Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1891977 times)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28180 on: September 18, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
Ah the Hays Code! Speaking of Hitchcock, since Karma Houdini's (the villain getting no comeuppance) were also frowned upon (although there were exceptions such as Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life), they had to insert in Vertigo the radio broadcast of the fact that the murderer did, in fact, get caught. Hitchcock was not happy with this insertion.

In Hitchcock's preferred ending, which as I recall is the book's ending, he murders her, but she confides her fears in a letter. Cary Grant makes sure she is dead, notices her outgoing mail, picks it up, and — cut— we see him post it. That would satisfy the Hays code, but as Karl notes the real problem was making CG a murderer.
Francis Iles, who wrote the book, hated the movie because of the change, which vitiates the whole story.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #28181 on: September 18, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »

Second time watching this. Really enjoyed it. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #28182 on: September 18, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »
Just saw Whiplash again. G** D*** what a movie!! Superb movie with phenomenal ending. Acting is great all the way through. If you ever played an instrument in a group, you've got to see this. And yet, it's really about much more than that. Seriously kick a** film!! And seriously good music!!

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28183 on: September 18, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Just saw Whiplash again. G** D*** what a movie!! Superb movie with phenomenal ending. Acting is great all the way through. If you ever played an instrument in a group, you've got to see this. And yet, it's really about much more than that. Seriously kick a** film!! And seriously good music!!

This is definitely on my list of things to see, just haven't got around to it yet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28184 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »

Yes, I have seen that one and it is indeed excellent. Very well driven.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.