Author Topic: Mauricio Kagel (1931-2008)  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
Re: Mauricio Kagel (1931-2008)
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
Kagel has strongly asserted his self as one of my absolute favorite composers. I can't get enough of him, I just want more and more!!  8)

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
I am more than surprised that the Kagel thread hasn't picked up discussion at all  :-[

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
I am more than surprised that the Kagel thread hasn't picked up discussion at all  :-[

Why?
"In the next world I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it." - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

ein....... zweeeei...........dreiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii................vierrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........funfunfunfunfunfunfunf......

SEX!! ;)
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
Re: Mauricio Kagel (1931-2008) kagel's bagel
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
It also would have done better with the proper ThreadTitle: Kagel's Bagel.

Haydn-Sikh

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
Why?

Why not?

In other words, there are a ton of people who like similar music on here that it is surprising :)

• Veteran member
kagel's bagel
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »
It also would have done better with the proper ThreadTitle: Kagel's Bagel.

Definitely a huge improvement  :D

Can Bruce fix it up??   ::)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
Re: kagel's bagel
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
Definitely a huge improvement  :D

Can Bruce fix it up??   ::)

He CAN

He WANTS

He WILL!!

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The sound of a lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Why not?

In other words, there are a ton of people who like similar music on here that it is surprising :)

But my point is Kagel isn't exactly a composer that gets much recognition around here. If I posted every time I feel a composer isn't getting the attention they deserve, I'd be well into the 50,000 post mark by now.
"In the next world I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it." - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

People think he's the guy that makes the trombonist bark like a dog.... oh,... yea,... he is!! :laugh:

Only five people know about String Quartet No.3 ;)

Next snowstorm I'll break out the 3 Piano Trios...

Haydn-Sikh

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
People think he's the guy that makes the trombonist bark like a dog.... oh,... yea,... he is!! :laugh:

Only five people know about String Quartet No.3 ;)

Next snowstorm I'll break out the 3 Piano Trios...

I should make a recommendations list?  ;)
Seeing as I appear to be the only other person majorly listening to his work.

Have you heard his ensemble/orchestral work Snyprrr?

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »

Yes, he's hilarious.

I still wonder why I adore Kagel but not....um.....Lachenmann or composers of that variety  ???

Could be the humor or the really (what I find to be) engaging approach to timbres and that kind of stuff...

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
I should make a recommendations list?  ;)
Seeing as I appear to be the only other person majorly listening to his work.

Have you heard his ensemble/orchestral work Snyprrr?

Yes, please make a Detailed list, by all means.

Orchestral- I've perused the ColLegno and DG sets,... I liked the AvantBaroque piece, but the music that sounds like Salon Muisc... that's the part of Kagel, and some other... umm... Accordion Lovers (lol)... that tyrolian flavor that many times is meant to be mocking of the Received Tradition... I mean, Kagel does do that a bit...

I wasn't to keen on the 'Wind Rose' pieces... those are the "salon" pieces? The 'Lieberliedkuss; or whatever I liked better, and the Sextet on that same disc...

I can't remember how far into 'Exotica', 'Tactil', or 'Acoustica', I have gotten,...

maybe it's the Pretentious Mine Aspect of Kagel people shy away from??? lol, that's funny

I need a good pretentious mime movie, got a recommends? :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'(

anyhow

Kagel would approve of the way I Post

but that's just my opinion

Haydn-Sikh

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
Yes, please make a Detailed list, by all means.

Orchestral- I've perused the ColLegno and DG sets,... I liked the AvantBaroque piece, but the music that sounds like Salon Muisc... that's the part of Kagel, and some other... umm... Accordion Lovers (lol)... that tyrolian flavor that many times is meant to be mocking of the Received Tradition... I mean, Kagel does do that a bit...

I wasn't to keen on the 'Wind Rose' pieces... those are the "salon" pieces? The 'Lieberliedkuss; or whatever I liked better, and the Sextet on that same disc...

I can't remember how far into 'Exotica', 'Tactil', or 'Acoustica', I have gotten,...

maybe it's the Pretentious Mine Aspect of Kagel people shy away from??? lol, that's funny

I need a good pretentious mime movie, got a recommends? :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'(

anyhow

Kagel would approve of the way I Post

but that's just my opinion

ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝʌol plnoʍ lǝƃɐʞ ˙suoᴉʇɐpuǝɯɯoɔǝɹ ǝɯos ǝʌɐɥ I 'uoos ǝɯᴉʇ ǝɯos ʞɹoʍ s,lǝƃɐʞ ɟo ʇsᴉl ǝɔᴉu ɐ ǝʞɐɯ llᴉʍ I

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Did you hear "Music for Renaissance Instruments"?

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
That is an interesting observation you have made..........I have never introduced his music to anyone to be able to know this. What I find pretty cool about his music is his ability to be both experimental and fun at the same time. This was an also an aspect of Ligeti's music which owes to his popularity (aside from being featured in 2001 A Space Odyssey). His references to styles already in existence would create a lot of familiarity for people unfamiliar with his music as well.

I am currently listening to this excellent series of works. I would actually like to see what people think of his music when listening to these pieces for the first time! They are often fun and quirky. Kagel mixes up diatonicism and chromaticism a lot, possibly in a similar way that Stravinsky does in his popular Russian period of musical composition as well. There are lots of already familiar types of formal structures when it comes to phrases, periods etc. so there is a lot in this that any classical music fan would be familiar with anyway. I know that I can hear things in this music that aren't too far removed from composers like Britten, Ligeti, Shostakovich, Walton, even Reich at times, or styles like a tarantella, African and Afro-Cuban music. Mostly, elements from those styles have made their way into a plethora of classical compositions and popular music. I would be surprised if people listening to this wouldn't find anything they can at least connect with......it would probably come down to a kind of pickiness in how these styles are uniquely represented by Kagel.

I am copying this over from WAYLTN to ask the question of whether other can hear similarities between Kagel and these other composers/styles which I have mentioned.

Do you hear them too?

I believe this is a fairly recent release, at least on Spotify, because it has the year 2017 written next to it on my Spotify app.

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
I am copying this over from WAYLTN to ask the question of whether other can hear similarities between Kagel and these other composers/styles which I have mentioned.

Do you hear them too?

I believe this is a fairly recent release, at least on Spotify, because it has the year 2017 written next to it on my Spotify app.

Yes, I do.

Have you heard "music for for renaissance instruments"? that reeks of Ligeti in my opinion.

Stravinsky can be heard quite strongly in pieces like "les idees fixes".

Stockhausen's instrumental techniques and use of physical gestures is also similar, except Kagel takes it much much further.

Some of his work could be considered "performance art" like this: https://youtu.be/GYo5QlkK-Eg

I guess part of his skill with his most "avantgarde" works are that he completely puts you on the edge, not know what is going to happen.
And of course there's lots of whimsy  :laugh:

Also, did you know that Kagel's "staatstheater" inspired Ligeti's Le Grand Macabre  ;)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Haha yep I knew the Ligeti influence! I haven't heard so much Kagel but I've read about his works a bit.

Offline chadfeldheimer

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
I agree, Kagel definitely doesn't get enough attention on this forum. He wrote a huge number of fantastic pieces and imo did not went out of steam till the end of his life. His later works are a more accessible than the earlier ones, but still retain the same strange humour and ironic bite, which is not everybody's cup of tea, of course. My latest purchase of his music is the radio play "playback play" and I like it a lot. It's a pity that many of his earlier works are not available on CD.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK