Author Topic: Jan Dussek - Piano Virtuoso & Composer!  (Read 9304 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

Re: Jan Dussek - Piano Virtuoso & Composer!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Hi PD - just added a pic above for those who may be interested - do not have that specific set, but probably many of the performances on other CDs - thanks for contributing to this thread - Dave :)

Thanks for the pic.

By the way, I ran across this on youtube (haven't had a chance yet to check your old thread), but am wondering whether or not you have this recording or have heard it before.  The bits that I was able to listen to (before getting interrupted), I did enjoy.  You can listen to it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upaa1ACuBs0

Or has anyone else hear heard it or the piano concerto (not certain how many he had written)?

Best,

PD

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 06:32:16 PM »
By the way, I ran across this on youtube (haven't had a chance yet to check your old thread), but am wondering whether or not you have this recording or have heard it before.  The bits that I was able to listen to (before getting interrupted), I did enjoy.  You can listen to it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upaa1ACuBs0 - Or has anyone else hear heard it or the piano concerto (not certain how many he had written)?

Hi again PD - cannot comment on your YouTube link - but Dussek composed just over a dozen 'verified' Piano Concertos - see list below (Wiki link) - I own the first 2 CDs pictured below and have just ordered the second Shelley disc - I've added the tracks from these 3 discs to the listing, SO about two-thirds of his piano concertos are available on these recordings which are quite good and recommended, if interested - note that Shelley performs on a modern piano and Staier on an 1806 fortepiano, a reason to own both performances.  Hope this helps - Dave :)

List of Piano Concertos by Dussek:
Op. 1-1 (Craw 2) \ Piano Concerto No. 1 (1783)
Op. 1-2 (Craw 3) \ Piano Concerto No. 2 (1783)
Op. 1-3 (Craw 4) \ Piano Concerto No. 3 (1783) - Shelley I
Op. 3 (Craw 33) \ Piano Concerto No. 4 (1787) - Shelley II
Op. 14 (Craw 77) \ Piano Concerto No. 5 (1791) - Shelly II
Op. 17 (Craw 78) \ Piano Concerto No. 6 (1792)
Op. 22 (Craw 97) \ Piano Concerto No. 7 (1793) - Staier
Op. 27 (Craw 104) \ Piano Concerto No. 8 (1794)
Op. 29 (Craw 125) \ Piano Concerto No. 9 (1795) - Shelley I
Op. 40 (Craw 153) \ Piano Concerto No. 10 (1799)
No opus number (Craw 158) \ Piano Concerto No. 11 (1798?)
Op. 49 (Craw 187) \ Piano Concerto No. 12 (1801) - Staier + Shelley II
Op. 70 (Craw 238) \ Piano Concerto No. 13 (1810) - Shelley I
Piano Concerto Craw 1 (lost)
Piano Concerto Craw D7 (dubious)
Piano Concerto Craw D8 (dubious) (Source)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
Hyperion is recording the piano concerti as part of their Classical Piano Concerto series w Howard Shelley directing. There are a good number (at least 12) but some of those are selections from earlier works republished as a "new" concerto by publishers hoping to capitalise on Dussek's popularity so I'm not sure what the complete set will look like.

Op.49 is the most popular these days and the only one in a minor key—these things are probably related—and has been compared favourably to Beethoven's Op.37 which appeared around the same time. There's no real question of influence though as the two composers were working in different countries at the time. (Dussek's earlier piano sonatas are said to have influenced Beethoven, incl similarities between Op.9 no.2 and Beethoven's Op.2 no.3, and Op.35 no.3 and Beethoven's Op.13, and Op.44 and Beethoven's Op.81a although this seems mostly based on coincidences of key and title.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:44:54 PM by amw »

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »
Interesting to hear about his current popularity.  And thanks to both of you gents for the information regarding the new(and 'ish') recordings of his music.

Hadn't heard before that Dussek's music might have influenced Beethoven; is there any correspondence, etc., along the lines suggesting/possibly proving that?

PD

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
Not that I'm aware of—mostly conjecture based on similarities of musical material and style & Dussek's works being widely available at the time. There are some detailed musical analyses but no contextual evidence.