GMG Classical Music Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:33:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New recordings you'd like to see made  (Read 8148 times)
Daverz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »

Complete symphonies and string quartets of Weinberg.  I don't think Chandos is going to be able to do it on their own. 

Complete symphonies and string quartets of Miaskovsky (or an accessible reissue of the Svetlanov recordings and the Olympia string quartet recordings, but duplication in this repetoire wouldn't be a bad thing.)

I'd like to see some new recordings of Roger Sessions symphonies.

Lilas Pastia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »

Some interesting Vainberg (Weinberg) chamber music available on cd: Piano Trio, Violin sonatas 3 and 4. The symphonies have been started by both Olympia and chandos, but I don't think Olympia completed its cycle, and Chandos is barely starting theirs.

I don't think there's a complete Tournemire L'orgue Mystique, only portions of it here and there.

The complete (17 or 18?) Milhaud quartets have been recorded, but they're never available Tongue.
Que

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 04:37:58 PM »

Complete Schubert piano solo works by Andreas Staier
(He could add the four handed repertoire (with Schornsheim) if he likes!  Grin)

Q

Ŕ chacun son goűt.
RebLem
http://groups.msn.com/RebLemsRoundTable

RebLem = Rebel Lemming

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »

Ok, what I did was go through the whole thread, copy comments I thought interesting into word, print them, and then come back here to use them as an aid before explicating my own original ideas.

I second Sean's motion for a complete survey of Wagner's non-operas and non-music dramas.  I know facehugger's request for a new Beethoven Sym cycle was tongue in cheek, but my specific requests in this area are not--first, I wish Osmo Vanska would quit dawdling and get on with completing his cycle and getting out a box of all of them.  Secondly, sometime in the 80's, I think, Ferdinand Leitner did a wonderful cycle in concert with the Boston Symphony, and I wish some record company would issue it.  Thirdly, there is a Dorati DGG set with the Royal Phil from the 70's, I think, that I love and would like to see in a CD box.

I also like pjme's idea of getting European national radio systems to go systematically through their archives and issue worthy stuff.  His specific mention of Danish radio set my mouth to watering--all those wonderful Mogens Woldike and Nicolai Malko recordings would be wonderful. 

I have never heard of any of the Belgian composers pjme mentioned, butg if Lodewijk De Vocht was championed by Milhaud & Honegger, two of my favorite 20th century composers, that's enough for me to be intgrigued.

I like Gurn's idea for a Castelnuovo-Tedesco violin concerti set, but why not a survey of his complete works, too, or at least someone with a sensitive ear going through the works systematically and making worthy selections.

I like Daverz's idea for complete syms and SQs of Vainberg aka Weinberg and Miaskovsky, but I have to tell you I pretty much avoid Svatlanov recordings like the plague.  His string tone is brittle and unyielding, andI really detest most of his work.

Now for a few ideas of my own--and some of these are from radio archives.  First, the CSO.  Sometime in the 1970's, I think, Andre Previn conducted the CSO in the Beethoven Emperor Concerto with Michelangeli.  It is by far the best performance of the work I have ever heard (I heard the tape, not the actual concert), and I would like to see it issued. 

Secondly, believe it or not, in his brief tenure as MD, Jean Martinon conducted, I believe, more performances of Bach Cantatas than all CSO MDs and guest conductors before and since combined.  I'd like to see a big box of them.  He really put Margaret Hillis to work, and a good thing, too, because she was a great and wonderful musician and if there is any justice in the hereafter, some people ought to be called to account for not having offered her a major music directorship simply, in my view, because of her sex. 

And whever it was who wanted a complete Havergal Brian symphony cycle--I do, too.  Sounds like a project for Brilliant.  Get the ones already done, and get somebody to do the others--they do this kind of completion project very well; its something of a specialty of theirs.

A few conductors (Klaus Tennstedt, for one) seem to conduct things the same way every time; others do not, and I have been to and have heard on record radically different performances from various conductors, particularly Giulini and Kubelik.  I attended a Giulini CSO concert where he conducted Mussorgsky's Pictures a week, I think, before they recorded it together.  The recording was very good; the concert, IMO, was even better.  For me, the touchstone of this work is the Ballad of the Little Chicks in their Shells--I want it to sound onomatopoeic.  In the concert, it did; in the recording, it didn't.  So, I'd like to see a recording patched together from his several concert performances of the work with the CSO. 

And Kubelik.  I went to a CSO concert once in the 70's (?) where he did the best performance of the Brahms 4th I have ever heard anywhere in concert or on CD.  I eagerly went out and bought his CD set of the Brahms syms with the BRSO when it came out, and was sorely disappointed.  It was nowhere near as good.  The live performance was one of those experiences where I found myself sucking in huge gulps of air between movements because I had kept my air intake during the performance to a minimum so as not to distort my perception of the music.  Not consciously, mind you, just something I realized I had done at the end of the first movement, and continued to do throughout the performance.

Back when he was musical advisor to the Cleveland Orch., Pierre Boulez did a wonderful cycle of the Schubert Symphonies in concert with them that I would like to see released in a CD box.  And Leinsdorf did a number of performances with them of Mozart symphonies that I thought were both better than Leinsdorf's own with the BSO and Szell's.  What I think happened was that the Clevelanders played them the way Szell had taught them, except for the special insights which Leinsdorf brought to them, making for, IMO, very special experiences.  I 'd like to see those perfs released on CD.

There is also, believe it or not, a concert tape around which I heard broadcast of a Detroit Symphony performance of Strauss's 4 Last Songs conducted by Gunter Herbig and sung by Jessye Norman.  Much better than Norman's recording with Masur and the Gewandhaus, and, in fact, IMO, better than any other performance I have heard from anyone.  Needless to say, I want it on CD. 

Naxos said a while back they were going to do a complete John Phillip Sousa.  They did 5 CDS of marches and suites with Brion and the Royal Artillery Band, 4 of which were excellent, and then---what?  Has this project petered out, or is it still in progress?  In any event, I would like to hear complete recordings of all his operettas.

I would like to see someone do the complete non-film music of Miklos Rozsa.  cpo, actually, seems to be well on its way with this; does anyone know if they have plans for more?

Oh, and back in the LP era, Vox did a set of the complete chamber music of Zoltan Kodaly with, mostly, Chicago Sym musicians.  The box I had was horrible--performances were excellent, but production values sucked.  All kinds of zips and electronic noises opn it.  If it can be cleaned up, it should be, and if not, someone should re-record this repertoire and release a big box.

I have this old Capitol LP in glorious monaural sound from the 50's of the greatest performance I have ever heard of the complete Sibelius Legends of Lemminkainen, Op 22 with Sixten Ehrling conducting the Radio Stockholm Sym Orch--I want it on CD.

I also want to ask for EMI to release on CD the great Perlman/Previn/LSO collaboration on the Bartok VC 2.  But they will probably release it as 1 CD in a 10 CD box with other things I already have on CD, so maybe I shouldn't even ask.

I would like to see a reissue of the only set, or a new set, of the 6 Stenhammar string quartets, one of most unjustly neglected cycles of great works ever composed.

Another project Naxos has announced and gotten underway with is what is to be an allegedly complete Henry Cowell cycle. I would like to see them get around to a complete cycle of the Hymn and Fuguing Tunes sometime soon--and not spread over a whole bunch of records with lots of other things, either, but all together.

"Don't drink and drive.  You might spill it."--J Eugene Baker, aka my late father.
"The trouble with you French is you don't have a word for entrepreneur."--GWB to Jacques Chirac at the St Petersburg G8 summit.
Que

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »

Beethoven's Early and Middle String Quartets by the Busch Quartet....do they exist?

Bill, unfortunately not.
But I'll bet you haven't got this yet!  Smiley
(These quartets were not recorded for HMV but Columbia)

Programme and Recording details:
Beethoven String Quartet No.7 in F, op.59 no.1 (rec 1942)
Beethoven String Quartet No.8 in E minor, op.59 no.2 (rec 1941) - first time on CD

When the Second World War broke out, the Busch Quartet was the most highly regarded chamber ensemble in Europe, with more than a quarter of a century's experience. It was, however, relatively unknown in the United States, where it had made only a few appearances. Its leader Adolf Busch (1891-1952), Europe's busiest solo violinist, who had already repudiated both his native Germany and Italy for political reasons, no longer felt at ease even in Switzerland, his home since 1927 and therefore emigrated to America. With their leader in America, the other members of the quartet (including Busch's younger brother Herman) decided to follow him. Columbia Records, who were trying to dent Victor's virtual monopoly of the classical record industry, offered a contract - producer Moses Smith wanted the Busch Quartet to set down all the Beethoven works it had not already done for HMV. Then, at the end of 1940, Busch suffered a major heart attack.  The other three men had to take orchestral jobs while he recuperated.

By May 1941 he felt well enough to record; and so, on the 28th, the four men gathered at Liederkranz Hall, New York, for their first studio sessions for more than two years. Their initial assignment was Beethoven's "Razumovsky" in E minor, Op. 59 No. 2.  They made the finest-ever recording of the slow movement and played up to their usual standard in the other three movements.

Unfortunately, before the set could be issued, Victor came out with a version of the work by the Coolidge Quartet; and so the Busch version was put on the shelf. Once America came into the war, after Pearl Harbour, shellac for making pressings was in short supply.  Somehow, this beautiful recording of the "Second Razumovsky" never got issued until the present writer alerted the Japanese affiliate of Columbia to its existence. It now appears on CD for the first time. No such problems existed with the "First Razumovsky" in F, Op. 59 No. 1, which was recorded exactly a year after the E minor, on 15 and 25 May 1942. This recording had a good run on 78 rpm discs, then appeared in several LP editions and finally on CD. Among other recordings made by the most famous line-up of the Busch Quartet for Columbia was the Beethoven B-flat, Op. 130.

Q

Ŕ chacun son goűt.
Sean

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

Great post RebLem.
MrOsa

Rosa, Nov. 2006

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »

Actually, I wouldn't mind if someone (Naxos? Brilliant?) got hold of the entire Olympia catalogue and started reissuing... Most of the Polish stuff they released was licensed from Polskie Nagrania but I wouldn't count on that company ever releasing anything interesting by themselves. Tongue

Maciek
erato

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »

Re: NON-FILM MUSIC OF Rózsa

(snagged From the Naxos website)

Miklós Rózsa’s Violin Concerto recorded in Moscow

Miklós Rózsa’s Violin Concerto, Op. 24, featuring violinist Anastasia Khitruk, and Sinfonia Concertante, Op. 29, featuring Ms. Khitruk and cellist Andrey Tchekmazov, were recorded between March 6th and 11th, 2007, at the Russian State TV & Radio Company Kultura - Studio 5 in Moscow, Russia, with Dmitry Yablonsky conducting the Russian Philharmonic Orchestra. The sessions were engineered by Aleksandr Karasev and produced by Lubov Doronina.

This endeavour is part of the Miklós Rózsa’s Centenary Project, dedicated to renewing interest and attention in the classical compositions of Rósza, with more recordings and performances of his works planned for 2007, the centenary of his birth.
val

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »

The two Symphonies of Bontempo in a better version than those of Cassutto or Scimone. Rene Jacobs, for example.
erato

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »

I wish Nonesuch would contnue their brilliant series of reconstructed Gershwin musicals, and that Decca would continue their Entartete Musik series (and reissue existing recordings at low price) - two of the most unmissable series of recent years, and both abandoned long before they should have been...
premont

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »

I would welcome a recording of Jehan Titelouze´s complete organ music played by Xavier Darasse, but since he (Darasse) since long has left us for go(o)d , the second-best choice must be Francis Chapelet.
O Mensch

Steh auf, erheitre dich!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »

Now for a few ideas of my own--and some of these are from radio archives.  First, the CSO.  Sometime in the 1970's, I think, Andre Previn conducted the CSO in the Beethoven Emperor Concerto with Michelangeli.  It is by far the best performance of the work I have ever heard (I heard the tape, not the actual concert), and I would like to see it issued. 

Dude!  Shocked That sounds awesome! I checked the online catalog of the Rosenthal archives. Indeed it lists a January 1966 performance of the Emperor with Previn and Michelangeli.
MrOsa

Rosa, Nov. 2006

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 04:37:35 AM »

Another thought:

Zimerman - Rachmaninoff (the rest of the PCs)

Zimerman - Prokofiev (at least no. 2)
Luftpiano

La vision s'est rencontrée ŕ tous les airs

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »

Complete symphonies and string quartets of Weinberg.  I don't think Chandos is going to be able to do it on their own. 

Complete symphonies and string quartets of Miaskovsky (or an accessible reissue of the Svetlanov recordings and the Olympia string quartet recordings, but duplication in this repetoire wouldn't be a bad thing.)

I'd like to see some new recordings of Roger Sessions symphonies.

I agree for all these, except that BMG has begun to reissue the Symphonies in their Svetlanov complete edition. We badly need a complete and accurate set of Sessions' nine symphonies (maybe on cpo). And, with Maciek, I wonder what is the matter with Zimerman delaying for ever his Szymanowski album. May I suggest these recordings ?

- the opera Montezuma by Roger Sessions.
- The remaining symphonies and concertos of Kenneth Leighton.
- A decent production of Promethée from Fauré.

ragman70

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »

New recording with Vadim Repin is my most wanted!  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: