Author Topic: William Alwyn  (Read 24514 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: William Alwyn
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2018, 05:32:22 PM »

Odd Man Out takes me to a state of important thrill. How terrific this work is! Some of the most aflame French horn writing is found in here. The music is rather touching, impressive. Along with Lyra Angelica, my favorite work by this gentleman.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2018, 12:47:31 AM »

Odd Man Out takes me to a state of important thrill. How terrific this work is! Some of the most aflame French horn writing is found in here. The music is rather touching, impressive. Along with Lyra Angelica, my favorite work by this gentleman.
Delighted that you like this Cesar!
I consider 'Odd Man Out' to be one of Alwyn's finest works, alongside the unaccountably neglected Violin Concerto, 'The Magic Island' (after Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'), Lyra Angelica and all the symphonies, but especially nos 1 and 2. The Prelude to Odd Man Out - a kind of doomed processional which always appeals to me - is reminiscent of 'The Road to Calvary' from Miklos Rozsa's wonderful score for 'Ben-Hur'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2018, 01:48:53 AM »
I like all the Alwyn Symphonies but especially No.3 which is powerfully coupled on Chandos with the Violin Concerto.  Both very impressive works.....

marketplace copies on Amazon UK are very cheap at the moment I see.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
I like all the Alwyn Symphonies but especially No.3 which is powerfully coupled on Chandos with the Violin Concerto.  Both very impressive works.....

marketplace copies on Amazon UK are very cheap at the moment I see.

That is a great CD which introduced me to the lovely VC. John Ireland thought that Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was the best British symphony since Elgar. I don't agree as it leaves out Bax, VW and Walton (not to mention Moeran) but it is still a fine symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).