Author Topic: Shostakovich String Quartets  (Read 66513 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Shostakovich String Quartets
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »
A couple positive mentions about the Rubio set makes me have to blurt out: it's too smoothed over!  The set is OK, but it just doesn't ignite. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Harry

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 05:01:29 AM »
A couple positive mentions about the Rubio set makes me have to blurt out: it's too smoothed over!  The set is OK, but it just doesn't ignite. 

Well for me it does, but maybe I am easily satisfied! :)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
A couple positive mentions about the Rubio set makes me have to blurt out: it's too smoothed over!

It's smoother than some, true. But, some people prefer Maxim Shostakovich and Jansons rather than Kondrashin and Mravinsky in the symphonies; same with Rubio vs Borodin: some might prefer the smoother ride. It's nice we have a choice.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 05:26:46 AM »
It's smoother than some, true.

Some?  Who's smoother?  And don't say the Manhattan - they're just more boring.

I certainly agree with the benefits of choice; my personal first choice is the Danel.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 05:40:57 AM »

Some?  Who's smoother?  And don't say the Manhattan - they're just more boring.

Okay...no one is smoother. Happy? Why don't you just tell us which version to buy, Todd. Then we can simply end this thread and move on to your next recommendation.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 05:42:37 AM »
Nobody plays it smoother . . . makes me feel sad for the rest . . . .

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 05:43:15 AM »
Why don't you just tell us which version to buy, Todd.

I already made my recommendations - in my first post I believe.  

karlhenning

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »
I'm very happy with my Emerson box set, but it's the only one I've heard, so take that into consideration.

I'm very happy with the Emerson box, too.  I've also heard the Borodin's complete set, and like that no less than the Emerson's.

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 06:23:28 AM »
Nice ;)Have been acquiring the Beethoven Quartet on Melodiya and can confirm they are very deep, penetrating performances that do inject the right amount of pathos. Sound isn't amazing but quite servicable.

Does this mean that the rumor of reissue on Melodiya is true? If so, and if the sound improves even marginally on the harsh transfers of the older Consonance CD releases, I MUST acquire them. Thanks for the heads-up. As I know I've mentioned before on this board, the Beethoven Qt. recording of #8 on an old mono MK vinyl pressing is what first convinced me that Shostakovich's quartets were masterworks...and I still pick up every recording of theirs that I can find. (There simply aren't enough of them out there!)

My most satisfying set of the Shostakovichon CD is the older Borodin (Chandos), who give the Beethoven serious competition in some works. Of course, I still haven't heard the Danel...someday, perhaps.

Dirk

SimonGodders

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 06:34:32 AM »
Does this mean that the rumor of reissue on Melodiya is true? If so, and if the sound improves even marginally on the harsh transfers of the older Consonance CD releases, I MUST acquire them. Thanks for the heads-up. As I know I've mentioned before on this board, the Beethoven Qt. recording of #8 on an old mono MK vinyl pressing is what first convinced me that Shostakovich's quartets were masterworks...and I still pick up every recording of theirs that I can find. (There simply aren't enough of them out there!)

Dirk

Here they are at MDT Dirk:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/search/searchresults.asp

I've got all that are available, but can't seem to find anyone with the full cycle, if indeed it was a full cycle recorded. The sound is 'of it's time' and seems to vary between quartets (dates range from early 60's to mid 70's IIRC) but I'm more than happy with it and certainly wouldn't call them harsh transfers, so perhaps they have been re, re-mastererd to previous incarnations

:)

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »
(1) I've got all that are available, but can't seem to find anyone with the full cycle, if indeed it was a full cycle recorded.
(2) The sound is 'of it's time' and seems to vary between quartets (dates range from early 60's to mid 70's IIRC) but I'm more than happy with it and certainly wouldn't call them harsh transfers, so perhaps they have been re, re-mastererd to previous incarnations

(1) IIRC, there was one--perhaps two, but certainly one--of the middle quartets that did NOT appear on the Consonance Beethoven Quartet issues...and the group may simply never have played it. However, I'm not at home where I have a reference that would remind me which one's missing.
(2) I have no complaints about the Melodiya and Angel/Melodiya items I have, mono or stereo, since the sound might not be audiophile quality, but at least strings sound pretty much like strings. But the couple of Consonance CDs I own are truly shrill in comparison with the analog LP originals. Thus I presume poor transfers...and hold out hope for better work from the Melodiya folks this time around.

Thanks for the link!

Dirk

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 12:36:50 AM »
Fitzwilliam - I find this the best cycle overall for consistent home listening. Since these quartets are among my most listened-to pieces, it's my natural first choice.

For comparison, I've heard part or all of the Borodin, Emerson, Shostakovich, & Eder cycles.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »
I have not listened to this music at all, and I consider this complete set from the Borodin quartet on Melodiya. Does anyone know how it compares to their incomplete Chandos set? And which string quartet do you think would be the best introduction to this music for a novice (they have some single CD's of the Chandos Borodin set at the library)?

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

Greta

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »
I checked out the Fitzwilliam set at the library and have been really enjoying them. Great, crisp performances. And really nice pieces, none of which I was familiar with before!  :o

Online The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
Mostly scary (and desperate and depressed) rather than nice I should think?

Like calling Pettersons 7th a cheerful romp!   ;D

George

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »
I have not listened to this music at all, and I consider this complete set from the Borodin quartet on Melodiya. Does anyone know how it compares to their incomplete Chandos set? And which string quartet do you think would be the best introduction to this music for a novice (they have some single CD's of the Chandos Borodin set at the library)?

Taken from "Classcal Music the Listener's Companion":

The Melodiya has two violinists that were not in the earlier Chandos set. As a result, the old abrasiveness is largely gone, and the ensemble sounds more technically assured, warmer, more refined in tone- more of a single minded unit, yet without losing any of their former intensity and drive. Tempos are usually slower, but their dynamic range has increased dramatically. Not only that, they play far more expressively; the brooding passages are bleaker than before...decent sound.

Me, I like the abrasiveness of the earlier and have not sought out the second complete set. I can recommend the Chandos without reservation.  :)

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:33 AM »
Me, I like the abrasiveness of the earlier and have not sought out the second complete set. I can recommend the Chandos without reservation.  :)

Hi George,

Which string quartet from the Borodin Chandos set would you advice me to sample first from the library? I see they have 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14 and 15 on individual discs.
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

SimonGodders

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 02:10:06 AM »
Try the 8th - normally scares the shit out of me! The Borodin's are excellent with this...

George

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 06:23:23 AM »
Hi George,

Which string quartet from the Borodin Chandos set would you advice me to sample first from the library? I see they have 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14 and 15 on individual discs.

The Chandos doesn't include 14 or 15. That's got to be the Melodiya.  :-\

Haffner

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 07:17:04 AM »
I have the Fitzwilliam and a recently acquired Borodin. Both are exceptionally good, but the Fitzwilliam may be overall less expensive.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK