Author Topic: Frederick Delius  (Read 84002 times)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: Frederick Delius
« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
I quite liked it --- nay, it sounded right up my alley, actually. So where do I get from here?

IMHO, no one surpasses Barbirolli

The well known miniatures and two of the large scale pieces.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
An excellent set indeed, lots of Delius miles will be covered with it  :).

Sea Drift and the Florida Suite should be sought too.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
IMHO, no one surpasses Barbirolli

The well known miniatures and two of the large scale pieces.

Wasn't the Appalachia in this box Barbirolli's very last recording....?

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2019, 11:54:20 PM »

Barbirolli collapsed while recording Appalachia but recovered and carried on. The following day (18th July 1970) he completed Appalachia and the recorded Brigg Fair.

He carried on rehearsing and giving concerts including Elgar 1 in King's Lynn (24th July), his last live recording. His last performance was of Beethoven 7.  He rehearsed Britten's Sinfonia da Requiem and Beethoven's Eroica on 28th July and died the same night of a massive heart attack.

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #844 on: May 15, 2019, 01:03:43 AM »
Barbirolli collapsed while recording Appalachia but recovered and carried on. The following day (18th July 1970) he completed Appalachia and the recorded Brigg Fair.

He carried on rehearsing and giving concerts including Elgar 1 in King's Lynn (24th July), his last live recording. His last performance was of Beethoven 7.  He rehearsed Britten's Sinfonia da Requiem and Beethoven's Eroica on 28th July and died the same night of a massive heart attack.

thankyou for clarifying that.  A curious rather poignant aptness that Delius and Appalachia in particular were indeed part of Barbirolli's final studio recording given that Delius is very much pre-occupied with the idea of transience parting and farewell.  There is that extraordinarily rapturous climax at the end of Appalachia; "t'wards the morning lift a voice, let the scented woods rejoice and echoes swell across the mighty stream" before the music fades to quiet reflection - quite possibly my favourite moment in all Delius along with the closing pages of "A Village Romeo & Juliet" which inhabit a very similar emotional world.....

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2019, 07:19:31 AM »

Proof that no one reads my posts!  :)

You don't get it. Barbirolli sold me on Delius decades ago. Music sells music, not words. :)

Delius was Barbirolli's last recording. He had serious heart disease. He collapsed on the podium in the middle of the session and was taken to Hospital. He checked himself out of the hospital and returned to Kingsway Hall to finish the recording. He lived another two weeks after that.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #846 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:09 AM »
Delius was Barbirolli's last recording. He had serious heart disease. He collapsed on the podium in the middle of the session and was taken to Hospital. He checked himself out of the hospital and returned to Kingsway Hall to finish the recording. He lived another two weeks after that.

That must have cost a fortune, at MU session rates.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #847 on: May 16, 2019, 02:21:16 AM »
That must have cost a fortune, at MU session rates.

Barbirolli collapsed just before the afternoon 3 hour session was due to start. An ambulance was called but Barbirolli was determined to carry on. After consulting his doctor, Michael Linnet, on the phone he went home to rest. Presumably the session was cancelled; there was no hospital visit and no orchestra waiting round for him. He returned next day to finish Appalachia and then recorded Brigg Fair - his last studio recording.

Source: Barbirolli Conductor Laureate by Michael Kennedy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2019, 07:08:29 AM »
Barbirolli collapsed just before the afternoon 3 hour session was due to start. An ambulance was called but Barbirolli was determined to carry on. After consulting his doctor, Michael Linnet, on the phone he went home to rest. Presumably the session was cancelled; there was no hospital visit and no orchestra waiting round for him. He returned next day to finish Appalachia and then recorded Brigg Fair - his last studio recording.

Source: Barbirolli Conductor Laureate by Michael Kennedy

There you go, reading books, when I was trying to recall what I read in the CD booklet notes. I returned to the booklet just now, less detailed that what you found out. One interesting detail, a photograph of Barbirolli in the control room listening to playback of the tapes of Appalachia with the record producer. He's got a cigarette in his mouth. Just the cure for a man who had been passing out with heart attacks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:14:04 AM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
I don't think that Delius will be one of my favorite British (or whatever nationality) composers, but I do enjoy some works of his, being my overall favorite Florida Suite. In spite of being an early work, it's a sincere, pastoral, lovely and bucolic piece of a significant inspiration. Besides it, the violin sonatas, Appalachia and the String Quartet are other firm favorites. I've listened to the most of his orchestral works, whilst they are pleasant, they don't grab me as much as I wanted.

Very much agree with this. The lovely Florida Suite may not be mature Delius, but it's by some distance the work of his which I return to the most. I'd also add North Country Sketches and the Piano Concerto to my list of favorite Delius works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »
The only Delius I've heard so far is Idylle de Printemps from this:

I quite liked it --- nay, it sounded right up my alley, actually. So where do I get from here?

Andrei, you'd absolutely LOVE the Florida Suite!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2019, 03:24:06 AM »
I've been thinking about buying this disc for ages and recently took the plunge.

Very good versions of both works recorded in Chandos' favoured slightly recessed SA-CD sound.  I must admit I prefer the immediacy and 'bite' of their older house-recording style.  I read somewhere that they might be giving up on the SA-CD/muti-channel format.

As far as performances go I'm not always that enamoured of Davis in Delius but this is one of his better discs.  Would it automatically supplant other/older/favourite versions?.......

no ..... but glad to have it for comparison (if pushed for one I'd go for the BBC Radio Classics version)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
How convenient this thread should show up. I picked up a disc last week of Delius orchestral works, including Paris: The Song of a Great City, Brigg Fair and In A Summer Garden (BBC SO/A. Davis). I vaguely recall hearing Paris at a Prom some time ago.