Author Topic: Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)  (Read 73483 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)
« Reply #560 on: November 27, 2016, 06:52:53 AM »
Hi HIPster,
Whether you should get yet another Brandenburgs,  is up to you... :)
I am usually not do keen on multiple recordings, but was looking for a new recording after it had been a long time I lived with Harnoncourt II and wanted to give myself an update on what was available. During those years I sometimes considered other recordings like Kuijken I (underpowered) or Alessandrini  (definitely Italianate). I did keep Linde Consort, which I like very much. I also love Caf Zimmermann but those are a special case.

So like a year ago I listened to every sample and excerpt available of old and new recordings.
The process of comparison  was instructive and surprising. I would have bet a considerable sum on a choice for Concerto Kln, the Freiburgers or Akademie fr Alte Musik Berlin. With a choice like that, how can you go wrong? ::) Well the Freiburgers were on CD definitely a let down... I'm not much into the pumped up style of the drilled Akademie. The Concerto Kln fared best but didn't quite enthrall me, a bit of "going through the motions"? Excellent musicianship, don't get me wrong. Of the Oldies I really liked Goebel, but too dated and too similar an approach to Linde to justify the purchase. I also was quite taken by the charming performance, however dated, by Leonhardt et al on SEON.

So the final choice fell on a dark horse pointed out by premont Gordo: Rdiger Lotter and his Hofkapelle Mnchen. New kids on the block to keep an eye on. Why? The perfomances are a breath of fresh air: spontaneous, very energetic like Harnoncourt and Savall but remarkably balanced, never over the top. Still: probably not for the fainthearted.... For those looking for a "pretty" version, Kuijken II is a perfect match. The sound of the Hofkapelle is very clear and natural. Another point is that I'm not always into Bach in "foreign" accents - this is profoundly idiomatic. I also like how they treat each concerto very much according to its own individual character - some amazing instrumental solos to be heard.

Anyway, perhaps just sample and see if it gives off a vibe.... :)

Q

Have you had the chance to hear Lotter playing the violin music?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #561 on: November 27, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
Thanks for your response Que and also for your efforts to keep this all organized and in one place; some worthy choices here!  ;)

How about this release from the Die Freitagsakademie?

Worth reading amazon reviewer Stephen Midgeley's impressions here (he digs it, in short).  I need to play this one again; I initially was able to stream it through amazon prime and couldn't really formulate much of an impression on the musical performance.  This has to be one of the most unique Brandenburg Concerto programs available! 

Who else has heard this account?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:25:18 AM by HIPster »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #562 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »
Thanks for your response Que and also for your efforts to keep this all organized and in one place; some worthy choices here!  ;)

How about this release from the Die Freitasakademie?

Worth reading amazon reviewer Stephen Midgeley's impressions here (he digs it, in short).  I need to play this one again; I initially was able to stream it through amazon prime and couldn't really formulate much of an impression on the musical performance.  This has to be one of the most unique Brandenburg Concerto programs available! 

Intersting find! Talking about dark horses...  :D
I will give it a listen, but honestly I expect the sound effects to be totally off puting.

Q
chacun son got.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #563 on: November 27, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
I guess subconsciously I'm inclined to attribute any Bach related recommendation to premont... ;)

Long time no see, my friend ! :)
Keep those excellent recommendations coming.... :D

Q

I think I will enjoy my 15 minutes of fame. It's being increasingly hard to recommend something (anything) here.  ;)
Isn't it funny? The truth just sounds different.
-- Penny Lane, Almost Famous (2000)

Online (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #564 on: November 27, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »

How about this release from the Die Freitagsakademie?

I consider this recording a bad joke. What you hear is the soundtrack to some (apparently imaginary) movie, and you get the music mixed up with all kinds of naturally occurring sounds, a special example of concrete music. To mention one thing: In the beginning you approach Kthen from a distance, so you can not hear the first half of the first movement of concerto no. one. You only get aware of it gradully in the sound picture. What musical purpose does this serve? The musical playing, when audible, seems not that bad, but it is difficult to evaluate under these circumstances.
Tiden lger alle sr,
heldigt nok at tiden gr.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Bjrk
« Reply #565 on: November 27, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Come back Walter Wendy Carlos, all is forgiven?

Online (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #566 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
I guess subconsciously I'm inclined to attribute any Bach related recommendation to premont... ;)

I shall do my best to live up to this, but reserve the right to also recommend things which are not by Bach.

;) :)
Tiden lger alle sr,
heldigt nok at tiden gr.

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #567 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
Bumping this for ludwigii to post some thoughts.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #568 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
I just listened to BWV 1065, the quadruple harpsichord concerto after Vivaldi. Leonhardt and friends on Das Alte Werk. Slowish in the first movement, but it's a dynamic and incredibly intense performance of music that I dont normally think of as particularly intense. The various harpsichords are more distinct than usual, via registration and placement. Remarkable.

This set deserves to be reissued (and put on spotify).

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #569 on: September 26, 2017, 10:15:03 PM »
I just listened to BWV 1065, the quadruple harpsichord concerto after Vivaldi. Leonhardt and friends on Das Alte Werk. Slowish in the first movement, but it's a dynamic and incredibly intense performance of music that I dont normally think of as particularly intense. The various harpsichords are more distinct than usual, via registration and placement. Remarkable.

This set deserves to be reissued (and put on spotify).

The Leonhardt et al set is, despite the technically outdated recordings, extremely good.
Before my encounter with Moroney et al (Plectra), it used to be my go-to set. :)

No idea why is has been OOP for so long? ::)

Q
chacun son got.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »
The Leonhardt et al set is, despite the technically outdated recordings, extremely good.
Before my encounter with Moroney et al (Plectra), it used to be my go-to set. :)

No idea why is has been OOP for so long? ::)

Hmm. There was something I about the Moroney set that turned me off, but I cant remember what it was, and its not in my notes. I should re-spin it.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
Hmm. There was something I about the Moroney set that turned me off, but I cant remember what it was, and its not in my notes. I should re-spin it.

I have to add that the two performances are quite different in style & approach.

Q
chacun son got.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK