Never searched for 'other' performances on the shoulder cello, but yet another one - $56 on Amazon at the moment - are there others out there? 

BTW - for others who have mentioned the Smith theorbo recordings below - only one available currently on Amazon USA - be nice if Naive would put both discs into a nice 'slim' CD case for the price of one - ;)  BUT, these are available on Spotify, so may plug my iPad into the den stereo and take a listen this afternoon - Dave

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #464 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
I choose Badiarov because I like the sound of his instrument most, and I like the feeling of the hall in the recording, which seems really realistic. I'd miss Terakado a lot though, who is intense as hell in the last three, and very controlled and expressive, which is something I like. But I do like Badiarov's sound, and the rather aristocratic and inflected style.

I have the Kuijken too but every time I try to hear it I feel it's too empty affectively, but it could be me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:25:22 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
I find Badiarov manly and Terakado feminine. In this terminology Kuijken feels a tad sexless.
As to preferences I like Badiarov and Terakado equally and Kuijken a little less.
res severa verum gaudium

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »

Ah...gotcha.. a third candidate! 

I guess more choice is kind of an upside to being a slow mover.... :D

Thank you all gentlemen, for your comments! :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
I choose Badiarov because I like the sound of his instrument most, and I like the feeling of the hall in the recording, which seems really realistic.

Being Badiarov the builder of these violas da spalla, he maybe reserved the best for himself.  ;D

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
I find Badiarov manly and Terakado feminine. In this terminology Kuijken feels a tad sexless.
As to preferences I like Badiarov and Terakado equally and Kuijken a little less.

I find your comment oversexed:P :D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK