Author Topic: The Chat Thread  (Read 180597 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: The Chat Thread
« Reply #3860 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »
Guess I'm lucky to have avoided such stuff (though I did get called "faggot" a lot in younger days). I remember years ago walking with an asian girlfriend and a passing guy muttered "gook". I was quietly freaked out by that. Part of it was just "What? Really? In this day and age?" But people are vicious morons. That's my default opinion and I'm rarely proven wrong.

Throw in ignorant.

You would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior, but it seems that the hatred gets around just as fast through the internet and TV.

eyeresist

« Reply #3861 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
You would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior

Speak for yourself  mmmbuzzclick.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3862 on: March 22, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Speak for yourself  mmmbuzzclick.

Siri?

Philoctetes

« Reply #3863 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
For those who haven't seen, here's what may be the best set done by a stand-up comic:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AltWj4iAmno" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AltWj4iAmno</a>

Offline Greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #3864 on: March 22, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Sorry about that. Today, whilst walking home from school, under the warm spring shower. Three adorable tween girls spat some racial slurs at me. I think they were seeking to get a rise out of me, but it takes a lot more than that to draw my attention.
Surprising to hear about this in Chicago, especially from people so young. Over here, it's not as surprising (though I haven't witnessed anything)- just look at what's in the national news in my area.

Throw in ignorant.

You would think that with all the accessible media at hand, that naive people would be able to witness the value of other cultures other than their own, and realize that we are all human no matter our exterior, but it seems that the hatred gets around just as fast through the internet and TV.
There's that, but I think the overall effect seems to be that the internet is helping with this, especially in places such as the Middle East.

Philoctetes

« Reply #3865 on: March 25, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Surprising to hear about this in Chicago, especially from people so young. Over here, it's not as surprising (though I haven't witnessed anything)- just look at what's in the national news in my area.

I actually don't live in Chicago. I live in Dekalb which is a really rural community, even though a mid-major university is at the heart of the town.

Yeah, I just heard about the racist guy who killed the young black kid and apparently didn't even get arrested for it.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3866 on: March 25, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
I actually don't live in Chicago. I live in Dekalb which is a really rural community, even though a mid-major university is at the heart of the town.

Yeah, I just heard about the racist guy who killed the young black kid and apparently didn't even get arrested for it.

If you're referring to the neighborhood watch incident in Florida, yes the shooter wasn't arrested, but there is a federal investigation into the case, it hasn't ended just yet.

Philoctetes

« Reply #3867 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »
If you're referring to the neighborhood watch incident in Florida, yes the shooter wasn't arrested, but there is a federal investigation into the case, it hasn't ended just yet.

Not really the point.

He also was of mixed-heritage, which I forgot to insert in my last post, the shooter.

Offline Greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #3868 on: March 25, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
I just saw you mentioned this on facebook, Kevin.  :D

But yeah, supposedly he was in his car, following Trayvon before shooting him. (wtf?)  ???
What I want to know is if this guy has a history of paranoia...

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #3869 on: March 25, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »

Considering he seems to have had appointed himself the unpaid militia of the suburb, I am amazed even the residents felt safe around him.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3870 on: March 25, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
Not really the point.

He also was of mixed-heritage, which I forgot to insert in my last post, the shooter.

Not "the" point? Or not "your" point?

Because the investigation has much to do with this incident, the shooter is being investigated for civil rights violations. He wasn't arrested mainly because of Florida's "stand your ground" law allowing citizens to defend themselves, but it seems this man was hardly defending himself, he followed that boy for some time.

The shooter in 2005 was charged with assaulting a police officer.

Philoctetes

« Reply #3871 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
I'm on my mobile, so this reply has to be awkward.

@TheGSMoeller

What I mean is that the incident itself has no place in reality.

The police offered flimsy justifications for their inaction, especially given their respective criminal hisories, or lack thereof. This isn't their first racist flub.

I am most pleased that the Feds were called in, but it isn't as if their clean. I have no faith that any true resolution will be had.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3872 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
I'm on my mobile, so this reply has to be awkward.

@TheGSMoeller

What I mean is that the incident itself has no place in reality.

The police offered flimsy justifications for their inaction, especially given their respective criminal hisories, or lack thereof. This isn't their first racist flub.

I am most pleased that the Feds were called in, but it isn't as if their clean. I have no faith that any true resolution will be had.

Understandable, I guess I'm holding on to some hope that this investigation does bring a true resolution, or at least changes the way future incidents are handled.

Philoctetes

« Reply #3873 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
@TheGSMoeller

If the kid wasn't black, I'd share your sentiment.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3874 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
The new Blank Panther party has put a bounty on Zimmerman's capture...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/black-panther-rage-10g-capture-trayvon-killer-article-1.1050370

Philoctetes

« Reply #3875 on: March 25, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
@TheGSMoeller

I saw that. It's almost a throwback. They know they can't trust the police, so it's time for some community action. Did you hear his father offer up the Kramer defense? Just disgusting. Perhaps I'm too jaded and cynical, but the US is not good at race relations, and they simply refuse to take responsibility for their gross failures.

Ataraxia

« Reply #3876 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
I haver gal and her name is Brian!
All the live long daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

;D

DavidW

« Reply #3877 on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
I have a new job, starts at the end of July!  The search is over and I have a permanent position again, and a significant pay raise!! :)

I was under a huge deal of stress, and while I still have have moving across the country to stress me out, a huge burden has finally been lifted off of my shoulders.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #3878 on: March 26, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
I have a new job, starts at the end of July!  The search is over and I have a permanent position again, and a significant pay raise!! :)

I was under a huge deal of stress, and while I still have have moving across the country to stress me out, a huge burden has finally been lifted off of my shoulders.

Gratz on the job  ;D  ...and go easy on yourself with the move.
My family and I just moved from Virginia to Georgia, that was stressful and it was only 2 states away.  :-\

Offline Greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #3879 on: March 26, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »
Later on this year is going to be cool, because... I'll get to brag that I have the hottest girl in the world cutting my hair. I totally forgot about it, but it only costs $6 at the school where I graduated. She just started the cosmetology class, but in a few months they'll move on learning how to cut hair.

Hehehe  ;D :P

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK