Author Topic: Vivaldi: cantatas, motets, and other sacred works  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
Vivaldi: cantatas, motets, and other sacred works
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »
Using Arkive Music as a categorical guide, what do you have and enjoy within this given framework of cantatas, motets, and other sacred works?  I have Muti's Magnificat and Gloria, enjoy it much and would like to continue exploring more choral works from Vivaldi.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline val

• Veteran member
Re: Vivaldi: cantatas, motets, and other sacred works
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:08:30 AM »
Some suggestions:

Gloria, by Stephen Preston (a beautiful Choir) (DECCA)

Stabat Mater, with Sara Mingardo and the Concerto Italiano (Musica Sacra vol. I) (OPUS 111).

Nisi Dominus, Motets, by Teresa Berganza and Ros-Marbá (ENSAYO)

Magnificat, Dixit Dominus, by Robert King, vol. I of his sacred music (HYPERION)

Juditha Triumphans, conducted by Negri, not very exciting, but with remarkable soloists: Ameling, Hamari, Finnila.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »
Bill, some favourites. :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

dtwilbanks

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
Gee, why do you like those, Mr. Q?  ;D

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the bump here, toucan.  I will look into this set.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:32 PM »
If I had to choose just one recording, I would choose this 2-CD set of the Vivaldi Edition:

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
If I had to choose just one recording, I would choose this 2-CD set of the Vivaldi Edition:

Definitely.

As well as this:

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:36:03 AM »

Me too.  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

kishnevi

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
Me too.  :)

Q

Antoine's choice was the first recording I thought of.
As a supplement,  try the King's College Choir recording of the Gloria/Dixit Dominus/Magnificat on EMI.

I was not happy with the Muti recording of the Gloria/Magnificat. At least as currently remastered on GROC, it sounds as if the mikes were covered with pillows--everything is uniformly muffled.

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 12:57:25 AM »

http://losslessclassics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vivaldi_nisi_dominus_stabat_mater.jpg

Jaroussky and Lemieux with two Vivaldi works, a short disc, but one that enjoyed enough not to mind. First up is the Nisi Dominus, usually recorded by a female, here it is the countertenor and it is his singing of the slow movements that really caught my attention here. The singing is inwards and hushed. Some of the faster areas of the piece sound a bit too fast to me.

The other piece is the Stabat Mater which both singers have previously recorded. I have not heard Lemieux on her earlier version. This one is very fine, the conductor allow time for the music to breathe and the singer to express. She has quite a rich voice, the music does not sound starved and she expresses the words well.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 01:26:18 AM »
Of course I am a fervent supporter of HIP et al, but this 1967 performance of Stabat Mater RV 621 still moves me, mainly because of the heartfelt singing by Aafje Heynis. (And probably also because of warm childhood memories.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3a9QXnRHK4
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
Laudate Pueri (rv 601) Quite operatic solo soprano piece with some really beautiful moments.
In Furore
Lauda Jerusalem (for two choruses and soloists)

Robert King's versions for me. (Strangely, for works that have dozens of recordings, his never make an impression on me, but for works with only a handful of renditions, I always seem to find his the best.)

Some of this sacred works have extremely short movements which, unless they run directly into the next movement, has a negative effect on my enjoyment. But that's me.

Will provide a more complete list when I'm home.

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 05:02:56 AM »
Laudate Pueri (rv 601) Quite operatic solo soprano piece with some really beautiful moments.
In Furore
Lauda Jerusalem (for two choruses and soloists)

Robert King's versions for me. (Strangely, for works that have dozens of recordings, his never make an impression on me, but for works with only a handful of renditions, I always seem to find his the best.)

I have Robert King's boxset on Hyperion. It contains some amazing recordings. For In furore iustissimae irae, however, I definitely prefer the recording by Julia Lezhenva and Il Gardino Armonico on Decca:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MeXS8S3ftwU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MeXS8S3ftwU</a>

The coloratura is out of this world, and there's just so much fire in the ensemble! Unbeatable. Makes King and his soprano seem tame in comparison.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:11:23 AM by betterthanfine »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation!  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:58 AM »
Geen dank, Que! ;) I saw this young lady at the Muziekgebouw in Amsterdam last year and was thoroughly impressed.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.