The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Audiences hate modern classical music because their brains cannot cope

<< < (36/135) > >>

jochanaan:

--- Quote from: Franco on February 28, 2010, 05:10:25 PM ---...My guess is most are as self-supporting as your local symphony orchestra.

--- End quote ---
And probably more so. 8)

Scion7:
I think the problem is, for every atonal composer who really accomplished something sublime and knew what they were doing (Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, etc.) many - read most - of those that came in their wake were not inspired and you get mud. 

If the piece is wonderful and entertaining - for example, BARTOK's third and fourth string quartets - I don't care if it is "serial music" or ultra-modern - but if you're a charlatan just grinding it out, I'll respond accordingly. 

Jo498:

--- Quote from: Scion7 on October 05, 2015, 11:07:50 PM ---I think the problem is, for every atonal composer who really accomplished something sublime and knew what they were doing (Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, etc.) many - read most - of those that came in their wake were not inspired and you get mud. 

--- End quote ---
Isn't this also true for a lot of (usually deservedly) forgotten late/neo-romantic music from the last 120 years? I fail to see who the existence of lots of less inspired or downright bad art incriminates difficult and daring avantgarde art compared to more conservative/traditionalist art.
Even if doing avantgarde was always more "risky" it could be worth lots of "misses", i.e. the "hits" are so much more interesting than attempts that did not strive for something risky and interesting.

The new erato:

--- Quote from: Jo498 on October 06, 2015, 12:29:40 AM ---Isn't this also true for a lot of (usually deservedly) forgotten late/neo-romantic music from the last 120 years? I fail to see who the existence of lots of less inspired or downright bad art incriminates difficult and daring avantgarde art compared to more conservative/traditionalist art.
Even if doing avantgarde was always more "risky" it could be worth lots of "misses", i.e. the "hits" are so much more interesting than attempts that did not strive for something risky and interesting.

--- End quote ---
Probably true. It's just that bad tonal music is just banal and boring, while bad modern music is an earsore (have I invented a new term?)or whatever.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
Is every new piece which is not clear to our ear on first hearing "mud"? I ask only for information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version