Author Topic: What are you drinking?  (Read 65099 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Eating all the protein.
Re: What are you drinking?
« Reply #660 on: January 12, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »

There are a few unopened bottles remaining from the unofficial housewarming party. I'll open this one as soon as my fish supper (haddock and chips) is delivered. Simple pleasures and all that.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #661 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
Not enough.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #662 on: January 13, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
Lemon La Croix.

Which reminded me of a podcast I listened to that said Peach La Croix, or better Peaches La Croix, could pass for a strippers name.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #663 on: January 13, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

Glen Moray 'Elgin Classic'.

A single malt with no age statement.

Xmas was spent in the company of a friend and his family. This included he and I passing time during a couple of evenings sitting in his garden while enjoying another such single malt - Tamnavulin. The worst thing I can say about that one, is that the colour is most unnatural. But taste wise, it was a simple pleasure and a treat in the company of a small cigar (the Cuban Romeo y Julieta - don't sneer, take any ego you have and leave it folded neatly by the door and enjoy) that held it's own with this simple but solid Speyside. And apparently, this 8 year old whisky is produced for some of the Lidl range. But tonight I'm not drinking the Tamnavulin, although I wish I was.

So, Glen Moray 'Elgin Classic'. If the Tamnavulin received a heavy hand with caramel colouring, then the same hand applied the caramel flavour to this. Yes, it's finished via sherry casks, but that's no excuse. To recreate the taste of this in your own home, drink any garden variety whisky - frankly, if you have balls, I suggest the Whyte & Mackay 'Glasgow/Special Blend' (which, no matter who you are, if you ever come to Scotland I will take you to the pub and stand at the bar and drink this with you) while masticating a box of day old glazed doughnuts.
I'm a simple man of simple tastes, but this whisky is taking it too far.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
This afternoon with lunch -

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #665 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »

Glen Moray 'Elgin Classic'. Tamnavulin.

I've had twenty-nine Scotch single malts (and a few Irish) but never those two. Thanks for the review. One to avoid, one to consider.

...frankly, if you have balls, I suggest the Whyte & Mackay

A test of masculinity?  :D  I'm in.

Sarge
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:43:28 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #666 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
I've had twenty-nie Scotch single malts (and a few Irish) but never those two. Thanks for the review. One to avoid, one to consider.

You're welcome.

A test of masculinity?  :D  I'm in.

Sarge

Good stuff. I'll keep you a place at the bar.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #667 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
A dram, or two. of the insanely powerful Aberlour A'bunadh (this batch, 60.2% alcohol): it will either wake you up with an electric jolt, or put you in a deep coma  ;D

"...a whisky that is aged solely in ex-Oloroso sherry butts. A'bunadh means "Original" in Gaelic and this was designed as a replica to a whisky produced at this distillery in the late 1800's. This is produced in batches and bottled at cask strength."

Sarge
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:47:37 PM by Sergeant Rock »

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #668 on: January 14, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
A dram, or two. of the insanely powerful Aberlour A'bunadh (this batch, 60.2% alcohol): it will either wake you up with an electric jolt, or put you in a deep coma   ;D

Sarge

That's a win/win, either way. Heh.

But it looks great, Sarge. The question is, are you having it straight? Or with it being cask strength, a dash of water to help open it? If it's the former and so you can no longer type, I understand. 8) hahaha

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #669 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »
That's a win/win, either way. Heh.

But it looks great, Sarge. The question is, are you having it straight? Or with it being cask strength, a dash of water to help open it? If it's the former and so you can no longer type, I understand. 8) hahaha

I've read the pros and cons of adding water to single malts. I've tried it both ways with each bottle, but prefer it straight (hardcore  ;D ). With blends I often, not always, add water and ice.

Sarge

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #670 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
I've read the pros and cons of adding water to single malts. I've tried it both ways with each bottle, but prefer it straight (hardcore  ;D ). With blends I often, not always, add water and ice.

Sarge

I don't take it with water either. But I consider it perfectly acceptable to do so. In a real working man's type pub you'll always find water jugs on the bar.

For added authenticity, most men would order a hauf an' a hauf pint. So a half of whisky and a half of whatever draught lager is on tap. But that's serious bevvying behaviour.

There, now you know all you need to know to get by in Glasgow. ;D In Edinburgh it's different, because they can't handle hardcore. ;D

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • WT Sherman
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #671 on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:43 PM »
A dram, or two. of the insanely powerful Aberlour A'bunadh (this batch, 60.2% alcohol): it will either wake you up with an electric jolt, or put you in a deep coma  ;D

"...a whisky that is aged solely in ex-Oloroso sherry butts. A'bunadh means "Original" in Gaelic and this was designed as a replica to a whisky produced at this distillery in the late 1800's. This is produced in batches and bottled at cask strength."

Sarge

ELGARIAN!!!!

(Aside to Nik: Elgarian was the GMG member who introduced us to that, the best water of life that ever came out of Scotland.  He is, alas, no longer active here. )

Sarge

I add water for the purely practical reason that undiluted it causes gastric reflux rather badly, proving it is indeed "firewater"

TD
Jim Beam Black Extra Aged Bourbon.
An inexpensive bourbon that does not taste inexpensive.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:28 AM »
ELGARIAN!!!!

Yes, his "review" inspired my purchase.

Sarge

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #673 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
For added authenticity, most men would order a hauf an' a hauf pint. So a half of whisky and a half of whatever draught lager is on tap. But that's serious bevvying behaviour.

That's a boilermaker in the States: shot of whiskey with a beer chaser.

Sarge

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #674 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
ELGARIAN!!!!

(Aside to Nik: Elgarian was the GMG member who introduced us to that, the best water of life that ever came out of Scotland.  He is, alas, no longer active here. )

The good stuff always gets around!

I add water for the purely practical reason that undiluted it causes gastric reflux rather badly, proving it is indeed "firewater"

Like I said, it's all cool, however it's enjoyed.

TD
Jim Beam Black Extra Aged Bourbon.
An inexpensive bourbon that does not taste inexpensive.

I've tried the 'ordinary' Jim Beam but never heard of (or seen) that one.

Tonight with dinner it's this -

As for dinner,I didn't go food shopping post gym, so I'll just cut pockets into a couple of chicken breasts and stuff them with butter, garlic and basil. Wrap them in aluminium foil and about 20-25 minutes in the oven should do it. With ten minutes to go, it's bowl, couscous, olive oil, lemon juice, boiling water, green onion, salt and pepper - and that'll do me for carbs. Over the last couple of years cooking for myself has been reduced to the level of 'Tonight I will have protein, fat, and carbs'.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »

One of the remaining bottles that was given to my ex after a job. I'll be drinking it with dinner tonight, which will be smoked salmon pasta (via butter, garlic, lemon, creme fraiche, parmesan, chives) because it's easy to prepare and cheap and cheerful.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2018, 07:39:10 AM »

One of the remaining bottles that was given to my ex after a job. I'll be drinking it with dinner tonight, which will be smoked salmon pasta (via butter, garlic, lemon, creme fraiche, parmesan, chives) because it's easy to prepare and cheap and cheerful.

Does Pinot Grigio count as drinking?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK