John Foulds - 'A World Requiem'

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 03:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom

Quote from: Jezetha on November 14, 2007, 09:36:40 AM
Thom, you did a great job! I listened to the performance last Sunday and was really impressed by this work. Great to be able to listen to it again!

I downloaded the files without any problems (I have a Rapidshare account...)

Great. Happy to hear that these links work!

Dundonnell

Stupid of me not to check this thread before now. I was looking for discussion in the composer section for some reason.

Interesting to read vandermolen's report on the concert and Ivan Hewett's review in the 'Daily Telegraph'. John Allison in today's 'Sunday Telegraph' calls the work "cumbersome", "undistinguished", "turgidly scored", adds that the "few genuinely striking effects .....are little compensation" and generally dismisses the work as that of a crank!

Will just have to wait until January and listen to the CD for myself.

Wanderer

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 18, 2007, 03:13:06 PM
John Allison in today's 'Sunday Telegraph' calls the work "cumbersome", "undistinguished", "turgidly scored", adds that the "few genuinely striking effects .....are little compensation" and generally dismisses the work as that of a crank!

Nonsense. It can't be worse than Verdi's and everyone seems to like that one.

Mark

John Allison in today's 'Sunday Telegraph' calls the work "cumbersome", "undistinguished", "turgidly scored", adds that the "few genuinely striking effects .....are little compensation" and generally dismisses the work as that of a crank!

Yes, but Allison also asserted - in last month's Gramophone - that Nigel Kennedy is ' ... possibly the world's greatest violinist ... '. On this evidence, I think it's fairly safe to dismiss his review of Fould's 'A World Requiem' (or indeed, his review of anything) as the insane dribblings of an idiot. ;)

vandermolen

Stupid of me not to check this thread before now. I was looking for discussion in the composer section for some reason.

Interesting to read vandermolen's report on the concert and Ivan Hewett's review in the 'Daily Telegraph'. John Allison in today's 'Sunday Telegraph' calls the work "cumbersome", "undistinguished", "turgidly scored", adds that the "few genuinely striking effects .....are little compensation" and generally dismisses the work as that of a crank!

Will just have to wait until January and listen to the CD for myself.

I agree with Ivan Hewett who gave a very balanced review in the Daily Telegraph (see above). I thought that it was a very fine work, deeply moving in places and I'm really looking forward to the Chandos release on 2nd January. Foulds was an underrated composer of some fine music (Three Mantras, Dynamic Tryptich, April-England, Lyra Celtica and some excellent chamber music).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mark

This, from Chandos' monthly eNewsletter:

Many of you will be aware of the much-anticipated concert that took place at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday 11 November: a performance of A World Requiem by John Foulds. This featured amongst the soloists the wonderful Gerald Finley, along with massed choirs and the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leon Botstein. This historic event was recorded live and the recording will be released on multiple formats in January. To give you an idea of the treasures in store on this release we will be offering audio samples in the next couple of weeks, exclusively on our site, so please visit us to hear excerpts of this long-neglected work.

Guido

The obvious comparison to remark on is that Foulds might be somewhat like the English Ives - the same time period of course, wildly experimental, lofty spiritual aspirations, far ahead of their time and essentially alone in their exploration of musical language - both were seen as slightly mad for their ideas, but they composed on regardless. But then of course there are many differences too, which are probably too obvious to mention.

This piece is absolutely fantastic - I adore many of his other works, and am currently trying to get hold of the sheet music to his cello concerto - though it's painfully difficult to obtain! It is apparently a very good piece and similar in parts to the wonderful cello sonata. It was played once in the late eightees by Raphael Wallfisch and was broadcast, but unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has kept their recording of this radio performance, and neither does Foulds' current main editor and champion.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mark

Quote from: Guido on November 26, 2007, 05:42:36 AM
... and neither does Foulds' current main editor and champion.

You mean, writer and reviewer, Malcolm (Calum) MacDonald, old friend of our very own Dundonnell?

Guido

Quote from: Mark on November 26, 2007, 08:53:16 AM
You mean, writer and reviewer, Malcolm (Calum) MacDonald, old friend of our very own Dundonnell?

I am embarrassed to say that I cannot remember his name. Do people have any more thoughts on this work? I haven't got the Chandos CD, though am fairly tempted.
Geologist.

Wanderer

Quote from: Guido on March 28, 2008, 07:41:56 PM
Do people have any more thoughts on this work? I haven't got the Chandos CD, though am fairly tempted.

You'd better succumb at your earliest convenience.

I find it to be an excellent and at times extraordinary work. The performance as well as the SACD recording are superlative.

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on March 28, 2008, 07:41:56 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I cannot remember his name. Do people have any more thoughts on this work? I haven't got the Chandos CD, though am fairly tempted.

There are a couple of reviews here (one written by me) which may help youto make up your mind.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foulds-World-Requiem-Jeanne-Mich%C3%A8le-Charbonnet/dp/B000ZBPPXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1206802324&sr=1-1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Cheers. I did actually download the versions that people had recorded off the BBC broadcast, but I guess the difference in recorded sound quality will be huge, so it's probably worth the price.
Geologist.