Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 306900 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #3980 on: December 05, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm eating a lot at a local Veracruzan (the Mexican city) restaurant. Not my pictures, but they'll give you a good idea:

Cochinita pibil (pork marinated in spices & orange juice) tacos

Picaditas
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:42:29 PM by Brian »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3981 on: December 14, 2016, 08:37:25 AM »
If they tasted half as good as they looked, you were in for a treat.

I'm making a batch (~4lbs) of bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) now, with all the stale bread that's accumulated over the last half year. The great advantage in this is that the variety of bread and esp. prevalence of Pretzels makes the dough much more interesting than the usual 'white Kaiser-roll' bread that you can buy for the purpose.

Will be used in dinner tonight, which I expect to be a cream-mushroom-beef-strips stew of sorts (taken out of the round; from the a local butcher-friend-of-the-extended-family) with said dumplings. I use about 2x the amount of eggs most recipes ask for, which makes the Semmelknödel fluffy to the point of total silliness!  ;D

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3982 on: December 14, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
Back from the gym and enjoying daal makhani accompanied by a garlic and coriander naan, although the latter is not of my own making. And one pint of milk, also not of my own making.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Offline Mahlerian

« Reply #3983 on: December 16, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »
Cooked myself a meal of sauteed cod in white wine sauce with asparagus on the side.  It turned out pretty well!

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3984 on: December 17, 2016, 04:04:57 AM »
Cooked myself a meal of sauteed cod in white wine sauce with asparagus on the side.  It turned out pretty well!

Where in the world is it asparagus season right now? New Zealand?

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3985 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
For those who want to read a really, really harsh restaurant review from yours truly:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniel's into it and passed it to a new customer."

I'm making a batch (~4lbs) of bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) now, with all the stale bread that's accumulated over the last half year. The great advantage in this is that the variety of bread and esp. prevalence of Pretzels makes the dough much more interesting than the usual 'white Kaiser-roll' bread that you can buy for the purpose.

Will be used in dinner tonight, which I expect to be a cream-mushroom-beef-strips stew of sorts (taken out of the round; from the a local butcher-friend-of-the-extended-family) with said dumplings. I use about 2x the amount of eggs most recipes ask for, which makes the Semmelknödel fluffy to the point of total silliness!  ;D
Man, this sounds great!

GF and I threw a dinner party on Saturday and made, for the first time, cassoulet - complete with duck confit. Took 7 lbs. of lard to make the confit, but the cassoulet was delicious. :) Paired it with some reds, both rustic and refined, from California and Southern Oregon.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The sound of a lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #3986 on: December 21, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
For those who want to read a really, really harsh restaurant review from yours truly:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniel's into it and passed it to a new customer."
Man, this sounds great!

Ouch! Scathing review. I love it! :D I have found places like that to be ridiculously overhyped.
"In the next world I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it." - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3987 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
Post gym - fried beef with bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, onions and tomatoes. Egg fried rice. One pint of milk.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3988 on: January 05, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
And tonight on my way back from the surprisingly quiet gym I picked up chicken chow mein and sesame toast with crispy seaweed from the surprisingly busy takeaway. But the biggest surprise of all was that I'd forgot to buy milk.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #3989 on: January 05, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
But the biggest surprise of all was that I'd forgot to buy milk.

??? ??? ??? ...maybe this is a sign that you're ready to be weaned  :D ;)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3990 on: January 05, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
??? ??? ??? ...maybe this is a sign that you're ready to be weaned  :D ;)

Sarge

Hahaha. No chance.  :laugh:

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK