Author Topic: John Cage (1912-92)  (Read 43014 times)

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    9th-16th c. | 20th-21st c.
Re: John Cage (1912-92)
« Reply #620 on: December 16, 2016, 03:50:56 AM »
You didn't give me a chance to finish the post.

:D

Offline torut

« Reply #621 on: December 16, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
^^^^^ this looks very cool! Vinyl only?

Download is available from bandcamp.
https://karlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/complete-song-books

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #622 on: December 16, 2016, 08:25:01 AM »
Download is available from bandcamp.
https://karlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/complete-song-books

There are two recordings of the songbooks, that one and with Lore Lixenberg and others - the latter a selection. You NEED both. Or Neither. But one will not do.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #623 on: December 19, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »
I don't know if anyone's posted this already, but the OgreOgress recordings of many of the Number Pieces are now available as lossless downloads from cdbaby at very cheap prices. Three of them are almost free, but there's lots around the $5-$7 mark, many with 2+ hours of music.

The really cheap ones:

Three2, Twenty-Three, Six, Twenty-Six: $1.75
Four4: $1.85
One4, Four, Twenty-Nine: $2.45
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline torut

« Reply #624 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
There are two recordings of the songbooks, that one and with Lore Lixenberg and others - the latter a selection. You NEED both. Or Neither. But one will not do.

I listened to both. The Sub Rosa recording (with Lixenberg), which I prefer, has more variety of voice, and the usage of electronics and the accompaniment are less intense. No. 17 is the most beautiful.

According to Sub Rosa, it is also a complete recording (and the first one) of Song Books. The "mix" tracks "comprise layered 'Solos for Voices' in superimpositions that were created using chance operations." (discogs)

Amelia Cuni and Joan La Barbara are also very good, though they recorded just few selections.

Offline torut

« Reply #625 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
I don't know if anyone's posted this already, but the OgreOgress recordings of many of the Number Pieces are now available as lossless downloads from cdbaby at very cheap prices. Three of them are almost free, but there's lots around the $5-$7 mark, many with 2+ hours of music.

The really cheap ones:

Three2, Twenty-Three, Six, Twenty-Six: $1.75
Four4: $1.85
One4, Four, Twenty-Nine: $2.45

It's really nice. I downloaded Three2 etc. and Three, Twenty-Eight, Fifty-Four, Fifty-Seven. I believe there are few (none?) other recordings of Twenties pieces. Fifty-Four is actually Twenty-Six performed with Twenty-Eight, and Fifty-Seven is Twenty-Eight with Twenty-Nine. These are rich works.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #626 on: December 20, 2016, 01:11:49 AM »
I listened to both. The Sub Rosa recording (with Lixenberg), which I prefer, has more variety of voice, and the usage of electronics and the accompaniment are less intense. No. 17 is the most beautiful.

According to Sub Rosa, it is also a complete recording (and the first one) of Song Books. The "mix" tracks "comprise layered 'Solos for Voices' in superimpositions that were created using chance operations." (discogs)

Amelia Cuni and Joan La Barbara are also very good, though they recorded just few selections.

I agree with you completely, I had noticed that it was probably complete after I made that post.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    You
« Reply #627 on: August 13, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »
It's Monday now so, last week I had a little Cage revival and I happen to be listening to him quite frequently at the moment (being one of the only 20th century composers that I'm actively listening to right now.

BRB
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #628 on: August 13, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
It's Monday now so, last week I had a little Cage revival and I happen to be listening to him quite frequently at the moment (being one of the only 20th century composers that I'm actively listening to right now.

BRB

I had just gotten out of my Cage rediscovery before you got here... I was surprised by the later works, sounding much like a random Feldman.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #629 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
Strangely enough I listened to some of the harmonies from the Apartment House, both in the version for violin by Arditti and the version for violin and keyboard by Roger Zahab and Eric Moe. The Arditti caught my imagination, their transcription makes the music sound like nothing else.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    You
« Reply #630 on: August 14, 2017, 01:45:56 AM »
I had just gotten out of my Cage rediscovery before you got here... I was surprised by the later works, sounding much like a random Feldman.

The number pieces? (e.g. Seven2)

Yep, I can see that connection  :)
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    You
« Reply #631 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »
Strangely enough I listened to some of the harmonies from the Apartment House, both in the version for violin by Arditti and the version for violin and keyboard by Roger Zahab and Eric Moe. The Arditti caught my imagination, their transcription makes the music sound like nothing else.

God I love Apartment House 1776, such a special work to me!  :-*

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
    9th-16th c. | 20th-21st c.
« Reply #632 on: August 17, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
One can never listen to too much Cage.

;)

Offline millionrainbows

« Reply #633 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
Cage tried to remove as much of his personality as possible from his work, but, ironically, it is those works in which I can detect his personal touch that are some of my favorites.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    You
« Reply #634 on: September 11, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
Picked up a copy of "Silence" by John Cage from the library:

8)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK