Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 125597 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1100 on: January 20, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
Once I receive The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Complete Recordings box set, I’ll definitely start digging into these massive scores. Howard Shore did a remarkable job with this series. I own The Hobbit complete sets as well, but I’ll listen to those after The Lord of the Rings.
I have that 'Return of the King' CD which is very nicely produced. I'm not 100% sure about Howard Shore's score for LOR and I once read a review which referred to it as 'barely adequate'. I certainly don't agree with that and have loads of permutations of the score 'LOR Symphony' etc. There are moments I think very highly of 'The White Tree' or the music got the Mines of Moria but, as a whole, I prefer works like Basil Poledouris's score for 'Conan the Barbarian' which I (seriously) rate alongside Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #1101 on: January 20, 2019, 05:47:01 AM »
Howard Shore's music is one of the very few things I liked in Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.  8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1102 on: January 20, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »
Howard Shore's music is one of the very few things I liked in Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.  8)
The music has grown on me over the years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Biffo

« Reply #1103 on: January 20, 2019, 09:03:12 AM »
The music has grown on me over the years.

I enjoyed Jackson's LOTR and thought the music suited it well but I haven't listened to it separately from the films. I definitely didn't enjoy his overblown Hobbit; I collected the DVDs as they were issued but gave them to a charity once I realised I would never watch them again.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #1104 on: January 20, 2019, 11:51:25 AM »
I have that 'Return of the King' CD which is very nicely produced. I'm not 100% sure about Howard Shore's score for LOR and I once read a review which referred to it as 'barely adequate'. I certainly don't agree with that and have loads of permutations of the score 'LOR Symphony' etc. There are moments I think very highly of 'The White Tree' or the music got the Mines of Moria but, as a whole, I prefer works like Basil Poledouris's score for 'Conan the Barbarian' which I (seriously) rate alongside Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky'.

Well, to be fair, film music isn’t my forte or really something I’m all that knowledgeable about. My favorite film score composers are Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone.
“Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1105 on: January 22, 2019, 02:48:11 AM »
Well, to be fair, film music isn’t my forte or really something I’m all that knowledgeable about. My favorite film score composers are Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone.

Many rate LOR score v highly. Jerry Goldsmith is possibly my favourite film composer, especially for the original Planet of the Apes, The Omen and especially Damien: Omen II and Capricorn 1.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #1106 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
Many rate LOR score v highly. Jerry Goldsmith is possibly my favourite film composer, especially for the original Planet of the Apes, The Omen and especially Damien: Omen II and Capricorn 1.

All great scores from Goldsmith, too! 8)
“Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy