The Five Pieces You Never Want To Hear Again!

Started by hornteacher, May 06, 2007, 06:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Gable

Utterly pointless citing non classical pieces – my list would overload the GMG server many times over! (Unless I'm mistaken, the OP probably intended this to be a classical only thread?)

The same could be said for the vast majority of 20thC composers and I've tried to omit modern stuff but the Ravel is such a hackneyed and irksome piece that I had to put it at its rightful place at no.1. There are many composers whose entire output I will never want to listen to – Britten's for example.

So, my classical equivalents to "Smoke on the Water" – the few pieces from within my own favourite time period that make me want to sharpen the axe!

Ravel – Bolero Seems to be on a lot of lists – I wonder how much T & D have to answer for in that regard?
Paganini - Caprice no. 24
Mozart - Serenade No. 13 "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"
Bizet - Carmen – "that " melody
Tchaikovsky – 1812 – if I hear those bloody canons one more time......

Within my comfort zone (1650 – 1920) there are very few pieces that I loathe to any great extent and it was rather challenging to compile a list of five.

Chaszz

1. Vivaldi's The Four Seasons
2. The Four Seasons, Vivaldi
3. Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
4. Vivaldi, Antonio: The Four Seasons
5. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
6. Vivaldi's The Four Seasons
7. Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Chrone

Quote from: Chaszz on March 30, 2008, 05:30:49 PM
1. Vivaldi's The Four Seasons
2. The Four Seasons, Vivaldi
3. Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
4. Vivaldi, Antonio: The Four Seasons
5. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
6. Vivaldi's The Four Seasons
7. Vivaldi - Four Seasons

It's safe to assume, then, that you never want to hear the first 4 concerti of Vivaldi's Opus 8 ("Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione") again?  ;D

ChamberNut

Quote from: vandermolen on March 30, 2008, 01:51:59 AM
Strauss "Ein Heldenleben" (sorry to Strauss fans)

*Ahem.  License and registration please.  $:)

Jay F

Quote from: mahlertitan on May 06, 2007, 11:46:29 AM
1. Beethoven's 5th symphony
2. Dvorak's 9th symphony
3. Tchaikovsky first piano concerto
4. Tchaikovsky violin concerto
5. 3 b's violin concerto, Brahms, Beethoven, Bruch
This is a good list. I don't want to hear any of these again, either. I don't know if any of these is top five, but today, I have no desire to hear any of these.

My classical dislikes comprise the things that fail to reach me rather than the things I absolutely hate (I absolutely hate rap and what is currently [mis]named R&B; I don't hate anything classical that way). Since we're talking things that don't pierce the music/brain layer, I don't know the exact names of most of the things I don't like.

My list of five has to include most symphonic music by Brahms, Mendelssohn, and others whose names now slip my mind. N.B.: I've tried it all at least a dozen times in the last 21 years; it's not a matter of not getting it. I just don't like it, and that's okay. Brahms' chamber music is a whole 'nother matter, BTW: I love it.

Wagner's entire oeuvre, or just the RING CYCLE if you're being picky, picky, picky.

Most opera, in fact, fails to entertain me. I can't think of anything that's not by Wagner that I truly detest, though. I wanted to like TOSCA and MANON LESCAULT more than I do. I really wanted to like TOSCA. But I'd sit through TOSCA ten times rather than listen to Wagner. Or rap. Or Rhythm and BooHoos (talk about dying sopranos). TOSCA doesn't go on this list, really. Instead, it's on my list of disappointments.

I guess this is more than five if you count each RING opera separately. I went and looked on my bookshelves, but there's nothing there I never want to hear again. I tend to edit things out I don't like, so this makes sense if you are me (yes, I know it should be "if you are I," but that just sounds awful--stupid, yet prissy).

Good enough?

Diletante

The only piece I'm really sick of is Für Elise. Hearing those first notes makes me cringe! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Orgullosamente diletante.

Lethevich

Quote from: tanuki on March 31, 2009, 09:47:54 AM
The only piece I'm really sick of is Für Elise. Hearing those first notes makes me cringe! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

:D I am the same with Für Alina - damn you cynical TV soundtrack people!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The new erato

Quote from: Great Gable on March 30, 2008, 10:26:44 AM

Tchaikovsky – 1812 – if I hear those bloody canons one more time......

Wasn't aware there was a canon in that? Overall, Tchaikovsky seemed to be more comfortable with cannons than with counterpoint.

snyprrr

1. classical music
2. romantic music
3. most of the 1920s
4. any tape, concrete, etc...
5. minimalism

6. polemic(sic?) music (music for the "workers", etc...)

7. "requiems for man", "requiems for the world" ,"brotherhood of man" syms.

I find that I have to keep REMINDING myself why I dislike certain pieces. Every 2 years or so I will go to the library and get "those" cds agains.  I must have a blissfully short memory!

Frumaster

With regard to Beethoven's 5th, which I have seen mentioned several times in thie thread, only the first movement has been beaten into th ground due to its popularity.  The following three movements are as fresh as any piece of classical music.  I don't see how you can throw out the whole symphony because of one part.  Of course if you're going to listen to any part of this symphony, its important to hear the first again just for proper context. 

ChamberNut

Quote from: Frumaster on April 01, 2009, 12:27:37 PM
With regard to Beethoven's 5th, which I have seen mentioned several times in thie thread, only the first movement has been beaten into th ground due to its popularity.   The following three movements are as fresh as any piece of classical music.  I don't see how you can throw out the whole symphony because of one part.  Of course if you're going to listen to any part of this symphony, its important to hear the first again just for proper context. 

Excellent point.  Personally for me, I think the other movements are more appealing than the famous 1st movement, but that is likely due to overhearing that movement.

Kullervo

greg

Quote from: snyprrr on April 01, 2009, 11:30:24 AM
1. classical music
2. romantic music
3. most of the 1920s
4. any tape, concrete, etc...
5. minimalism

6. polemic(sic?) music (music for the "workers", etc...)

7. "requiems for man", "requiems for the world" ,"brotherhood of man" syms.

I find that I have to keep REMINDING myself why I dislike certain pieces. Every 2 years or so I will go to the library and get "those" cds agains.  I must have a blissfully short memory!
You know that's nearly everything?.......

ChamberNut

Quote from: Bahamut on April 01, 2009, 01:28:15 PM
You know that's nearly everything?.......

I was wondering who would say it first.

jlaurson

An interesting exercise might be to take one of those "war-horse" pieces cited here and count how many times we've actually heard it in concert.

I bet some really interesting low numbers would pop up. Like only once before having heard LvB 5 in concert... or never Vivaldi's Four Seaons... only once the Brandenburg Concertos. And, unless you live in Cologne, only twice "Ein Heldenleben". {Those are not exactly my numbers, but they could be or might have been, a few years back. I'm still surprised going to some concerts moaning "AGAIN" when in fact I've only heard a piece a few times before, live.}

Is that the curse of recorded music?  ???

My piece, though, is Brian Ferneyhough's
Shadowtime

Wow. Ghastly, pompous, ugly, pretentious, and ultimately meaningless drivel.

(Ok... tell me how you really feel.  ;D )

bhodges

I am so happy someone else didn't care for Shadowtime.  As a sometime admirer of Ferneyhough (and a huge admirer of many of the performers, like Nic Hodges and those fab Stuttgart vocalists) I really wanted to like this, but found it absolutely impenetrable, not to mention about as dramatically inert as one could imagine.  Musically, much to enjoy, but not as "opera" (nor would I even bill it as such). 

Some of my "never again" pieces:

Bach: "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (except when appearing in the entire cantata)
Rhys Chatham: Two Gongs (the loudest piece I've ever heard, and not uninteresting, but no, not again)
Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (bits and pieces, OK, but not the whole ballet please)
Wagner: Die Meistersinger (and especially that annoying Act II  >:D)
Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 (weird, since I love the composer, but somehow this symphony drives me nuts)

--Bruce

Kullervo

Quote from: bhodges on April 01, 2009, 02:19:38 PM
Rhys Chatham: Two Gongs (the loudest piece I've ever heard, and not uninteresting, but no, not again)

I don't see how Chatham is considered classical anyway. It just sounds like Sonic Youth, but not as interesting.

hornteacher

Quote from: bhodges on April 01, 2009, 02:19:38 PM
Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 (weird, since I love the composer, but somehow this symphony drives me nuts)

GASP!   :o

Medical help is on the way.......

Superhorn

My Choices for what I never want to hear again:

Vivaldi :  The  Four  Seasons.

Vivaldi : The Four Seasons

Vivaldi:  The  Four  Seasons.

;D   ::)   ::) :P   

Superhorn

Oops !  Somebody beat me in saying the Four Seasons !

:-[     :-[      :-[       :-[