Author Topic: Xenakis's Xen  (Read 66160 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Xenakis's Xen
« Reply #720 on: July 29, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree. Though Metastasis and (to a lesser degree) Pithoprakta just don't have that spice for me anymore. I love ST/48, fucking awesome!

The ST series is so awesome, a good comparative guide to orchestration too!

What do you think of ST/10?  :)

I'm finding 'Pithoprakta' fresher than ever, even though, to me, it sounds like the perfect representation of the bones of a giant mastadon. That intro still retains its WTF-factor for me... there's just nothing like that ridiculous shuffling...

Out of the ST series, I like the longer 'Atrees' the best. Of course, all the pieces are just totally representative of "space age"- they definitely have a sci-fi feel, a '50s sci-fi sound, that, though maybe dated, still soooundz as Modren as ever.

It seems the years 1954-1963 are the height of theory and practice, and that the 60s ... oh, nevermoind, I don't know how to articulate right now... coffee,... where's the coffee???......

1) With my Igor Pianola purchase, I might actually be up for that computer/keyboard disc of IX... you know?

2) Have you heard all the newer Piano Works recitals? Timpani, Pontus,.... I have left off with Takahashi...

You are damn right about Nekuia. We are in dire need of a choir + orchestra disk, fucking timpani and mode  >:(

The most logical would be for Warners to release the 'Nekuia'/'Ais' LP along with the 'Cendrees' LP. 'Anemoessa' is on that "40(0) Years of the Holland Festival". Only Tamayo, or some Japanese fella, would probably have the clout to record all three works anew... think of the union costs, lol.

A Warners Xenakis Box could be done... Discs 1-2 would be the current release, Disc 3 the other Erato with 'Plee-A-dees', and then Disc 4 with the above choral works.

throw us a bone why doncha,... eh?
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
« Reply #721 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:35 AM »
My break from Xenakis will be for satan knows how long, but when I get back into the IX Train  >:D

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #722 on: August 02, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »
I'm finding 'Pithoprakta' fresher than ever, even though, to me, it sounds like the perfect representation of the bones of a giant mastodon. That intro still retains its WTF-factor for me... there's just nothing like that ridiculous shuffling...

I can agree on that, it is a uniquely strange work of his until the massive cluster chords come in  ???

Out of the ST series, I like the longer 'Atrees' the best. Of course, all the pieces are just totally representative of "space age"- they definitely have a sci-fi feel, a '50s sci-fi sound, that, though maybe dated, still soooundz as Modren as ever.

It seems the years 1954-1963 are the height of theory and practice, and that the 60s ... oh, nevermoind, I don't know how to articulate right now... coffee,... where's the coffee???......

Atrees has never been a piece I've been extensively interested tbh, it's good but ST/4 and ST/48 completely blow it out of the water.

ST/10 is interesting too, it's like ST/4 is the tip of the iceberg, ST/10 is the ship reaching the iceberg and ST/48 is the ship sinking.

I know where you're heading with that, I agree. Btw, can I have a large cappuccino, with double sugar, a lovely lady and a marshmallow?  :o

1) With my Igor Pianola purchase, I might actually be up for that computer/keyboard disc of IX... you know?

The one where you don't even notice you're listening to a computerized performance of the piano? and it has lots of reverb? yep, I know  ;D

2) Have you heard all the newer Piano Works recitals? Timpani, Pontus,.... I have left off with Takahashi...

I likely have heard most of them, I have a lot of double recordings anyhow, soooo.....

The most logical would be for Warners to release the 'Nekuia'/'Ais' LP along with the 'Cendrees' LP. 'Anemoessa' is on that "40(0) Years of the Holland Festival". Only Tamayo, or some Japanese fella, would probably have the clout to record all three works anew... think of the union costs, lol.

A Warners Xenakis Box could be done... Discs 1-2 would be the current release, Disc 3 the other Erato with 'Plee-A-dees', and then Disc 4 with the above choral works.

throw us a bone why doncha,... eh?

THAT would be a great idea! If re-recording isn't in the cards, then that is a great solution. The recordings are good enough as they are.

Hmm, interesting idea. I would design and program a fucking amazing IX boxset if I got the chance.

Currently doing my rounds with Gesualdo and Lassus but I'll sell you my idea if you're interested dude?  ;)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
What you've done to me :-\
« Reply #723 on: August 02, 2017, 02:42:23 AM »
Actually I'm now tempted to put on that Warner's recording of Ais   ::)

MUST.

RESIST.

MUST.

NOT.

PLAY.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline α |

• Veteran member
Re: What you've done to me :-\
« Reply #724 on: August 05, 2017, 03:33:25 AM »

....and I still haven't  ???

Am I even the same Alien anymore?  :-[

Qu'est ce qui se passe?

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #725 on: August 08, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
I couldn't hold it off anymore, Orchestral works vol 2 is playing right now  0:)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #726 on: August 08, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
Wait a goddamn minute, I. Alien. Went a whole fucking month without a note from Xenakis??? WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HELL IS GOING ON??????  :'( :'( :'(

Offline nodogen

« Reply #727 on: August 08, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
You need to think about decaf.
Sapere aude

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #728 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
You need to think about decaf.

Double whammy!  :laugh:

Yeah, Xenakis stresses me out sometimes because I've been completely obsessed with his music for so long, when I'm doing anything my mind automatically defaults to thinking about Xenakis quotes/interviews or pieces themselves  :-[

After a while, I have to put those Beethoven string quartets on, right?  ???

I wonder if this happens to our other XenakiFan Snyprrr?  ::)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #729 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »

MUST.

RESIST.

MUST.

NOT.

PLAY.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

That's the only one that does it for me. 'Ais' is a ridiculously outrageous piece, but needs a performance such as this to take it home to mom. The "horsey" stuff is funny/terrifying, but this early version with Sakkas is much more visceral than the Timpani remake.

And very Stravinskian, too... hmm...

Double whammy!  :laugh:

Yeah, Xenakis stresses me out sometimes because I've been completely obsessed with his music for so long, when I'm doing anything my mind automatically defaults to thinking about Xenakis quotes/interviews or pieces themselves  :-[

I wonder if this happens to our other XenakiFan Snyprrr?  ::)

I know, it's hard to get to sleep...zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...

I'm still trying to find the best road out of IgorLand... I'm listening to the clarinet piece, that's how far gone I am, lol. The flippin clarinet piece,... ohhhh, the desperation...lol

But I haven't bought anymore Igor (though you're trying to get me that Threni), and I think the buying season might be over already, I don't know. I don't know what tonic will work. I fear if I go to Xenakis I'll "cheat" on Igor... yea, it's that bad right now...

But, in a good way! :)

nighty night

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #730 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »

Nothing wrong with being obsessed by a composer. But yes, the Beethoven quartets are a good counterpoint. (Or something completely different from those, like Lalo, or Ives. OK, I'm kidding about one of those.)

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #731 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »
That's the only one that does it for me. 'Ais' is a ridiculously outrageous piece, but needs a performance such as this to take it home to mom. The "horsey" stuff is funny/terrifying, but this early version with Sakkas is much more visceral than the Timpani remake.

And very Stravinskian, too... hmm...

Yes, absolutely on both points  :)

I'm still trying to find the best road out of IgorLand... I'm listening to the clarinet piece, that's how far gone I am, lol. The flippin clarinet piece,... ohhhh, the desperation...lol

But I haven't bought anymore Igor (though you're trying to get me that Threni), and I think the buying season might be over already, I don't know. I don't know what tonic will work. I fear if I go to Xenakis I'll "cheat" on Igor... yea, it's that bad right now...

But, in a good way! :)

nighty night

Three pieces for clarinet? it's a fun little ditty. Would you loose your shit if they played that in a concert with Charisma?  ;)

No no no no no mister, no!  >:(

You're cheating on IX with IS, how do you think IX feels about this now?  :'(

How do you think I feel about it?   :'(

How do you think the particles of a star feels about it?

How do you think atomic theory feels about it?  :'(

Or Mrs Snyprrr?

Or Santa?

Or Jesus?

Or Homer Simpson?

Or the Easter bunny?

Or your bank accountant?

Or the GMG mascot, 'good music guy'?

Or my ex girlfriend?

Do you think they're happy about this situation?  >:( I think not!

I'm gonna eat a pizza and dance in my underpants with this crazy for an hour, then listen to some Palestrina  8)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #732 on: August 10, 2017, 12:29:34 AM »
So, if that means anything. I've also been cheating on IX, but with Renaissance music, I'm a miserable ****  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:32:58 AM by α | »

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #733 on: August 10, 2017, 12:32:18 AM »
Nothing wrong with being obsessed by a composer. But yes, the Beethoven quartets are a good counterpoint. (Or something completely different from those, like Lalo, or Ives. OK, I'm kidding about one of those.)

--Bruce

:laugh:

That's right. Room to breathe is likely a good thing, for some reason a lot of modernism has just not been of interest lately. It's not that I listen to it now and think "this sucks" or "I don't understand this music anymore" but I just don't feel compelled to listen to it much, which is really strange  ??? as I write this kind of music myself.....

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #734 on: August 10, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »

:laugh:

That's right. Room to breathe is likely a good thing, for some reason a lot of modernism has just not been of interest lately. It's not that I listen to it now and think "this sucks" or "I don't understand this music anymore" but I just don't feel compelled to listen to it much, which is really strange  ??? as I write this kind of music myself.....

Well, I had that "meh" feeling when I finally broke out some minor-key Haydn Symphonies. Actually, they were very pleasant...

LOL

I am TOTALLY stuck, and I don't even know where anything's going at the moment. Tomorrow's gig has me thinking 'Kung Fu Fighting' instead of brain food music. ::) :(

Haydn-Sikh

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #735 on: August 10, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
Well, I had that "meh" feeling when I finally broke out some minor-key Haydn Symphonies. Actually, they were very pleasant...

LOL

I am TOTALLY stuck, and I don't even know where anything's going at the moment. Tomorrow's gig has me thinking 'Kung Fu Fighting' instead of brain food music. ::) :(

Ok:

"Everybody was KUNK FU FIGHTING (violin quote from Tetora)
Those kicks were fast as lightning (trombone quote from Troorkh)
In fact it was a little bit frightening (trumpet quote from N'Shima)
But they fought with expert timing (Violin quote from Dikhthas) "

;)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2017, 02:18:36 AM »
Listening to the Tamayo Metastasis (and then probably Pithoprakta) right now after a bit of 'ole boredom (hey alien, get out the O.W. disk aye? "fine"  ::) )

I certainly agree that it may currently be the greatest recording of it, it really brings out the energy, tension and release in the middle section (the moving cloud clusters) so well (and you know......the cellos/double bass  ;) )

Yep, the recording is really crisp. The strings feel like elastic in that recording (or leather  ;) )

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #737 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
Decided to go through all the concertos, right now the violin concerto Dox-Orkh  8)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #738 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:21 AM »
I think I'm back  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fuck.

That is the secret to modern music, once you get that accounted for the rest works itself out.

I got IX fireworks in my brain right now, holy hell!!  :o

Just listened to the Timpani, orchestral works vol 2 (IX classic hits)

Now the cello works CD (for Kottos and Epicycles specifically)

Xenakis binge at my place tonight, fucking wow!

Voyage to Andromeda too, motherfucking amazing  :-*

Why can't I always be this happy??   :'( :'( :'(

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #739 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
IX is back and stronger than ever!  8)  :-*

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK