Author Topic: Ukrainian composers  (Read 4637 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Ukrainian composers
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
I like Lyatoshinsky's music. At least that which I have (symphonies 3 and 4 + assorted orchestral works/suites, on the Russian Disc label).

But TBH I have a feeling that Stankovych is a more individual composer. Not necessarily better (how can you tell when both are fine?), but I pull his discs off the shelves more often. This is one of my favourites, which I listened to last month:

"Modern" music in a sense, "conventional" in the other. Stankovych  deserves to be heard.
I need to listen to more of Stankovych - I'm sure I have a CD or two of his music - somewhere  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Carl Nielsen (1865 - 1931)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lyden af ​​torden kyster Fyn
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
I have enjoyed some Karabits in the past

Even though the instrumentations he uses in his concertos for orchestra incorporate quite a bit of percussion and instruments less commonly found in the orchestra, I think his orchestration doesn't really venture away from anything that isn't standard. Much of the orchestral colour is stuff that has been heard before.

That's an excellent disc. I especially like those Silvestrov works.
“I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it.” - Carl Nielsen

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 08:16:11 PM »
That's an excellent disc. I especially like those Silvestrov works.
Yes the Silvestrov is nice here. I liked it when Karabits deviated from my expectations here...especially with the inclusion of harpsichord in one of the concertos for orchestra! But I feel like these deviations to things a little more interesting/unexpected were just a little too rare for me.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK