Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 415989 times)

George

Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #940 on: January 20, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

Organic Brown Rice (so damn hard to cook without scorching!)

Raw Almonds

Organic Cashew Ginger Carrot Soup 

Mmmmmmmmmm.

uffeviking

« Reply #941 on: January 20, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
Next time you are at your Deli, see if they have Cambozola, a German import; it's like a blend of Camembert and Gorgonzola, 40% saturated fat, and it's delicious with a fresh pear.  :D

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #942 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »
Blue cheeses are perfect with a ripe pear or fresh figs. I thought cambozola was italian  :o . I know it well and like it, as well as the gorgonzola, but when it's all said and done, nothing beats the King of cheeses.  8)

uffeviking

« Reply #943 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, André, Cambozola is Bavarian! With a perfectly cooled Washington State Chateau Ste. Michelle Liebfraumilch makes it a perfect late evening snack; like a sophisticated, elaborated Betthupferle!  ;D

longears

« Reply #944 on: January 21, 2008, 05:45:36 AM »
Organic Brown Rice (so damn hard to cook without scorching!)
If you don't have a gas stove that you can turn down to a very low simmer, then you just have to adjust the water-to-rice ratio until it's right for your setup, George. 

George

« Reply #945 on: January 21, 2008, 06:27:15 AM »
If you don't have a gas stove that you can turn down to a very low simmer, then you just have to adjust the water-to-rice ratio until it's right for your setup, George. 

I do have a gas stove.  :-[

Does the size of the pot matter? Is wider better or worse?

If I still have problems, is more water better?

Offline Novi

• Veteran member
« Reply #946 on: January 21, 2008, 06:43:56 AM »

Get an electric rice cooker, George. They kick ass :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #947 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:30 AM »

I don't cook brown rice, but for white rice, the ratio that I use is 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice (and some olive oil of course). You should leave it on medium heat, and  turn it down to a simmer and cover immediately when you see the water boiling. I actually take it down an extra notch below simmer (the fire is barely visible) and let it cook for 15-20 minutes adding a few dropf of water here and then. But on the other hand I like it  when the rice at the very bottom turns a little brown and crunchy.
And from my experience, wider is not better.

Do you cook Quinoa? It is fast becoming my favorite grain of them all.

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #948 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:14 AM »

I would use a heavy pot, not too wide, and add a little butter or olive oil. If you have too little water, that could result in scorching too - especially as brown rice needs more time to cook than white or basmati. The usual proportions are 1 part rice to 2 parts water, but less water makes a firmer rice and more water a softer one. You could also turn the heat off at the point the rice is nearly done, and leave it covered for 5-10 minutes. It will continue to cook and absorb remaining water from the retained heat, with less risk of scorching.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

George

« Reply #949 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:34 AM »
Get an electric rice cooker, George. They kick ass :).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need to do that. I've heard they are great!

George

« Reply #950 on: January 21, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
I don't cook brown rice, but for white rice, the ratio that I use is 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice (and some olive oil of course). You should leave it on medium heat, and  turn it down to a simmer and cover immediately when you see the water boiling. I actually take it down an extra notch below simmer (the fire is barely visible) and let it cook for 15-20 minutes adding a few dropf of water here and then. But on the other hand I like it  when the rice at the very bottom turns a little brown and crunchy.
And from my experience, wider is not better.

Thanks!

Do you cook Quinoa? It is fast becoming my favorite grain of them all.

No, but I plan to. Amaranth is the best grain IMO, healthwise. If you combine it with another grain like rice, it has more protein per pound than meat.  :o

(I coul;d be wrong, but it's something like that) 

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #951 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
Thanks!

No, but I plan to. Amaranth is the best grain IMO, healthwise. If you combine it with another grain like rice, it has more protein per pound than meat.  :o

(I coul;d be wrong, but it's something like that) 
I have to try Amaranth too. . They look very similar actually.I  wonder if they are both from the same family.

What I particularly like about Quinoa, except for the nutritional value, is the texture of the germs that separate from the grain when you cook them. They are crunchy  :D I sometimes add quinoa to homemade soups, it cooks with the soup and enhances both the flavor and the  goodness.

George

« Reply #952 on: January 21, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »
I have to try Amaranth too. . They look very similar actually.I  wonder if they are both from the same family.

What I particularly like about Quinoa, except for the nutritional value, is the texture of the germs that separate from the grain when you cook them. They are crunchy  :D I sometimes add quinoa to homemade soups, it cooks with the soup and enhances both the flavor and the  goodness.

Mmmmmm.  :)

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #953 on: January 21, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, André, Cambozola is Bavarian! With a perfectly cooled Washington State Chateau Ste. Michelle Liebfraumilch makes it a perfect late evening snack; like a sophisticated, elaborated Betthupferle!  ;D

Lis, I'm fraid that nectar is not available here :P. How about an alsatian riesling? or an ice cider?

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #954 on: January 21, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
Well, a couple of nice nights of eating!  ;D

Last night, out at our local mountain bistro - special was 'grilled ostrich' which I had medium rare - prepared similar to the venison that I've ordered often - delicious - just w/ side dishes of veggies (asparagus & spinach) - couple of glasses of New Zealand Pinot Noir:)

Tonight was my wife's birthday - willing to take her out again, but she wanted some simple shellfish; so, out shopping today & brought back some fresh clams - steamed as an appetizer - and 'live' lobsters, again steamed for 12 minutes + a nice salad & a little white wine (tonight - Kunde '06 Sauvignon Blanc) - delicious & simple to make -  :D

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #955 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
Making a broccoli and cheddar quiche.  Also planning some more sirarcha chicken wings for tomorrow.

Allan

George

« Reply #956 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:31 PM »

Seven Clementines   8)

Offline 12tone.

« Reply #957 on: January 21, 2008, 05:53:25 PM »
It's just so good!  8)

BorisG

« Reply #958 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »