Author Topic: Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)  (Read 87123 times)

Offline Josquin13

Re: Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)
« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2018, 05:35:49 AM »
Milk writes, "I will check out Frey. I like the Plectrum in addition to Cuiller, Dantone, Sponseller and Beatrice Martin. E.T.A.: Fray is compelling stuff! thanks!!!"

You're most welcome.  Yes, I can't imagine any Bach lover not enjoying Fray's CD.  He's very gifted.

I'm pleased to hear that you already know and like the Plectrum set (not everyone knows about it).  Sponseller and Beatrice Martin are new names to me. I'll check them out, thanks.  I share your enthusiasm for Cuiller and Dantone, though I slightly prefer Cuiller here.  I considered mentioning him, but was trying to limit my choices (otherwise I would have).  Another single CD recording of the concertos that I've liked is the one from Pierre Hantai and Le Concert Français (with François Fernandez on violin), on Naive:

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Concerti-pour-clavecin-1044/dp/B0000DETBH/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525787629&sr=1-3&keywords=Pierre+hantai+bach+concertos

https://www.amazon.com/Goldberg-Variations-Concertos-J-S-BACH/dp/B002NVLXBO/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525787629&sr=1-7&keywords=Pierre+hantai+bach+concertos

Or, the original issue (same program as above):

If you (or anyone else) is interested in sampling further, the 3 volume set by harpsichordist Lars-Ulrik Mortensen and Concerto Copenhagen (on CPO) is worth considering too.  There's also Bob Van Asperen's set with Melante Amsterdam (& Gustav Leonhardt).

Among recordings that I don't know, I've read positive reviews for harpsichordist Andras Staier's survey with the Freiburger Barockorchester, as well as Aapo Häkkinen's set with the Helsinki Baroque Orchestra, which Mandryka mentions (& which I hope to hear at some point).

But it sounds like you're presently more interested in exploring piano recordings of these works.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:56:00 PM by Josquin13 »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #601 on: May 08, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »
Milk writes, "I will check out Frey. I like the Plectrum in addition to Cuiller, Dantone, Sponseller and Beatrice Martin. E.T.A.: Fray is compelling stuff! thanks!!!"

You're most welcome.  Yes, I can't imagine any Bach lover not enjoying Fray's CD.  He's very gifted.

I'm pleased to hear that you already know and like the Plectrum set (not everyone knows about it).  Sponseller and Beatrice Martin are new names to me. I'll check them out, thanks.  I share your enthusiasm for Cuiller and Dantone, though I slightly prefer Cuiller here.  I considered mentioning him, but was trying to limit my choices (otherwise I would have).  Another single CD recording of the concertos that I've liked is the one from Pierre Hantai and Le Concert Français (with François Fernandez on violin), on Naive:

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Concerti-pour-clavecin-1044/dp/B0000DETBH/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525787629&sr=1-3&keywords=Pierre+hantai+bach+concertos

https://www.amazon.com/Goldberg-Variations-Concertos-J-S-BACH/dp/B002NVLXBO/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525787629&sr=1-7&keywords=Pierre+hantai+bach+concertos

Or, the original issue (same program as above):

If you (or anyone else) is interested in sampling further, the 3 volume set by harpsichordist Lars-Ulrik Mortensen and Concerto Copenhagen (on CPO) is worth considering too.  There's also Bob Van Asperen's set with Melante Amsterdam (& Gustav Leonhardt).

Among recordings that I don't know, I've read positive reviews for harpsichordist Andras Staier's survey with the Freiburger Barockorchester, as well as Aapo Häkkinen's set with the Helsinki Baroque Orchestra, which Mandryka mentions (& which I hope to hear at some point).

But it sounds like you're presently more interested in exploring piano recordings of these works.
Häkkinen is good.
I might check out the Hantai for 1044. BTW: have you or anyone ever heard this (w/zvi meniker on fortepiano for 1044):

? It’s interesting. Maybe the only fortepiano recording of a Bach concerto. It works well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:41:40 PM by milk »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #602 on: May 09, 2018, 08:40:40 PM »
Fray is definitely the tops for me now for piano. Tharaud is interesting though because I think he's mixing with a period group here if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Josquin13

« Reply #603 on: May 14, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
Milk--No, I've not heard the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin disc, sorry.  I tend to find them hit and miss, very good players, but sometimes their quick tempi are too breathless and quirky, for me.

Les Violins du Roy play on modern instruments, but according to current HIP practices (in so far as that can be accomplished on present day instruments).  I've not heard their recordings with Tharaud, but can find him on the cool side, unlike Fray.  Glad to hear you're enjoying Fray.

Of interest--Fabio Bonizzoni and La Risonanza have just released Volume 1 of a new Bach Harpsichord Concerto cycle, on hybrid SACD.  They wisely (& appropriately) use only one player to a part (for a total of five musicians plus the harpsichordist)--so the project sounds promising.  I've liked Bonizzoni's solo Bach playing in the past--of the Goldberg Variations & Art of the Fugue.  (He plays Scarlatti well too.)  I'll be buying this one.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12954#reviews

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:36:37 AM by Josquin13 »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #604 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:50 AM »
Milk--No, I've not heard the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin disc, sorry.  I tend to find them hit and miss, very good players, but sometimes their quick tempi are too breathless and quirky, for me.

Les Violins du Roy play on modern instruments, but according to current HIP practices (in so far as that can be accomplished on present day instruments).  I've not heard their recordings with Tharaud, but can find him on the cool side, unlike Fray.  Glad to hear you're enjoying Fray.

Of interest--Fabio Bonizzoni and La Risonanza have just released Volume 1 of a new Bach Harpsichord Concerto cycle, on hybrid SACD.  They wisely (& appropriately) use only one player to a part (for a total of five musicians plus the harpsichordist)--so the project sounds promising.  I've liked Bonizzoni's solo Bach playing in the past--of the Goldberg Variations & Art of the Fugue.  (He plays Scarlatti well too.)  I'll be buying this one.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12954#reviews

For Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin I can't say I'm a big fan but the novelty of hearing fortepiano on 1044 is something. Bonizzoni looks good although I have so many nice HIP ones already.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #605 on: May 17, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
plus two more volumes

The sound quality of these  recordings  from Hakkinen (helped out by Hantai) is wonderful.

16' harpsichord, 1 to a part ensemble.

971 (sounding very good to me!) and 1057, but no 1049!
Listening to this today. I also quite like this. Great balance and juicy instrument.