Author Topic: Shostakovich String Quartets  (Read 68200 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Shostakovich String Quartets IT'S ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!
« Reply #740 on: September 05, 2017, 07:26:20 AM »
Ah, the smell of DSCH SQs in the morning! ;)

I took the Kreutzer 4/7/8 for a spin. Yes, the 4th is wonderful here, just right. I'd have to consult my List above to see where it stands in the pantheon.

No.7 here has a slow mvmt. that is twice as long as all the others; it really leaves an interesting impression. The finale isn't as raving as some others, but, overall, this is a very interesting 7th. Skipped the 8th for now.

I don't think a marathon is in the offing, though. It's hard getting back into the string sonority coming from Stravinsky, whose SQs don't really prime one for something like DSCH.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Shostakovich String Quartets
« Reply #741 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »
I took the Kreutzer 4/7/8 for a spin. Yes, the 4th is wonderful here, just right. I'd have to consult my List above to see where it stands in the pantheon.

No.7 here has a slow mvmt. that is twice as long as all the others; it really leaves an interesting impression. The finale isn't as raving as some others, but, overall, this is a very interesting 7th.

How do they milk the Lento so? (← rhetorical question)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
I’ll be ripping this set pretty soon to my iPod:

This is probably my favorite set overall. I also own the Borodin (half cycle --- older recordings on Chandos), Brodsky (Teldec), Emerson (DG), and Pacifica (Cedille) sets.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #743 on: September 10, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
The Borodin complete (Kopelman, Abramenkov, Shebalin, Berlinsky) is my go to set, a mix of studio and a few live performances. For me, the quartets are the grounding center of Shostakovich's music, nothing less than excellent and remarkably varied — although I have always been slightly put off by 8. I'm sure all the self-quotations had some special significance for the composer, but they don't do much for me except take me out of the frame of the work.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK