Author Topic: Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon  (Read 143347 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon
« Reply #1480 on: January 10, 2018, 03:57:53 AM »
I heard it live in London as the other work was Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony (Jurowski) which was what I wanted to hear. The cellist broke a string in the middle of the work and had to disappear offstage. I'm not a great fan of the Symphony-Concerto either I'm sorry to say. The review of the concert by David Nice, of course, compared the brilliance of the Prokofiev work with the 'longuers' of the Miaskovsky which was exactly the opposite of my experience at the concert.

Very interesting!

To the Miaskovsky, I cannot speak.  I am alive to how a less-than-top-rate live experience can put one off even a great piece.

And, I'll repeat myself:  the Symphony-Concert is a great piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1481 on: January 10, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »
And, another excellent account of the Op.125 in this box:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1482 on: January 10, 2018, 05:18:50 AM »
Very interesting!

To the Miaskovsky, I cannot speak.  I am alive to how a less-than-top-rate live experience can put one off even a great piece.

And, I'll repeat myself:  the Symphony-Concert is a great piece.

Ok thanks Karl - I will listen to it again on CD. You should investigate the Miaskovsky one day. He was a crucial link IMHO between the great Russian nationalist composers of the 19th Century, like Glazunov and RK and the great 20th century figures including his friend Prokofiev and Shostakovich.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:21:37 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1483 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:46 AM »
I learnt that Miaskovsky and Prokofiev were great friends from Harlow Robinson's bio.  No doubt Miaskovsky was largely an unwitting tool, but he rather misled his friend on how great a deal returning to (what was now) the Soviet Union would be for him.

Of course, the person who really paid the price for that miscalculation, was Lina, poor woman.  So, overall, I am apt to entertain hard thoughts of Miaskovsky.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #1484 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
I learnt that Miaskovsky and Prokofiev were great friends from Harlow Robinson's bio.  No doubt Miaskovsky was largely an unwitting tool, but he rather misled his friend on how great a deal returning to (what was now) the Soviet Union would be for him.

Of course, the person who really paid the price for that miscalculation, was Lina, poor woman.  So, overall, I am apt to entertain hard thoughts of Miaskovsky.

Of course, we can’t put any kind of blame on Miaskovsky as he truly thought that good things were going to happen for Prokofiev. Remember the Soviets fooled a lot of people into believing it was something it never was.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1485 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
Ivashkin, I tell you.  (And a cracking account of the d minor Symphony.)

I'll make sure to set aside some time today to listen to this, I promise! ;D Ivashkin is a very fine cellist if his recordings of Schnittke's cello works are anything to go by. And yes, that is a great account of the 2nd Symphony!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1486 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
Just listened to the Ivashkin/Polyansky recording of the Symphony-Concerto on Chandos. A fantastic performance, for sure, which has improved my opinion of the work. I still remain a bit unconvinced, though. There are several fine moments throughout, but the piece is simply too long and episodic, and lacks a clear and compelling narrative IMO. If the piece was 25 or 30 minutes long rather than 40 I would probably have a higher opinion of it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:25:16 PM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1487 on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:48 PM »
Han-na Chang is also good.  And I'm interested in the Gebhardt on Hyperion, coupled with the original Cello Concerto.

Just listened to the Roatropovich/Sargent S-C for the first time in a long time.

I love this work! 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:11:19 PM by Daverz »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1488 on: January 10, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »

Just listened to the Ivashkin/Polyansky recording of the Symphony-Concerto on Chandos. A fantastic performance, for sure, which has improved my opinion of the work. I still remain a bit unconvinced, though. There are several fine moments throughout, but the piece is simply too long and episodic, and lacks a clear and compelling narrative IMO. If the piece was 25 or 30 minutes long rather than 40 I would probably have a higher opinion of it.

Well, I shall be content at present with your much-improved estimation of the piece! Good sport

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1489 on: January 10, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
Han-na Chang is also good.  And I'm interested in the Gebhardt on Hyperion, coupled with the original Cello Concerto.

Just listened to the Roatropovich/Sargent S-C for the first time in a long time.

I love this work!
That is also the best performance of the Miaskovsky Cello Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1490 on: March 19, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
A strong recommendation for this powerful new release on 2 CDs. Brilliantly recorded and performed.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1491 on: March 20, 2018, 03:13:38 AM »
Noted  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1492 on: March 20, 2018, 05:18:46 AM »
Noted  0:)
Terrific in all respects Karl.
Best version I know on two CDs, with an excellent essay in the booklet and images from the movies. One of my favourite CDs of the year I suspect.

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1493 on: March 20, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
Will have to compare it to the Fedoseyev when I get a chance.

I don't like how the Strobel sometimes cuts abruptly from one number to the next, but perhaps that's only a Tidal issue.  Not unknown for the Tidal rip to be messed up.

[Likely that Tidal has scrambled the track order, so never mind.]

Of the Stasevich versions, I still think the Sokhiev is more exciting (and no annoying narration) and Muti is the most exciting of all (but with the annoying narration).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:05:11 PM by Daverz »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1494 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
Will have to compare it to the Fedoseyev when I get a chance.

I don't like how the Strobel sometimes cuts abruptly from one number to the next, but perhaps that's only a Tidal issue.  Not unknown for the Tidal rip to be messed up.

[Likely that Tidal has scrambled the track order, so never mind.]

Of the Stasevich versions, I still think the Sokhiev is more exciting (and no annoying narration) and Muti is the most exciting of all (but with the annoying narration).
Yes, the Muti (my introduction to the work in an LP box set coupled with the fine 'Sinfonietta') has a macabre fascination with that melodramatic narration. However, the Strobel, for all the non-sequiturs had me gripped from beginning to end and, in this respect, it reminded me of the recent release of Vaughan Williams's complete music for 'Scott of the Antarctic' (rather than the more familiar 'Sinfonia Antartica'). For me Strobel recreated the movie/film experience like no other performance.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1495 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
Just bought this box set of piano music with Chiu, does anyone else own this box?

I know next to nothing about Prokofiev’s piano music, but given how I enjoy his piano concerti and how I have more of an aptitude for solo piano these days, I figured it was worth a shot.

Edit: I believe I recall Rafael owning Chiu’s Prokofiev series now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:12:26 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #1496 on: March 27, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
Just bought this box set of piano music with Chiu, does anyone else own this box?

I know next to nothing about Prokofiev’s piano music, but given how I enjoy his piano concerti and how I have more of an aptitude for solo piano these days, I figured it was worth a shot.

Edit: I believe I recall Rafael owning Chiu’s Prokofiev series now that I think about it.

I own all but two discs from that set. It's great all the way. Can't go wrong. However, be sure and supplement it with Raekallio:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1497 on: March 27, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
I own all but two discs from that set. It's great all the way. Can't go wrong. However, be sure and supplement it with Raekallio:

Thanks a lot, DD! 8) Yeah, I was debating on which set to buy first, but Chiu’s seemed most attractive to me at first glance.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #1498 on: March 28, 2018, 05:23:32 AM »
I picked up the Chiu set as an unconscionably inexpensive download.  I have not really spent much time with it, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1499 on: March 28, 2018, 05:27:17 AM »
I picked up the Chiu set as an unconscionably inexpensive download.  I have not really spent much time with it, though.

8) You’ll have to dig into the set and let us know what you think, Karl.