Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 99121 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1040 on: December 20, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
In case nobody has seen the film Manchester by the Sea, it (1) is extraordinary, and (2) uses Remo Giazotto's fake "Albinoni" Adagio in G minor with such precision and power that I doubt I'll ever be able to think of that music without thinking of the scenes which accompany it in the film.

Granted, this is very far from the best or most famous piece of music ever written - though it's appeared in movies like Gallipoli (also powerfully!), Welles' The Trial, and, uh, Flashdance. But man - as used in this exceptionally intelligent, wise, thoughtful film, and as used to add tragic restraint to a cataclysmic event, it creates something unbearable and unforgettable. Almost as if Giazotto wrote the music, not to promote himself, but just to help prepare for this movie, 60ish years later.

Offline AMeticulousMusician

[Game of Thrones] Light of the Seven (main soundtrack from the last episode)
« Reply #1041 on: February 18, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »
Hello :)

I am not sure if I can post about classical-like musics here, but I am doing so since the post is going to be reviewed by a moderator.

Light of the Seven was composed by Ramin Djawadi. Even if you're not a fan of the show, it is worth watching.
It became really popular after the episode aired, and many people made their own arrangements, but, so far, none of them reproduced the music close to the original version.
I made a MIDI this week, and that was my intention - to get close to the original version.
I then recorded playing on synthesia with a nice soundfont, and the result was good.
It is fun to see the notes being played, and I have also made an accompaniment version, where the piano sound has been removed so people can play it themselves (Music Minus One).

Check my Youtube channel (or Facebook page), I intend to upload weekly (will focus on classical music for piano, mostly solo, but will continue to post famous classical-like music I record).

Here are the links for the videos:
Complete (all instruments): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpS7fjo-eS0&t=35s
Music Minus One (accompaniment for piano): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJ7LEkZcZM

Thanks, and enjoy :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1042 on: February 19, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
I have moved this post to merge it into larger thread, which is on the same general topic and is checked by many more people with an interest in score music in general.

GB  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:19:57 PM by Gurn Blanston »
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
« Reply #1043 on: May 07, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
Desplat is a genius...just another piece of evidence here:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #1044 on: May 07, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Desplat is a genius...just another piece of evidence here:

Nice one!
I've fallen in love with Desplat's score from The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1045 on: May 08, 2017, 02:52:08 AM »
I've fallen in love with Desplat's score from The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I now need to watch again, and mind the score.  (Which probably means that the composer did his work well  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1046 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »
Guilty pleasure.
First Bond soundtrack I've purchased.
I think the title song sung by Nancy Sinatra is my favourite Bond film song.
I really enjoyed listening to the soundtrack.
Purchased 50 years after I saw the film, as a child, when it first came out in 1967.

https://youtu.be/PDitUVMMzE0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:45:03 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1047 on: September 03, 2017, 03:12:19 AM »
New transfer of this fine lyrical score. It has an odd history as Malcolm Williamson was supposed to compose the music but wasn't able to complete it so Angela Morley took over. The fine prologue, with Michael Hordern's narration used Williamson's music. The soundtrack also features the song 'Bright Eyes' sung by Art Garfunkel. One of my favourite film scores - sounds like Vaughan Williams at times:

Great cover art too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline geralmar

« Reply #1048 on: September 05, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

Because of scheduling problems Goldsmith was unable to score  Superman (1978).  Supergirl (1984) hints at what his score for Superman might have sounded like.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:03:42 AM by geralmar »

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1049 on: September 05, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
Schnittke's score for "Story of an Unknown Actor" is hauntingly beautiful, and quite a bit more accessible than his angst-ridden concert works: https://youtu.be/M3EuHTOLG8o
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:08:03 PM by Atterbergman »

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    You
« Reply #1050 on: September 07, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
Special shout out to Danny Elfman, you're awesome man. Your soundtracks are fucking top-notch in the big hollywood side of things, also so memorable but always quirky. How a dude can go from the ultimate crazy ska/new-wave band, then take on the world of film scoring so effortlessly is legendary in itself  ;D
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #1051 on: September 08, 2017, 11:46:47 PM »
In case nobody has seen the film Manchester by the Sea, it (1) is extraordinary, and (2) uses Remo Giazotto's fake "Albinoni" Adagio in G minor with such precision and power that I doubt I'll ever be able to think of that music without thinking of the scenes which accompany it in the film.

Agreed.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK