Author Topic: Henning's Headquarters  (Read 493090 times)

mc ukrneal and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

karlhenning

Re: Henning's Headquarters
« Reply #420 on: May 13, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
Turns out that Ed was responsible for the breakdown of the soundboard.  No comment.

Ed also gave away my 21 May recital date;  he simply promised it to another group without checking the calendar.  Hoping that the violist can find a Wednesday clear to reschedule.

greg

« Reply #421 on: May 14, 2008, 06:28:02 AM »
Turns out that Ed was responsible for the breakdown of the soundboard.  No comment.

:D

karlhenning

« Reply #422 on: May 14, 2008, 06:31:02 AM »
No, no. I still forbear to comment.

Offline BachQ

• Veteran member
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2008, 06:32:19 AM »

No, no. I still forbear to comment.

Karl, while it may be true that you have "no comment," we know what you're thinking:

greg

« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2008, 06:34:21 AM »

karlhenning

« Reply #425 on: May 15, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »
Violist Peter Cama-Lekx, who has just completed a Master's in viola performance at Boston University, and whose steady-state for as long as I've known him as been about two or three orders too busy (for he is trying to accomplish much) . . . Pete and I have rescheduled our duo recital for Wednesday, 18 June. Not only is it that this gives us ample calendar space for rehearsal, Pete's life over the next few weeks allows him to rehearse a lot. And, as I'm taking next week off from the various jobs, I will be able both to get the wedding music wrapped up, and get the clarinet into fighting trim.

The program:

Obsession & Digression || Duologue & Monologue
[ Listening to the Early 21st Century ]

Steve Hicken, The Rings of Saturn (2005) (cl/va duet; premiere)
Joshua Sellers, Dithyramb (1992, rev. 2008) (cl solo; premiere)
Karl Henning, Irreplaceable Doodles (2007) (cl solo)
Henning, Blue Shamrock (2002) (cl solo)
Henning, The Mousetrap (2007) (cl/va duet; premiere)

Karl Henning, clarinet
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola

Wednesday, 18 June 2008
12:15pm
The Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont Street, Boston

Blue Shamrock and the Irreplaceable Doodles are intense technical challenges, the kind of music which forces me to practice, rather than coast into a performance. The new duet, The Mousetrap, has difficulties of a similar order; knowing Pete for a crack violist, I wrote a part that he can really dig into . . . and sure enough, he has muttered things like, "Evil!," "You're crazy, you know," &c. as we've worked on the piece.

greg

« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »
and sure enough, he has muttered things like, "Evil!," "You're crazy, you know," &c. as we've worked on the piece.
oh, we all knew that......

karlhenning

« Reply #427 on: May 20, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
And now, per Brett's suggestion, some noodly organ toccata-ish bits  ;)

karlhenning

« Reply #428 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »
Weird, but entirely good, news: there is a CD with the 4 May performances of Pascha nostrum & Nuhro.

karlhenning

« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »
And now, per Brett's suggestion, some noodly organ toccata-ish bits  ;)

And a kind of staggering brass chorale which practically wrote itself.  Weird.  But nice.

"Staggering" as in gradual entrances;  I wasn't being self-congratulatory  8)

Harry

« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »
The piece you send me, Prelude for Organ is quite a fascinating work, that kept me listening. :)
I will have to listen much more to it, and somehow relate the sounds to a real organ, but its certainly spellbounding.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:26:10 AM by Harry »

karlhenning

« Reply #431 on: May 23, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
Thanks, Harry; and I hope that all is going well in preparation for tomorrow's performance!

Harry

« Reply #432 on: May 23, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »
Thanks, Harry; and I hope that all is going well in preparation for tomorrow's performance!

Yes, all is going well!
It will be a success. :)

karlhenning

« Reply #433 on: May 23, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
Just as I knew to expect: splendid!

I do have a special fondness for that Magnificat, you know!

karlhenning

« Reply #434 on: May 24, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
There's a lot that is 'untrue' to the piece in this MIDI . . . the organ patch is weird;  and because I'm not really happy with the solo string patches, I've here used a 'String Ensemble' patch for the string quartet, so that the quartet, too, sound much bigger in the mix than they ought.  Oh, and did I mention that the organ patch is weird? -- the final A in the organ is actually notated an octave lower than it sounds.  All the same, the surging energy of the piece comes across.

greg

« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »
There's a lot that is 'untrue' to the piece in this MIDI . . . the organ patch is weird;  and because I'm not really happy with the solo string patches, I've here used a 'String Ensemble' patch for the string quartet, so that the quartet, too, sound much bigger in the mix than they ought.  Oh, and did I mention that the organ patch is weird? -- the final A in the organ is actually notated an octave lower than it sounds.  All the same, the surging energy of the piece comes across.
wait....... now which one is op.93?

greg

« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Karl, my 4000th post is coming up..... any ideas?

and when your 10,000th post comes up.... we'll have to make a thread for that!  :)

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Wagner, Brian, Bax, Dyson, Delius...
« Reply #437 on: May 25, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »
Karl, my 4000th post is coming up..... any ideas?

and when your 10,000th post comes up.... we'll have to make a thread for that!  :)

Harry will be there first...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

greg

« Reply #438 on: May 25, 2008, 02:49:39 AM »
Harry will be there first...
ok, then we should maybe start a single thread for everyone who reaches 10,000 maybe?

karlhenning

« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
wait....... now which one is op.93?

The Wedding Music