RECENTLY DISCUSSED ON GMG - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier  (Read 76879 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier
« Reply #900 on: June 29, 2011, 04:40:31 AM »
Your replies are crystal clear, Premont, but this question was about Wilson and Leonhardt:

Sorry I got you wrong, because I did not read the former posts before answering, and perhaps also because I did not in my wildest fantasies suppose, that you meant to ask me if I think Wilson and Leonhardt should be avoided.
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #901 on: June 29, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
Sorry I got you wrong, because I did not read the former posts before answering, and perhaps also because I did not in my wildest fantasies suppose, that you meant to ask me if I think Wilson and Leonhardt should be avoided.

Yes, it was exactly my reaction when I did read: "No unanimity on my part" on your Reply #893.

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #902 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
No, I do not think Watchorn´s book I should be avoided - and certainly not by a completist. But it is too leaden and special to deserve the rank of a first choice...

BTW, I emphatically disagree about this, but I prefer to listen to again this Bk. 1 before posting any more detailed comment. I have not listened to Watchorn's WTC for some months, but I recall his Bk. 1 as deeply musical, with a wide range of affetti superbly expressed, well recorded on a beautiful instrument and with a very pleasant use of Lehman's tuning. 

• Veteran member
« Reply #903 on: July 01, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
Yes, it was exactly my reaction when I did read: "No unanimity on my part" on your Reply #893.

My fault. :-[ I misinterpreted the word unanimity, thinking it meant un-animity (disagreement) instead of un(a)-animity (agreement).
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

• Veteran member
« Reply #904 on: July 01, 2011, 07:05:30 AM »
... I prefer to listen to again this Bk. 1 before posting any more detailed comment...

So do I.
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • Do not fear Klemperer's Papa!
  • Currently Listening to:
    For classical: A ton of Handel. On the side: Exotica, retro lounge and space age pop!
« Reply #905 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »
For 5 bones, could not resist getting this set:

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #906 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »

I just hope they weren't yours! The bones I mean!  ;D
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • Do not fear Klemperer's Papa!
    For classical: A ton of Handel. On the side: Exotica, retro lounge and space age pop!
« Reply #907 on: July 12, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »
I just hope they weren't yours! The bones I mean!  ;D

May just be worth the real ones....I'll let you know. :)

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #908 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
A bit late I realize, but I'm currently listening to Gieseking's WTC, Book 1.  I was catching up on this thread and saw it mentioned, and then remembered that I had found a copy at my library last year and ripped it to MP3 along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Overall this is better than I was expecting -- after one spin it's not breaking in among my favorites by any stretch, but I'm glad I've finally given it a listen.  It has lousy sound quality (most likely due to excessive noise reduction, as I think George mentioned), and his speeds are a bit fast for me at times, although not universally so (I'm hearing BWV 849 now, and it's rather leisurely). 

By the by, there also seems to be another Gieseking WTC out now, recorded for Saar Radio according to Amazon...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Bulldog

« Reply #909 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
A bit late I realize, but I'm currently listening to Gieseking's WTC, Book 1.  I was catching up on this thread and saw it mentioned, and then remembered that I had found a copy at my library last year and ripped it to MP3 along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Overall this is better than I was expecting --

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the Gieseking set.  Yes, the sound is poor, but I think Gieseking does nothing to rise above it.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #910 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »

Part of the problem there, for me, is that it's quite closely miked and for me that almost kills the music making -- it makes her instrument sound too powerful. All her later harpsichord recordings are like this and for me they are awful to listen to. The Playel she used was a quiet instrument and I guess her producers thought that the public demanded something more in your face. Interpretively the WTC is very interesting and she has a tremendous rhythmic facility. But if you want to hear her at her best you need to go to earlier recordings -- the first A minor English suite (not the second), the Rameau E minor suite. for example.

Still  she is a genius and I'm glad to have her WTC

By the by, there also seems to be another Gieseking WTC out now, recorded for Saar Radio according to Amazon...

I think they are the same performance. Gieseking was on a performance treadmill after the war and some of his records show this.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:59:31 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bulldog

« Reply #911 on: November 22, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
I acquired this set about 2 weeks ago.  I'm finding it very rewarding although I'm not sold yet on how she plays Bach's "dark" pieces.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #912 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »
Beyond Robert Levin's are there recordings of the pairs from the WTK -- one, two, many or the whole lot -- played on an organ?

EDIT: All right, I see that Lagacé and one Frederic Desenclos are mentioned already in this thread. If there are others, please let me know. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:20:17 AM by Opus106 »
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #913 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
Beyond Robert Levin's are there recordings of the pairs from the WTK -- one, two, many or the whole lot -- played on an organ?

Yes, the whole shebang here:

Extra info and samples: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1-2/hnum/7556747

The complete WTC also was recorded by Bernard Lagacé on Analekta (1965 Rudolph von Beckerath organ at the Église Immaculée-Conception, Montreal), as invividual CDs and as a part of his integral recording of Bach's organ works.

Daniel Chorzempa also recorded the two books using different instruments (harpsichord, organ, clavichord & fortepiano), as Levin, but his complete set is sadly OOP.

:)

• Veteran member
« Reply #914 on: February 07, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Yes, the whole shebang here:

Extra info and samples: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1-2/hnum/7556747

The complete WTC also was recorded by Bernard Lagacé on Analekta (1965 Rudolph von Beckerath organ at the Église Immaculée-Conception, Montreal), as invividual CDs and as a part of his integral recording of Bach's organ works.

Daniel Chorzempa also recorded the two books using different instruments (harpsichord, organ, clavichord & fortepiano), as Levin, but his complete set is sadly OOP.

:)

There is another (or third) version af WTC book II by Christoph Bossert:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Das wohltemperierte Clavier, 2. Teil
24 Präludien und Fugen BWV 870–893
Christoph Bossert, Orgel. Aufgenommen 1998 an der Ehrlich-Orgel der Evangelischen Stadtkirche zu Bad Wimpfen (Deutschland). Ars Musici 1257-2. 3 CD.

It is about five years since I last listened to it. Compared to Desenclos I remember Bossert as being a bit unimaginative, - or maybe I did not listen enough to his interpretation  ;).

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wohltemperierte-Clavier-Christoph-Bossert/dp/B000023ZTA/ref=sr_1_256?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328638575&sr=1-256
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:16:53 AM by (: premont :) »
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #915 on: February 07, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
    Bach, Bartok, Buxtehude, Debussy, Ives, Schoenberg, Shostakovich, Stravinsky
« Reply #916 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »
Now that Schornsheim's WTC has been out for a bit, I'm curious to know what the general consensus on the recording is.

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #917 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
There is another (or third) version af WTC book II by Christoph Bossert:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Das wohltemperierte Clavier, 2. Teil
24 Präludien und Fugen BWV 870–893
Christoph Bossert, Orgel. Aufgenommen 1998 an der Ehrlich-Orgel der Evangelischen Stadtkirche zu Bad Wimpfen (Deutschland). Ars Musici 1257-2. 3 CD.

It is about five years since I last listened to it. Compared to Desenclos I remember Bossert as being a bit unimaginative, - or maybe I did not listen enough to his interpretation ;).

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wohltemperierte-Clavier-Christoph-Bossert/dp/B000023ZTA/ref=sr_1_256?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328638575&sr=1-256

Yes, who knows, maybe he was interesting, but you weren't interested. ;D

Just for the record: Joseph Payne also plays some multi-instrumental proto-WTC in his recording of the Clavier-Büchlein für Wilhelm Friedemann Bach. But there just one of the eleven Praeludium is played on organ, the others on harpsichord and clavichord.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:01:07 PM by Antoine Marchand »

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of "False Barnyard"
    • Todd Van Buskirk. Art.
    Riegger, Sessions, Stravinsky, Bach & Bix Biederbiecke
« Reply #918 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »

I'm continually returning to Egarr's account of WTC book 2. It's making me love Book 2, whereas before I only respected it. I've never heard any Bach like Egarr's book 1 and 2. Incredible.

8)

Please check out my corner of the web world. http://toddvanbuskirk.weebly.com/

• Veteran member
« Reply #919 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
Yes, who knows, maybe he was interesting, but you weren't interested. ;D

Wonder if I get the time to listen to it again. There is too much else waiting for me to listen to.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand

Just for the record: Joseph Payne also plays some multi-instrumental proto-WTC in his recording of the Clavier-Büchlein für Wilhelm Friedemann Bach. But there just one of the eleven Praeludium is played on organ, the others on harpsichord and clavichord.

One more: I used to own a recording (on LP) by Anthony Newman of book II, where he used organ, harpsichord and clavichord. However I parted with it, as I could not stand his superficial style in the long run.
True wisdom knows
it must comprise
some nonsense
as a compromise,
lest fools should fail
to find it wise.
(Piet Hein)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK