Author Topic: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier  (Read 160070 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier
« Reply #1400 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
What he's saying, I think, is that he's  following the score
If that's what he is doing, I think it's hard to imagine unintended deviations in alignment would make such good music! Of course he's chosen tempos, articulation etc so that's got a lot to do with why it works so well too I'm sure,

As I have written before, with due respect to Keith Hill I consider his idea to be rather fanciful, because I do not recall, that I ever have seen a hand written score with complete alignment of the parts. And the principle of introducing microdesynchronisations between the parts will in every case work well in Rübsam's hands. He does not need to adhere strictly to any given scheme, and in this case he also said himself, that he does not do it in the same way every time he is playing a piece. So score or not - it is Rübsam himself, who creates this original and fruitful realisation of the score.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #1401 on: January 11, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
Vartolo is a good place to start investigating, in Frescobaldi Capricci for example, Vartolo's Capricci are a very good thing to hear when Rubsam's latest AoF is fresh in your mind, in my experience, they complement each other nicely somehow.

Which Vartolo are you referring to? The one on tactus?

I just listened to his Goldberg variations, and it is also very much "horizontal" in the manner of Rubsam. Quite interesting. I think Rubsam made a Goldberg on the Lautenwerck that is going to be released soon.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1402 on: January 11, 2018, 07:51:11 PM »

I just listened to his Goldberg variations, and it is also very much "horizontal" in the manner of Rubsam. Quite interesting. I think Rubsam made a Goldberg on the Lautenwerck that is going to be released soon.
Indeed he responded on FB that this is the case - to be released on Naxos.

What he's saying, I think, is that he's  following the score

With Vartolo, he'd be one of the first to see it this way? Whatever the case is, it's a fascinating recording and discussion. Maybe it will take the Naxos release to get more publications musing about it.

I'm going to listen to more Vartolo today.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1403 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:43 PM »
Actually I just looked at some of the manuscript of WTC, it's easy to find examples online, and keith Hill and Wolfgang Rübsam are right to say that the voices are slightly out of line. But I also looked at the manuscript of a Mozart piano sonata and that too seemed no more aligned than the Bach.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1404 on: January 12, 2018, 03:51:42 AM »
Quite interesting. I think Rubsam made a Goldberg on the Lautenwerck that is going to be released soon.

Yes, in august this year.
Tiden læger alle sår,

• Veteran member
« Reply #1405 on: January 12, 2018, 03:56:05 AM »
Actually I just looked at some of the manuscript of WTC, it's easy to find examples online, and keith Hill and Wolfgang Rübsam are right to say that the voices are slightly out of line. But I also looked at the manuscript of a Mozart piano sonata and that too seemed no more aligned than the Bach.

Yes, this is in principle what I just wrote above, and the reason why I find Hill's theory to be overinterpretation (read: free fancy).
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1406 on: January 12, 2018, 04:26:59 AM »

Yes, the Tactus and Naxos are the same. It's really the Fredscobaldi that I was thinking of, it's a while since I heard his Bach.

Cera's French suits may also be a bit horizontal, I'm not sure. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1407 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:54 AM »
Yes, the Tactus and Naxos are the same. It's really the Fredscobaldi that I was thinking of..

Oh no, Vartolo recorded only the Fantasie Book I, Ricercari and Canzoni Francesi for Naxos, but these recordings were not released by Tactus. These works were recorded for Tactus by Francesco Tasini.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1408 on: January 12, 2018, 05:41:49 AM »
Oh no, Vartolo recorded only the Fantasie Book I, Ricercari and Canzoni Francesi for Naxos, but these recordings were not released by Tactus. These works were recorded for Tactus by Francesco Tasini.

That is what I thought I remembered.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK