Author Topic: Debussy's Preludes  (Read 33409 times)

Online snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Debussy's Preludes: Hakon Austbo, If You Haven't Tried...
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
I have just discovered Hakon Austbo's Simax Debussy. :-* :-* :-* Sound+Performance... as a Standard Issue, this works out-of-the-box for me...
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Online Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
Re: Debussy's Preludes
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
I've come off my Debussy Preludes burn out and spot listened to a few pieces to reaffirm earlier impressions. Monique Haas on Erato, which I was trying to convince myself I likes, I admit I don't like, at least in the Preludes. But for a brisk, unsentimental version, Thibaudet is superb. For Poetic/spiritual, Arrau.  Must go back to Samson Francois. And must listen to Pollini.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »
I found an unusual and interesting one recently which people who like Michelangeli's accuracy, timbre and coolth may care to try, it's on spotify. Bruno Canino. It made me wonder whether there really is an Italian style in post war piano playing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:39:04 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
Martin Jones’ set isn’t even in the lower echelon of great Debussyians for me. He’s never been a pianist I’ve flocked to anyway. When you have pianists like Jacobs, Kocsis, Michelangeli, Bavouzet, Blechacz, Egorov, Cassard, among others, why in the world would I even want to hear any more of Jones’ traversal of Debussy? Then there’s the Nimbus sound --- oh vey.

No, of course I agree, it was an accident. However, he's pretty straightforward in his interpretations, so I could at least hear things somewhat MOR, and he's pretty good with rhythmic outburst/"puckish" bits,... but, yea, he's by no means Transcendental, as I said, it was an accident :-\

Stanislaw Bunin (DG)
Alexis Weissenberg (DG)

These two recitals represent what blows me away in Debussy Piano Playing. I know the latter is controversial, but I was blown away by 'The Snow Is Falling'.

Austbo Vols. 2-3 (Simax)
Kocsis 'Images' CD (Philips)
Beroff 3CD (EMI)
Crossley (SONY)... along with Roge/JYT, so-so,...

And these are the ones I'm coming back to most often for compares. Thankfully, most all Debussy PM recordings are on YT, to make any FinalPurchaseDecision a correct and lasting one!! Can't AFFORD to get into a Debussy War with my pocketbook, and don't want to, either.

I'm getting a little bit better handle on how to look at Debussy, the Piano Master. Who is his heir? Or, is his influence so absorbed by ALL, that finding it is ubiquitous?

Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Draško

« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
I found an unusual and interesting one recently which people who like Michelangeli's accuracy, timbre and coolth may care to try, it's on spotify. Bruno Canino. It made me wonder whether there really is an Italian style in post war piano playing.

That is an interesting question. I certainly can hear some similarities in Italian pianists I'm familiar with, like  Michelangeli, Pollini or Piemontesi. They all have in common certain clarity, sharpness of attack, sparser using of pedal (but not dryness as with some older generation French players), but does that constitute a national style is difficult to tell. Perhaps there is some influence across the generations, but sample of pianists I know isn't broad enough to tell with any certainty. It does make me want to hear Zecchi, Ciani, Canino and maybe some more though.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
That is an interesting question. I certainly can hear some similarities in Italian pianists I'm familiar with, like  Michelangeli, Pollini or Piemontesi. They all have in common certain clarity, sharpness of attack, sparser using of pedal (but not dryness as with some older generation French players), but does that constitute a national style is difficult to tell. Perhaps there is some influence across the generations, but sample of pianists I know isn't broad enough to tell with any certainty. It does make me want to hear Zecchi, Ciani, Canino and maybe some more though.

Of course, Michelangeli was Pollini's teacher, so that can explain some commonality in their style and approach.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »

Who is Zecchi?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr