Author Topic: Shostakovich String Quartets  (Read 68156 times)

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
Re: Shostakovich String Quartets
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »
The Chandos doesn't include 14 or 15. That's got to be the Melodiya.  :-\

My mistake. I see it's on EMI (Melodiya). Is your favourite also the 8th?
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

George

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »
I have the Fitzwilliam and a recently acquired Borodin. Both are exceptionally good, but the Fitzwilliam may be overall less expensive.

Chandos or Melodiya?

George

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2007, 07:29:21 AM »
My mistake. I see it's on EMI (Melodiya). Is your favourite also the 8th?

I don't really have a favorite, I enjoy them all.  :)

Steve

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »
I don't really have a favorite, I enjoy them all.  :)

George, I share your sentiments on this. All of the usual powerhouses seem to fare pretty well with these SQ's that its hard to have a favourite. Of course, my introduction to these works was Emerson, so If I had to make a choice... ;)

Offline E d o

• Flicker Gallery
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:28 AM »
I'm happy with both of my sets, the Fitzwilliam and the earlier Borodin. I'd be hard pressed to choose between them. Glad I don't have to.

ChamberNut

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »
I've listened to the Emerson, Borodin, and now Fitzwilliam sets.  So far, hands down, I prefer the Fitzwilliam recordings.

I would like to listen to the Rubio SQ recording, before deciding on the set I'll purchase.  Are there others worth looking out for?  Perhaps the Beethoven SQ recording?

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
I've listened to the Emerson, Borodin, and now Fitzwilliam sets.  So far, hands down, I prefer the Fitzwilliam recordings.

I would like to listen to the Rubio SQ recording, before deciding on the set I'll purchase.  Are there others worth looking out for?  Perhaps the Beethoven SQ recording?

Well, perhaps. The Beethovens were reissued complete on Doremi but the sound, by most reports, will certainly NOT be what you've enjoyed with the Fitzwilliams. The artistry of the players and their devotion to the music, however, may provide exceptional insights. I am a longtime fan of the Beethoven Quartet's Shostakovich (on mostly vinyl but some CD issues), so I'm hardly an objective voice, but would urge you to listen if you can. I do think they're very special. Here's a link to the box:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J3FBJS/sr=8-1/qid=1224606851/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1224606851&sr=8-1&seller=

Cheers,

Dirk

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »

Ray - I now have currently two sets, Rubio & Shostakovich Quartets (and about half of the Borodin recordings) - both are excellent; if interested, check out this Comparative Review of many sets of the DS SQs, including 'blow by blow' comparisions of each quartet - Dave  :D

Kuhlau

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
I'd heard much praise for the Danel String Quartet's performances, so I acquired these a couple of years ago. There's some strong playing in the set - I particularly liked their way with the Second String Quartet. Yet, for reasons I can't explain, I return most often to the Rubio String Quartet's complete traversal. Yes, the recorded sound is somewhat brighter and more 'in-yer-face' than that of the Danel set, but I find this works well given the intensity of Shostakovich's writing, especially in the Eighth String Quartet.

FK

ChamberNut

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »
Ray - I now have currently two sets, Rubio & Shostakovich Quartets (and about half of the Borodin recordings) - both are excellent; if interested, check out this Comparative Review of many sets of the DS SQs, including 'blow by blow' comparisions of each quartet - Dave  :D

Thanks very much for this link Dave!   :)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:25 AM »
I'd heard much praise for the Danel String Quartet's performances, so I acquired these a couple of years ago. There's some strong playing in the set - I particularly liked their way with the Second String Quartet.
The first disc of the Danel Quartets Weinberg quartet cycle is one of my discs of the year, and I'm eagerly waiting for disc 2 which is just around the corner. In view of Weinbergs closeness to Shostakovich, I hope you'll forgive my little off-topic post.

Offline Josquin des Prez

• Veteran member
  • Lyric Suite, Opus131
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
Borodin for me.

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
  • Richard Wagner- The God of Opera!
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »
Borodin for me.

Same here! This is one of the best purchases I have made recently.  It's been mentioned before. It bears repeating, again, and again and again  ::)! :

marvin

Conor71

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
I am looking to buy a set of the Shostakovich String Quartets and have narrowed my choice down to 2 contenders:
The well-known Fitzwilliam set and the set by the Sorrel Quartet on Chandos - Price is a consideration and I can get either for a good deal on Amazon but the Sorrel set is a bit of an unknown quantity? Anyone own or have an opinion on the Sorrel set? Thanks for any replies  :)

Harry

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
I am looking to buy a set of the Shostakovich String Quartets and have narrowed my choice down to 2 contenders:
The well-known Fitzwilliam set and the set by the Sorrel Quartet on Chandos - Price is a consideration and I can get either for a good deal on Amazon but the Sorrel set is a bit of an unknown quantity? Anyone own or have an opinion on the Sorrel set? Thanks for any replies  :)

Yes, I see you are a newbi, ;D well this set was erroneously sold for 10 euro's by JPC de, I told everyone in the Super bargain thread, until they corrected the mistake the following Monday, its now 19,95.
I think the Sorel's have a magic on there own, created in a very lucid way of playing, and a little as walking on air, without loosing its structural body. Fine bowing throughout, and a sense for building up the climaxes in a very even way. Well recorded too.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »
Yes, I see you are a newbi, ;D well this set was erroneously sold for 10 euro's by JPC de, I told everyone in the Super bargain thread, until they corrected the mistake the following Monday, its now 19,95.

This is a sure sign this will be available on Brilliant very soon, the Beethoven trios on Chandos were on sale very cheap a couple of months ago, and presto - now they are available even cheaper on Brilliants new release listings.

Harry

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 11:16:02 PM »
This is a sure sign this will be available on Brilliant very soon, the Beethoven trios on Chandos were on sale very cheap a couple of months ago, and presto - now they are available even cheaper on Brilliants new release listings.

Sure Erato, but cheaper as the 10,20 I paid it will not be. :)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
Sure Erato, but cheaper as the 10,20 I paid it will not be. :)
No it won't, and if I didn't already have 3 complete cycles I probably would have pounced.

jlaurson

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:42 AM »
The well-known Fitzwilliam set and the set by the Sorrel Quartet on Chandos - Price is a consideration and I can get either for a good deal on Amazon but the Sorrel set is a bit of an unknown quantity? Anyone own or have an opinion on the Sorrel set? Thanks for any replies  :)

The Fitzwilliam is an old classic that benefits much from the cozy memories from when that was one of only two, three sets available.
The Sorrel is nothing short of competent--and at the price that I recently saw it (10,- Euros) it's a fine, fair choice. That said, I'd not
necessarily recommend it to someone who wanted to add something to a collection already well stocked with DSCH SQ4ts because it'd
not really show new paths or display unknown brilliance.

I understand cost is a consideration, but if you must buy a complete set (they are better discovered on individual discs, actually!) do
try to make it the Borodin Quartet--either the 2nd or 1st cycle of them. The latter, recorded before the last two quartets had been
composed and thus "pre-complete", is on Chandos Historical and can be had for about $21,-, E25,- or 12 quid (link US, link Germany, link UK).

The complete cycle (BMG, EMI, Melodiya, but not to be mistaken with their recordings from the 90s) contains the Quintet with S.Richter
(!) and the two pieces for String Octet. 25,- Euros is a super bargain for that set (nice packaging, too). (German link, UK link, US link).

It's simply not worth saving $10 or $20 on DSCH Quartets and not ending up with the Borodin's 2nd cycle.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:52:19 AM by jlaurson »

DavidW

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 04:04:36 AM »
The Fitzwilliams Quartet cycle is darned good and usually cheap.  The Borodin Q recordings (both cycles) are good but a little overhyped, and honestly I liked the Fitzwilliam Q recordings better than the Borodin.  I like a more modernist, transparent playing (and in better sound) and I love (so many don't though) the Emerson Quartet for these works.  They really made those SQs sing by dumping romanticized affections that are found in so many other recordings such as the Borodin Q and Fitzwilliam Q. >:D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK