Author Topic: Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)  (Read 38066 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)
« Reply #380 on: July 14, 2017, 06:21:17 AM »
Returning tomorrow, actually. A wise decision, Karl - I'll have to get back to work on that set soon.

Very good!  Just got a message to expect delivery late next week.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:14 AM »
I had not listened to this in many years.

Any modern recommendation for the 10th ? This Barshai version is musically excellent, but in mono.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »

Any modern recommendation for the 10th ? This Barshai version is musically excellent, but in mono.

Try the recording with Kremer and Kremerata Baltica, it's a good rendition of this wild and gripping work. BTW, this is one of my favorite ones by Weinberg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GY6Z3LA/musicwebuk

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #383 on: July 14, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

Wonderful performance of Symphony 6 with its children's choir - a very moving work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline relm1

« Reply #384 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
I have this one which I am very fond of and find the Shosti piece equally moving.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »
The Kremer 10 (+ piano quintet etc) is in my cart ! It is indeed a strange but very compelling work, more's the pity that the mono sound fails to do justice to Barshai's interpretation.

Yes, the 6th is indeed a great work, and Kondrashin loves it immensely !

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #386 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:11 PM »
The Kremer 10 (+ piano quintet etc) is in my cart ! It is indeed a strange but very compelling work, more's the pity that the mono sound fails to do justice to Barshai's interpretation.

Yes indeed re Kondrashin - my favourite soviet-era conductor. I had the LP. Took me a while to realise how moving a work Symphony 6 is. Spiritually linked to Shostakovich's 'Babi-Yar' Symphony 13 in a way. I first heard it in my 20s when I mainly listened to orchestral works. Weinberg's 6th Symphony was one of the first choral works I really appreciated apart from the choral works of Vaughan Williams.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #387 on: July 15, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »

Yes, the pf quintet is exquisite!  And . . . this means (I think) the third performance of this piece I shall have heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #388 on: July 15, 2017, 05:46:19 AM »
I have all the Olympia symphony discs (5 or 6 if I'm not mistaken). A few years ago I made copies of them for a fellow poster (don't remember who), and sent along the booklets, with the proviso that they be returned once copied ( I couldn't be bothered to make copies of all those pages). I never saw the booklets again  >:( .At least I have the music !

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
I feel your pain!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2017, 03:36:09 AM »
(Cross-post)

Pleased to find that the Quintet (of which I already had two recordings) is an arrangement for piano, string orchestra . . . & percussion.

Less annoyed 0:) than I thought I might be that, in fact, the first three Chamber Symphonies do indeed consist substantially of reworkings of quartets—“The changes between the Second Quartet and the Chamber Symphony № 1 are minor”; “The [Chamber Symphony № 2] is in large part a transcription of his third sting quartet”; “Three out of four movements of the Chamber Symphony № 3 (1990), are either based on or actual transcriptions from his String Quartet № 5 (composed in June/July 1945).”  They are, after all, the composer’s own work of adaptation, and to be sure, I have yet to firm up my acquaintance of even those few of the quartets which I have already heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »
I wish someone would record the complete piano sonatas. It is a wonderful and varied body of work that I have been listening to piecemeal on youtube. Not to mention a box set of the complete symphonies. I'd by both immediately.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
I wish someone would record the complete piano sonatas. It is a wonderful and varied body of work that I have been listening to piecemeal on youtube. Not to mention a box set of the complete symphonies. I'd by both immediately.

A complete recording of the sonatas exists, the pianist who performed them is Allison Brewster Franzetti (Grand Piano label), in fact, all the piano works are recorded (at least it says in the set title). They are substantial, highly absorbing. All the symphonies aren't recorded completely (9, 11, 13 and 15 are missing, sadly).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK