Author Topic: Xenakis's Xen  (Read 67657 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Xenakis's Xen
« Reply #600 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Snyprrr, when was the last time you listened to Anastenaria?  ;D

A while... I'll have to revisit since I've been on this Stravinsky kick. Bornstein's 'Metastaseis' is pretty good, too, which is a plus (I still hold to the Tamayo as a revelation). Still hearing lots is IS in IX.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #601 on: March 13, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
A while... I'll have to revisit since I've been on this Stravinsky kick. Bornstein's 'Metastaseis' is pretty good, too, which is a plus (I still hold to the Tamayo as a revelation). Still hearing lots is IS in IX.

I'm always amazed when I go back to the pre-Metastasis works, how both Stravinskian/Bartokian they are and how Le Sacrafice (especially) is so much like a looking glass into his mature period...and the percussion too. It confirms to me that the early period (50s to aprox 64) was like a group of etudes or something to fully realize his artistic vision.....hmmm...... :o

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »
I want a Xenakis theme park

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
Is this any good?

Offline nathanb

« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »
Gahhhh Xenakis

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #605 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »
Snyprrr can we have an IX party? I'll bring the drinks, invite all the Greek woman you like and we do a marathon?[/color]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:56:52 PM by Thatfabulousalien »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Is this any good?

Personally, I prefer either a painting or actual photograph of the composer than a building.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #607 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
Personally, I prefer either a painting or actual photograph of the composer than a building.

It wasn't the one I'd use btw

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #608 on: March 19, 2017, 09:58:20 PM »
Okay, any of these two pictures would look good against a black background IMHO:

[Click to enlarge]

[Click to enlarge]

The font I would use would be something mechanical looking. Now, this would be a good shirt design IMHO. :)
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #609 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
Snyprrr can we have an IX party? I'll bring the drinks, invite all the Greek woman you like and we do a marathon?[/color]

It's bedtime Cornelius ;) :P...zzz...zzz...zzz... (signal rhythms)...zzz...zzz...

Haydn-Sikh

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:26 PM »
It's bedtime Cornelius ;) :P...zzz...zzz...zzz... (signal rhythms)...zzz...zzz...

In out dreams:

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #611 on: March 23, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
Interesting what you where saying a while ago Snyprrr about Feldman.

IX and Feldman seem to be a perfect antithesis of each other, making them perfect companions.
Feldman is the abstract ticking of the clock of time, to the man on the street, city and air. Everything happens in a way that is disassociated from this city dweller. Feldman is like an observer (not unlike Cage), and the world is experienced through that personal perspective.
Xenakis, on the other hand is the primal forces of nature that on any day could destroy that figurative city. He is also at the the psychological base of human and animal's being. He is an assimilation of these forces and remains rooted in the pure essence of human being and emotion.

Actually that might make a fascinating thread, "Allegories for composers' philosophies"?  :)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #612 on: March 24, 2017, 06:01:36 AM »
Interesting what you where saying a while ago Snyprrr about Feldman.

IX and Feldman seem to be a perfect antithesis of each other, making them perfect companions.
Feldman is the abstract ticking of the clock of time, to the man on the street, city and air. Everything happens in a way that is disassociated from this city dweller. Feldman is like an observer (not unlike Cage), and the world is experienced through that personal perspective.
Xenakis, on the other hand is the primal forces of nature that on any day could destroy that figurative city. He is also at the the psychological base of human and animal's being. He is an assimilation of these forces and remains rooted in the pure essence of human being and emotion.

Actually that might make a fascinating thread, "Allegories for composers' philosophies"?  :)

what did you think the first time you heard that actual MELODY in the middle of 'Hiketides'?? That was an eye opener

Haydn-Sikh

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #613 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
what did you think the first time you heard that actual MELODY in the middle of 'Hiketides'?? That was an eye opener

It's at the end (sorry for being pedantic), I was amazed but not surprised. When I first heard Hiketides, I had already heard Antikhthon, Epicycles and Dmaathen, which all in particular have many melodic moments.  :)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #614 on: March 25, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
Even though it's far from his greatest masterpieces (of which there are a lot), Pithoprakta is an incredible force of nature!

..............Also, those heavy Webernisms in Archorripsis  :laugh:

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #615 on: March 26, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
Even though it's far from his greatest masterpieces (of which there are a lot), Pithoprakta is an incredible force of nature!

..............Also, those heavy Webernisms in Archorripsis  :laugh:

The former is one of the strangest sounding pieces of all time, highly underrated. The latter- I've gotten used to the sound of the wailing oboe in the original recording and have a hard time with the new one; the old one just has this feeling of "ennui"- the music breaking of its own sadness, a very "out there" carnival carousel in a deserted landscape of gray clouds.

SO- I think IX's last work proper would have ended up sounding like the Ebony Concerto. huh 8)

Haydn-Sikh

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #616 on: March 31, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
Once I get a grip on my academic essay writing, I will be considering starting a blog to discuss the complete works of IX chronologically. It may be somewhat like that Stockhausen in space blog from that other resident of GMG (I forget his name), but in my terms. Whatcha thoughts?  ;)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #617 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »
Once I get a grip on my academic essay writing, I will be considering starting a blog to discuss the complete works of IX chronologically. It may be somewhat like that Stockhausen in space blog from that other resident of GMG (I forget his name), but in my terms. Whatcha thoughts?  ;)

If you do an analysis on Jonchaies, I’ll be reading it.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #618 on: April 02, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
As I write this post, I am sitting in the university library with the giant handwritten score of Xakky's Antikhthon, WOAH!!  :o   :o   :o   ???   :blank:

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #619 on: April 02, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »
Don't worry Snyprrr, I will share some pics  ;)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK