Author Topic: Debussy's Preludes  (Read 31740 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
Re: Debussy's Preludes
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »
I think that the Reflets dans l'eau from Rev is nice  -- it's the one on Hyperion -- I don't know if she recorded it for Saga  --

I offer you here (for a few days only) Livia Rev playing Reflets from the Saga recording. First half only.

Reflets

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2018, 03:25:21 AM »
It should still be on Symphonyshare.

I offer you here (for a few days only) Livia Rev playing Reflets from the Saga recording. First half only.

Reflets

Thanks to both of you. I hadn't noticed that upload on symphonyshare so there's a lot for me to explore there. I remember being in a discussion with some people about the relative merits of Reflets dans l'eau as played by Rev and Michelangeli, and the real piano connoisseurs were adamant that Rev on Saga was "THE BEST"
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »
Listened to Preludes Book II by Aimard on DG.

A worthy effort, the recording, as I mentioned somewhere above, is from a rather distant perspective with generous reverberation.

There are some brilliant bits here, such as fireworks, but I find myself more drawn to the preludes which are playful and lively, and the distant perspective tends to blur the articulation in these pieces. I seem to be gravitating towards the less dreamy interpretations of this music, and Monique Haas and Thibaudet are working better for me now.

I have other versions to explore, but time to listen to something else, as I am experience prelude fatigue. :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »
Listened to Preludes Book II by Aimard on DG.

A worthy effort, the recording, as I mentioned somewhere above, is from a rather distant perspective with generous reverberation.

There are some brilliant bits here, such as fireworks, but I find myself more drawn to the preludes which are playful and lively, and the distant perspective tends to blur the articulation in these pieces. I seem to be gravitating towards the less dreamy interpretations of this music, and Monique Haas and Thibaudet are working better for me now.

I have other versions to explore, but time to listen to something else, as I am experience prelude fatigue. :)

You should listen to Jacobs’ recording (if you haven’t already). Kocsis, too, for that matter.
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
You should listen to Jacobs’ recording (if you haven’t already). Kocsis, too, for that matter.

broken record alert!!

lol, just teasin ya ;)
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2018, 05:11:49 AM »
broken record alert!!

lol, just teasin ya ;)

:P It’s true though! I’m starting to sound like one indeed.
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy