What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Time for some Bloch...

[asin]B000VIFLZA[/asin]

Listening to the Violin Concerto. A fine work.

Conor71

Koechlin: The Jungle Book

First listen of this newly arrived Disc - reaching the end of the First Disc now: so far, so good :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2011, 01:26:16 PM
Koechlin: The Jungle Book

First listen of this newly arrived Disc - reaching the end of the First Disc now: so far, so good :)

The music of Charles Koechlin is subtly beautiful I think. There are some pretty gutsy, edgy moments in his music, but it seems to always return to those lush, harmonically ambiguous textures. It may require you to listen to it many times before a lightbulb goes off and really impacts you, but once his music touches you, you've found a new obsession.

By the way, I'm glad you're enjoying the music.

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2011, 01:40:36 PM
The music of Charles Koechlin is subtly beautiful I think. There are some pretty gutsy, edgy moments in his music, but it seems to always return to those lush, harmonically ambiguous textures. It may require you to listen to it many times before a lightbulb goes off and really impacts you, but once his music touches you, you've found a new obsession.

By the way, I'm glad you're enjoying the music.

Thanks MI, Im on the second Disc of the set now and enjoying it quite a bit - very pretty :).
Some of the Music in the Spring Running section reminded me a bit of Messiaen! - Do you know if these 2 Composers share a common teacher?

Antoine Marchand

A beautiful disc of sonatas for recorder & basso continuo by an almost unknown Roberto Valentini.

[asin]B000MTEGL8[/asin]

The music is lively, beautiful and varied; all in all, a worth addition to any discography.

Curiously, the reviewers and even the Ramée website itself omit to indicate that two different harpsichords are used in the continuo (together with the cello): (1) a harpsichord Matthias Griewisch, Bammental, 1996 after Aelpidio Gregori, c. 1700 and (2) a gut-stringed harpsichord Christian Fuchs, Frankfurt-Höscht. The name "gut-stringed harpsichord" is quite weird, but I supposse it's used because a name as "lute-harpsichord" or "lautenwerck" could be a bit misleading, as the instrument doesn't sound too much as lute, but maybe more as a guitar. Very nice, indeed!

Review on MusicWeb International

Ramée website

:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2011, 01:52:46 PM

Thanks MI, Im on the second Disc of the set now and enjoying it quite a bit - very pretty :).
Some of the Music in the Spring Running section reminded me a bit of Messiaen! - Do you know if these 2 Composers share a common teacher?

For one thing, both composers share a big age difference, Koechlin was born in 1867 and Messiaen was born in 1908. Koechlin was taught by Jules Massenet and a little bit later by Gabriel Faure who proved to be an influence on his music. Messiaen, on the other hand, was taught by Widor, Dukas, and Dupre.

Both composers obviously used the ondes martenot and to great effect. Koechlin's usage of this instrument to my ears is much more subdued with the exception of a few musical passages. He used it mainly as coloristic instrument whereas Messiaen used it more upfront.

prémont

Quote from: toñito on July 25, 2011, 02:01:36 PM

Ramée website

Thanks for the recommendation, Toñito.

NB! Upcoming release: Art of Fugue - Leon Berben.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: toñito on July 25, 2011, 10:18:40 AM
Did you listen to Jory Vinikour, Don? Do you have any opinion?

This is in my rather big CDs to be listened to pile.

PS: BTW. have you received the Klinkhammer WTC Book I?
I have not yet received Book II.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 - T3 and T4 from the following set for a first listen ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2011, 02:36:40 PM
NB! Upcoming release: Art of Fugue - Leon Berben.

Your "AoF-detector" is infallible.  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2011, 02:39:26 PM
This is in my rather big CDs to be listened to pile.

(Vinikour) I ordered a copy from Amazon, but it has not arrived yet.

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2011, 02:39:26 PM
BTW. have you received the Klinkhammer WTC Book I?
I have not yet received Book II.

No, I have not received it yet. Anyway, after your lapidary comment about Bk. 1, I didn't try to get the second book.

Mn Dave

.[asin]B002MT3BIU[/asin]

On Spotify.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Leon on July 25, 2011, 03:50:48 PM
Disc 1 - Mozart Divertimento in E flat, K. 563 & Quartet in F major, K. 370 from this excellent set (recommended by toñito) - that just arrived today:

Hi, Leon, as you mentioned this Mozart set, I recalled an excellent 2-CD set with Beethoven's Op. 18, also performed by the Smithsonians. I have those string quartets on DHM, but Amazon shows this very attractive (and enlarged) set:

It would include the entire opus 18, three symphonies and two sonatas for violin and fortepiano, if we believe the info provided by Amazon. An AMP seller offers this set "used like new" for $9.88!  :o

P.S.: I forgot the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00008FRF1/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1311638746&sr=1-1&condition=used

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Piano Concerto No. 2. This is one of those desert island Bartok recordings for me.

Brahmsian

Sarge Alert!!

We seriously need an update as to what is going on in the Wand/Karajan Bruckner cycle death match.   8)

Well, I, at least, need an update.  :-[

Bulldog

Quote from: toñito on July 25, 2011, 10:18:40 AM
Did you listen to Jory Vinikour, Don? Do you have any opinion?

It's been a few years since I last heard Vinikour's Goldbergs, but I remember two things about it.  First, his 25th Variation "Black Pearl" is outstanding.  Second, nothing else about the recording impressed me much.  I should give it another spin to give myself an update.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on July 25, 2011, 04:40:52 PM
It's been a few years since I last heard Vinikour's Goldbergs, but I remember two things about it.  First, his 25th Variation "Black Pearl" is outstanding.  Second, nothing else about the recording impressed me much.  I should give it another spin to give myself an update.

I see. I only listened to some excerpts, but the impression was very good. I hope I will receive my set very soon from Amazon. My only experience with him was a very well done set of Bach's flute sonatas, but the nature of this music is different.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 25, 2011, 04:39:42 PM
Sarge Alert!!

We seriously need an update as to what is going on in the Wand/Karajan Bruckner cycle death match.   8)

Well, I, at least, need an update.  :-[

The deathmatch was postponed for personal reasons. I'll try to reschedule this week.

Listening now...just to cheer me up  ;D Shosty's 14th, Barshai conducting.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 25, 2011, 04:51:19 PM

Listening now...just to cheer me up  ;D Shosty's 14th, Barshai conducting.

Sarge

Just listened to this yesterday (same recording too).  Great piece!  8)

Sadko

Verdi: La Traviata (Kleiber)

[asin]B000SSPL44[/asin]

... but to the old CDs which I bought when it came out newly.

My, this new packaging above is now available for only £8.99.