Author Topic: What were you listening to? (CLOSED)  (Read 6792067 times)

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Piano music, Russian music, Mahler, Bruckner
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #102820 on: February 26, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
I enjoyed the Bach. Not so much the Schubert. Then I got sidetracked.  ;D

I didn't like both, and over the Schubert I fell asleep :)

Ataraxia

« Reply #102821 on: February 26, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
I didn't like both, and over the Schubert I fell asleep :)

Yeah, it's not my favorite.

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
« Reply #102822 on: February 26, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
I can't get enough of this discovery:

Marin Marais

Pièces de viole du second livre
Jordi Savall et al.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:08:22 PM by Sadko »

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #102823 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
spending the evening with Hermann GOETZ Der Widerspenstigen Zahmung  (The Taming of the Shrew)
on vinyl as the set (used) came with a text and translation.   There's another perfomance on Gala cd's conducted by Keilberth from Munich, 1955 that has no text.
Karl Elmendorff, cond.   Dresden State Opera  copyright is 1952
Sven Nilssen, Margarete Teschemacher, Elfride Trotschel, Gottlob Frick (here as Hortensio, he appears as Baptista in the Keilberth), Pavel Mirov, Matthieu Ahlersmeyer
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:34:52 PM by listener »

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #102824 on: February 26, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Dinnerstein's title and my previous listen today (Bernard Lagacé doing Bach) recalled me that probably these are not times specially favorable to things "almost being said".

Like Sainte-Colombe's output.  :)

Now playing:

Volume II: Concerts XIX à XXXV

8)

Offline Est.1965

• Veteran member
  • Havergal Brian wrote two symphonies in 1965
« Reply #102825 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
Didn't waste any time getting this (as a download)...

Thanks Discobole.   8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:41:54 PM by Scots John »
Dear Hans Rott
In the 1980s there was a creative punk group called "Big Audio Dynamite".  I have decided to apply the term to you, my man.  And I still haven't properly finished your Screenplay yet.  Too bad.  Take care anyway old chum, I'm off to listen to Brahms!
Kind regards, John

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during the Magic Nights
« Reply #102826 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
Solti's CfO is very good, and the Dance Suite and the Violin Concerto are two of the best Bartok recordings in the modern era.

I agree. The Dance Suite is wonderfully performed. The same goes for the concerti.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Est.1965

• Veteran member
  • Havergal Brian wrote two symphonies in 1965
« Reply #102827 on: February 26, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
That's a fabulous set.  Dohnanyi's 8th is a permanent member of my personal Hit List, and the pairing with the 3rd works brilliantly (as it does also for Szell...) :D

How very interesting.  I must check that out.
 :)
Dear Hans Rott
In the 1980s there was a creative punk group called "Big Audio Dynamite".  I have decided to apply the term to you, my man.  And I still haven't properly finished your Screenplay yet.  Too bad.  Take care anyway old chum, I'm off to listen to Brahms!
Kind regards, John

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #102828 on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
Debussy

La Mer

New Philharmonia Orchestra
Boulez

Is it worth getting the Cleveland version on DG as well if you have the one above?

I think I do enjoy the Sony 2-CD set better, but there's something to be said of Boulez's DG remakes. The clarity in the music is just remarkable and the Cleveland Orchestra play incredibly well. I think the earlier Boulez recordings do have a bit more energy to them though. But it really doesn't matter, Debussy's Boulez recordings are all remarkable IMHO.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
« Reply #102829 on: February 26, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
I think I do enjoy the Sony 2-CD set better, but there's something to be said of Boulez's DG remakes. The clarity in the music is just remarkable and the Cleveland Orchestra play incredibly well. I think the earlier Boulez recordings do have a bit more energy to them though. But it really doesn't matter, Debussy's Boulez recordings are all remarkable IMHO.

I have a feeling I might prefer the newer version, I like the calmness of the later Boulez, it has something "wise" and "subtle" if I remember correctly, but I think I want to refresh these memories and find out.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #102830 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
I have a feeling I might prefer the newer version, I like the calmness of the later Boulez, it has something "wise" and "subtle" if I remember correctly, but I think I want to refresh these memories and find out.

I wish Boulez recorded more Debussy. I think he would have worked wonders with Le Martyre de Saint Sebastien. This work hasn't been recorded very much. I only know of two complete recordings of it --- Bernstein and Tilson Thomas. I haven't heard Bernstein's, but Tilson Thomas's is fantastic.

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
« Reply #102831 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
I wish Boulez recorded more Debussy. I think he would have worked wonders with Le Martyre de Saint Sebastien. This work hasn't been recorded very much. I only know of two complete recordings of it --- Bernstein and Tilson Thomas. I haven't heard Bernstein's, but Tilson Thomas's is fantastic.

Le Martyre de Saint Sebastien - I didn't listen to this work yet, it is on the to do list.

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
« Reply #102832 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
At the moment I'm listening to jpc test bits of

Mozart
Così fan tutte

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf et al.
Guido Cantelli

Thanks to the Blind Listening thread.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #102833 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »
Now:

More Shostakovich with DePriest -

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #102834 on: February 26, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
I love this girl. I don't have any of her discs (well, almost, because I have her fantastic Beethoven's cello sonatas with Zuill Bailey), but I love her. And now she plays Bach and Schubert in the same disc..., excellent; and she chooses my favorite harpsichord partita to start the disc, played exactly on the opposite style I like (she plays an introverted/slow beginning v/s the extroverted/virtuosistic kind of beginning that I like). She is challenging me!  ;D

P.S.: Not to mention the exquisite title of the album.

I've listened to that recording exactly once, and that was not enough for me to decide if I like it or not, and why.  The title, or rather the poem from which the title comes, reminded me of why I never like Larkin's poetry.

I have two of her other recordings, of which I would suggest this one to you.  The contemporary work, by Lasser, is the highlight for me, but she does a pretty good job with the other works on the program.

Thread duty: another new arrival gets a first listen. 

Given the two groups involved, one would expect high quality, and one gets exactly that.
This was, btw, Richard Campbell's last recording.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #102835 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »

Listening to Russian Easter Ovt., wow, Stokowski turns this piece into a mammoth wall of sound.

Offline fridden

« Reply #102836 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Yesterday I continued my Shostakovich listening with symphony 7 and 8 with Haitink. I really liked these two symphonies!

Also I saw some talking about Martinon in Debussy, so I hade to listened to these beautiful performances. I have this EMI box with 8 CD with both Debussy and Ravel, and it's just great. I listened to La Mer and Nocturnes, and will continue with some more today.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #102837 on: February 26, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »

This morning back to the 8th disc of Vernet's Bach Cycle. He is playing the Treutmann organ in Graufhof-Goslar. Gorgeous. :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #102838 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »
Mackerras and Mozart are really quite delightful - a good match (which also means I will probably cave in and get his Tito after all). Listening to symphonies 14-18. I really wish I had gotten this (Telarc) set when it was less than $20. I have a number of the earlier symphonies with Mackerras, and each disc is excellent. I would think that both HIP and non-HIP would enjoy these too. It's a nice middle ground.

Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #102839 on: February 27, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »
A disc that surprised me by it sheer quality of Olivier Vernet's Organ playing, made me somewhat grumpy with the middle of the road vocal contributions of Ensemble in Ore mel, and made me fall in love with the Organ "Thomas du Prieure de la Cotellerie, Bazougers".
The recording is really first rate, and Krebs music makes me gasp in amazement. I simply burn the organ music to a disc, and leave the vocal things out of it. Noemi Rime should be ashamed for the silly vibrato she is applying to this music, so inappropriate.
Ligia doesn't think much of customers outside of France, there is no translation of the French, as always the French think we should know our French, after all its still a language widely used........they wish.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:10:10 AM by Harry »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK