Author Topic: Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande  (Read 16769 times)

M forever

Re: DeBussy's Pelleas et Melisande
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »
Envy what? He said "want", not "went".

karlhenning

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
I don't know why a capital B in the name Debussy jars as much as it does . . . .

Haffner

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
Envy what? He said "want", not "went".

Eeeewps.

lukeottevanger

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »
I don't know why a capital B in the name Debussy jars as much as it does . . . .

I was waiting for someone to say that - desperately hoping it wasn't just me!

Don

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
I want to see  Pelleas et Melisande  performed at Bayreuth every summer.

Now you know that will never happen.  Set your sights on a goal that has some viability.

karlhenning

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
Now you know that will never happen.  Set your sights on a goal that has some viability.

For some folks, there's Fantasy Football;  I don't mind allowing Eric this pipedream  8)

Homo Aestheticus

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
I have only the Karajan/EMI recording of this work, which I was sent as a wonderfully gracious gift by a GMG forum member.

;)

0:)

karlhenning

Re: Debussy's Pelleas et Melisande
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
(* Jeevesian cough *)

Especially noteworthy:

Quote from: nw
For lovers of the work (they exist: the worldwide web has made public all manner of eccentricities. I confess it does absolutely nothing for me) . . . .

Brünnhilde forever

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
In the Opera on DVD topic is a P&M mentioned by T-C, making it almost worth a trip to Vienna next year: Laurent directs it and it's with Dessay, Naouri and the new sensational French baritone Decout8)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »
(* Jeevesian cough *)

Especially noteworthy:

Karl,

I'll see your npw quote and raise you this:

Nothing wrong with loving P+M - there are few works I love more myself.

;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Moldyoldie

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
You probably hear a lot of "Wagnerizing" in Karajan's performance because that's precisely how he spins the music. This is Debussy through a Wagner prism.

I used to have Karajan's recording and while he makes a case for the work as late romantic, others I feel tend to find more modernism in it. Especially the French recordings from the middle of 20th century, starting with Desormière's pioneering account, to Ansermet, to Cluytens, to Baudo.

Each of these have that eminent "French" quality in that they downplay weight and grandeur and emphasize the subtle play of light and shade. Which I think perfectly complements the whispery quality of the libretto.

I think if you're looking for a recording to put on the shelf next to Karajan with a suitably contrasting style you can't do any better than Cluytens. The orchestra, the cast, the execution, all add up to highest quality. The sound is mono, recorded in 1956, but it's amazingly realistic and full.

FWIW, this is a work I love immensely and currently own five recordings of it (Cluytens, Baudo, Dutoit, Abbado, and Haitink). 

Thanks much, Donwyn.  I just clicked "Complete Your Order". ;)  de los Angeles was the kicker.

Pelléas et Mélisande is the one opera I have no problem listening to on a whim -- love it!  I have the Dutoit recording.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:59:56 PM by moldyoldie »
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it’s around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
 - Steve Reich

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
Thanks much, Donwyn.  I just clicked "Complete Your Order". ;)  de los Angeles was the kicker.

Pelléas et Mélisande is the one opera I have no problem listening to on a whim -- love it!  I have the Dutoit recording.

I think you've got yourself a good one, moldy. Yes, de los Angeles is great. Keep us posted!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 03:00:04 AM »
Is the Libretto with an English translation available online?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 03:45:27 AM »
Oh, I hope not.

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »
Ah - IMSLP has them, naturally!

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?action=post;topic=8963.20;num_replies=33

Hmmm.  That link just makes a reply to this thread.  Here's the IMSLP page:  http://imslp.org/wiki/Pell%C3%A9as_et_M%C3%A9lisande_(Debussy,_Claude)

That translation's pretty dated.  Decca used to have the booklet for the Ansermet recording in their "Compact Opera Collection" series online, but I can't find it (the libretto, I can find the recording) at their website.  I'll check the recording when I get home and see if the address they give still works.

Edit:  The Decca libretto is at http://www.deccaclassics.com/compactoperacollection/libretti/.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:41:46 PM by Wendell_E »
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Clever Hans

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
It indicates that the page is not available. I assume you are looking for the libretto.

I have had a look around. On-line, I can see the following.

http://www.naxos.com/education/opera_libretti.asp?pn=&char=ALL&composer=Debussy&opera=Pelleas_et_Melisande&libretto_file=Act_I.htm

However, it is not translated, so I am not sure it is what you want.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Clever Hans

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »

However, it is not translated, so I am not sure it is what you want.

Mike

Thanks for your help. Yes, I was hoping someone who has the Ansermet set had downloaded the libretto while the page was still up.

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
Thanks for your help. Yes, I was hoping someone who has the Ansermet set had downloaded the libretto while the page was still up.

I found a French/English libretto here:  http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP09094-Debussy-PelleasLibrettoFE.pdf 

The translation's a bit old and musty ("How old may you be?").  I may have a copy of the libretto from the Decca recording on my home computer.  I'll check and see when I get home this afternoon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:07:21 AM by Wendell_E »
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain