Author Topic: Philip Glass  (Read 26310 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: Philip Glass
« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2016, 03:45:30 AM »
I felt like the 10th symphony was a slight disappointment, after the big, poetic statements of the 8th and 9th. I wasn't impressed by the fact that he re-hashed old material for the work. Here's hoping he gets back to good form in the upcoming Symphony No. 11.

If anyone's interested, there are some great, detailed notes here on all the symphonies:

http://dunvagen.com/d/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/SymphonyBox_NOTES.pdf

I'll try to get round to posting a 'favourite works' list for Phil. There'd be so many to choose from.  8)

Hi, KGoing, I started a thread of favorite Glass works, hasn't gotten much traffic though...

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26070.msg988668.html#msg988668

Thanks for the notes on the symphonies, will read later for sure.

Keep Going

« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2016, 02:05:08 AM »
Hi, KGoing, I started a thread of favorite Glass works, hasn't gotten much traffic though...

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26070.msg988668.html#msg988668

Thanks for the notes on the symphonies, will read later for sure.

Hi GSM - thanks for the link.

I'll try and get round to posting a list, although keeping it down to 5 will be a tricky one!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
Four months away from this event. Bought a ticket for my lifelong friend, also a Glass fan, to meet me in NY for the concert.
Here's the program from the CH website...

Bruckner Orchestra Linz
Dennis Russell Davies, Music Director
Angelique Kidjo, Vocals

ALL-PHILIP GLASS PROGRAM
Days and Nights in Rocinha
Ifé: Three Yorůbá Songs (NY Premiere)
Symphony No. 11 (World Premiere)

A fantastic evening! Philip was in attendence and even sitting in the box directly below us. When Davies first arrived at the podium he turned our way and bowed, a spotlight appeared and I became very confused. Leaned over and saw the top of Glass' head, was really cool  considering he's like a rock star to me.
The concert itself was perfect. Rochina was beautifully played. I own this on record but hearing it live, and especially with Carnegie's acoustics, was special. The Three Songs was a NY premiere, and a first time hearing it for me as well. The soloist, Kidjo, was sublime.
The real treat was the world premiere of the 11th. Very similar in structure to his previous symphonies nos.2 and 9 with three movements. It required 8 percussionists, harps, keyboards and full orchestra. I thought the piece was exhilarating, didn't really incorporate a slow movement as all three reached a full-throttle fever at many moments, although the 2nd mvt was hinting with a calmer opening. The 3rd opened with a minute or two of percussion only, very march-like that really set the tone for the constant motion that rarely seemed to let up. Musically it seemed to come closer to Glass' mid-80s to 90s period, strongly minimalistic and more thematic than melodic.
The Bruckner Linz were perfect, seeing the string players fight through constant arpeggios was a joy!
The picture is one I took from my box during the ovation after the 11th ended.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
Welcome back Monkey Greg!

Glad it was great.

" he's like a rock star to me." Not me! I admire him!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
Welcome back Monkey Greg!

Glad it was great.

" he's like a rock star to me." Not me! I admire him!

;D

howdy, Ken!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2017, 12:50:17 AM »
I have some Glass and generally enjoy it. Which symphony do you consider to be his best?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2017, 02:10:36 AM »
I have some Glass and generally enjoy it. Which symphony do you consider to be his best?

I find nos. 1, 3, 8 and 9 to be his best. But honestly I do enjoy them all. Once you get into some of the purely orchestral ones, like the previously mentioned four, then give his 5th a spin, about 90 mins long (2 discs) and features a full choir and soloists.

Interesting fact: Glass' didn't begin composing symphonies until he was in his 50s, he's now 80 years old.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:17:13 AM by TheGSMoeller »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:03 AM »
I find nos. 1, 3, 8 and 9 to be his best. But honestly I do enjoy them all. Once you get into some of the purely orchestral ones, like the previously mentioned four, then give his 5th a spin, about 90 mins long (2 discs) and features a full choir and soloists.

Interesting fact: Glass' didn't begin composing symphonies until he was in his 50s, he's now 80 years old.
Thanks very much.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2017, 03:58:29 AM »
In honor of Philip Glass' 80th Birthday DG has altered their 100 Great Symphonies Box Set. Added a few of his symphonies and replaced Schumann's face with the iconic portrait of Glass.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »
Live streaming of Symphony No. 5 right now....

https://www.trinitywallstreet.org/video/philip-glass-symphony-no-5-0

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »
For many years I really did not care for the music of Glass but I recently have discovered some of his music that really appeals to me.

Two works that I have discovered are:

The concerto for two timpanists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnw0IHgjE2E

And the concerto for Saxophone Quartet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYkIrYh7zuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pUnqtc4-k

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2017, 04:48:39 AM »
For many years I really did not care for the music of Glass but I recently have discovered some of his music that really appeals to me.

Two works that I have discovered are:

The concerto for two timpanists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnw0IHgjE2E

And the concerto for Saxophone Quartet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYkIrYh7zuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pUnqtc4-k

Great works, arpeggio. Glass has a handful of other concertos you might like.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »
Live streaming of Symphony No. 5 right now....

https://www.trinitywallstreet.org/video/philip-glass-symphony-no-5-0

Tonight's performance of No. 5 is live streaming as well.

The Choir of Trinity Wall Street, Downtown Voices, and NOVUS NY, conducted by Julian Wachner

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »

I would say 8 is definitely my favourite, followed closely by 2.....2 is probably one of the more underrated symphonies he has written but it has some really interesting harmonic and melodic writing as it is influenced by an interest he had in bitonality. Also, it's a purely orchestral work and from first glance it seems to be more like a fairly normal kind of symphony, nothing that really stands out amongst the plethora of other 45 minute symphonies out there.......but the way harmony and melody work with and against each other create some really fascinating musical tensions that give the symphony a unique sound in his symphonic output.

But I do like 8 more. ;D

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
I would say 8 is definitely my favourite

Same for me, that one has it all. Very much a constantly changing piece, it's quite a fun symphony matter of fact!  :)

Can't say Glass floats my boat often though

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »
I would say 8 is definitely my favourite, followed closely by 2.....2 is probably one of the more underrated symphonies he has written but it has some really interesting harmonic and melodic writing as it is influenced by an interest he had in bitonality. Also, it's a purely orchestral work and from first glance it seems to be more like a fairly normal kind of symphony, nothing that really stands out amongst the plethora of other 45 minute symphonies out there.......but the way harmony and melody work with and against each other create some really fascinating musical tensions that give the symphony a unique sound in his symphonic output.

But I do like 8 more. ;D

8 is great, and very unique in its 3-movement structure with each movement becoming slower, darker.

Jessop, you might like his 11th Symphony. I found it similar to his 2nd, and also 9th. Purely orchestral, and contains the same musical tensions that you mentioned. 

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
8 is great, and very unique in its 3-movement structure with each movement becoming slower, darker.

Jessop, you might like his 11th Symphony. I found it similar to his 2nd, and also 9th. Purely orchestral, and contains the same musical tensions that you mentioned. 
Sounds good! I wonder when a recording will be released.......I believe there's already a box set of his symphonies in existence which has now been demoted to being an Incomplete Symphonies of Philip Glass.......

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making it to 13, 14 or even 15 in terms of the number of symphonies he gets through.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
Sounds good! I wonder when a recording will be released.......I believe there's already a box set of his symphonies in existence which has now been demoted to being an Incomplete Symphonies of Philip Glass.......

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making it to 13, 14 or even 15 in terms of the number of symphonies he gets through.

When I saw the 11th premiere it was Bruckner Linz and Dennis Russell Davies, and they've recorded the previous 5 symphonies so I'm sure a recording is on it's way.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Bagatov returns to the piano music of Glass, this time performing all of the 20 etudes. I loved Bagatov's first Glass album, Prophecies, that featured transcriptions of works from Einstein and Koyaanisqatsi, and this newest release is just as good. Bagatov offers a delicate and lyrical approach to these works, more so than other Etudes on record, but still gives every one it's own individual voice. A beautiful album.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK