Which Jochum Brahms: DG (mono) or EMI (stereo) ?

Started by samtrb, November 24, 2007, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samtrb

I am listening to the brahms symphonies with jochum and the BPO recorded in mono in the the 50s... in general my favorites brahms are the  third and the fourth and on this record in particular, there is nothing to complain about... (i even prefer jochum 4th over kleiber... oups !)
The only problem in this set, if there should be one, would be the mono sound. That`s why i'd like to compare with the latter recordings with the LSO on EMI. I have only heard the third and fourth movements of the Third symphony and they are excellent, very dynamic (a fairly faster third movement) and colorful. The fourth symphony comes on another set. Any opinions?

Dancing Divertimentian

I haven't heard the DG set. But the (stereo) EMI set with symphonies 1-3 has been a part of my collection for eons (in another EMI edition).

Been a perennial front-runner.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

sidoze

Quote from: samtrb on November 24, 2007, 11:15:57 AM
(i even prefer jochum 4th over kleiber... oups !)

There's a live Jochum 4 on Operashare which is the best I've heard from him.

As for the two sets, I've only heard the DG and considered it my favourite overall set. Soft spot for Mravinsky though :)

amw

7 years later...

EMI - pros:
Sound is better
All repeats are taken

DG - pros:
Orchestra is better
Significantly easier to acquire due to 4 not being on a separate 2-disc set with a rather mediocre German Requiem

Interpretations: (this is obv subjective)
DG 1 - Highly dramatic & rhapsodic with great clarity, possibly the best from this set / EMI 1 - a little metronomic; warmer & more burnished, but also in places it shouldn't be; many great moments though
DG 2 - "Furtwänglerian", timpani!, fluid tempi, more raw and take-no-prisoners / EMI 2 - Faster 1st and 2nd mvts, slower finale; warmer and more "autumnal", slightly less high-energy
DG 3 - Jochum's strongest symphony; this is the more "romantic" interpretation / EMI 3 - faster, more urgent, with utmost intensity
DG 4 - not really fluid enough tempo-wise, & a bit too extroverted / EMI 4 - everything I want from a Brahms 4; almost perfect

I would probably go to DG for 1 & 2 and EMI for 3 & 4 (and the overtures).

selected highlights
DG - 1/i & iv, 2/iv, 3/iv
EMI - 2/i, 3/i, ii & iii, 4/i & iii

Any alternative opinions welcome.