GMG Classical Music Forum
December 19, 2014, 05:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New recordings you'd like to see made  (Read 8398 times)
O Mensch

Steh auf, erheitre dich!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:17 AM »

Oh yes, while we're at it: Ivan Moravec recording anything that he hasn't recorded yet.
pjme

Shepherd - 1910

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:55 AM »

This is one of those questions that make our (musical) hearts bleed. We all  have our preferences & dislikes and hope that some recordcompany "discovers" those very special composers.
sean, I would like to see a comlete Wagner ( and Mozart,Verdi...) operaset of DVD's "as he imagined "them himself - as some kind of reference. I have no problem with abstract- or late 19th century Wagner or Aida clad in a rock&roll gown, but would definitely like to see & hear it with all the original trimmings...

National radiostations could do much more in uncovering& promoting their archives or- as in Denmark,Great Britain & Finland- just be proud of their heritage. A museum of sound, easily (and handsomely) presented. It just might work as antidote to overconsumption of Karajan, Beethoven, Bartoli etc.

Peter

PS : Belgian composers deserving a CD : Albert Huybrechts (1899-1932)- lovely ,late impressionism
Raymond Chevreuille ( 1901-1976) a great mix of French charm & stravinskian spikiness..
Lodewijk De Vocht : championed & conducted Honegger and Milhaud in the 1920-1930 ies ,wrote however extremely lovely ( tonal) musiv . His choral symphony (1935- vocalising chorus & large orchestra) is some kind of "Art deco" paean...

PefectWagnerite

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »

I wouldn't mind a Ring Cycle with Placido Domingo singing Siegfried. It would have to be a studio recordings since there is no way he has enough stamina to sing it on stage. This would probabaly complete Domingo's traversal of Wagner heldentenor roles.

I would also like to have a Havergal Brian cycle. Marco Polo seemed to have abandoned this guy after two or three CDs.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »

Oh yes, while we're at it: Ivan Moravec recording anything that he hasn't recorded yet.

Nice call.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:E4HbwaVn_caT4M:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/baseball/mlb/logos/30/col.30.gif[img]
James

Music is the only religion that delivers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »

i wish boulez would/could record some of stravinsky's 3rd period stuff...it's some of his best!

and maybe a disc of pollini performing liszt's 12 transcendental studies, perhaps years of pilgrimage too.

The aim of music is not to express feelings but to express music. It is not a vessel into which the composer distills his soul drop by drop, but a labyrinth with no beginning and no end, full of new paths to discover, where mystery remains eternal. - Pierre Boulez
Don

Brush me already!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »

Robert Hill and Pierre Hantaï recording Bach´s English suites and Partitas.

The above would be great.  I'd also like to see David Cates record them as well.  His set of the French Suites is as good as it gets.
MrOsa

Rosa, Nov. 2006

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »

Zimerman - Szymanowski
Gurn_Blanston
"There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action." Bertrand Russell

Totally HIP Mozart!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »

I would very much like to have a recording of the violin concertos of Castelnuovo-Tedesco. Heifetz did one of them (but try and find it) and the other one is unrecorded, AFAIK. They have been played in concert though and are reputedly excellent. Undecided

Cool

Regards,
Gurn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Actually it is Gottlieb Uwe Reinwald Nepomuk Blanston, but you can call me Gurn!   Cool
Holden Fourth

The perfect role model for a perfect world

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 09:59:33 AM »

Marc-Andre Hamelin playing the Op 10 and Op 25 Etudes and also the Liszt Transcendental Etudes.

ciao

Holden
MahlerTitan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »

Robert Fuchs's first symphony, really good stuff.

Sapere Aude
hornteacher

Will you marry me Hilary Hahn?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »

Hilary Hahn needs to record the violin concertos by Dvorak and Tchaikovsky!

Also Martin Frost needs to record the Brahms Clarinet Quintet.

"Mozart was a bust." - Victor Borge
"That's Brahms!  BRAHMS' THIRD RACKET!!!" - Basil Fawlty
Lyric Suite

- Opus131

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

The posthumous Book of Madrigali a 6 voci by Don Carlo Gesualdo, by anybody. A complete Josquin edition would also be nice...

“In the fight between you and the world, back the world” - Franz Kafka

“Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind” - Johannes Brahms
Lilas Pastia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »

This is one of those questions that make our (musical) hearts bleed. We all  have our preferences & dislikes and hope that some record company "discovers" those very special composers.

PS : Belgian composers deserving a CD : Albert Huybrechts (1899-1932)- lovely ,late impressionism
Raymond Chevreuille ( 1901-1976) a great mix of French charm & stravinskian spikiness..
Lodewijk De Vocht : championed & conducted Honegger and Milhaud in the 1920-1930 ies ,wrote however extremely lovely ( tonal) musiv . His choral symphony (1935- vocalising chorus & large orchestra) is some kind of "Art deco" paean...

I agree! There's not a lot of belgian composers' works on record. A couple of nice discs on the Discover label, but precious little sense of the bigger picture. Lekeu was a genius whose work is still discovered piecemeal.

Among the most egregious blind spots in today's discography: the spanish or iberic-influenced music of 1750-1800. There's still lots of music to be recorded by Scarlatti and Soler, for example, even though these two are generally thought to be quite well covered on records.
O Mensch

Steh auf, erheitre dich!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »

Hilary Hahn needs to record the violin concertos by Dvorak and Tchaikovsky!

I don't know whether I care about the Dvorak, though I would probably buy anything she records. I would like to seee a recording of hers of the Mozart and Goldmark concerti. I have heard her play those live and they were superb. What i would kill for is her playing the Brahms sonatas. I heard some of those live with her as well.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

Beethoven's Early and Middle String Quartets by the Busch Quartet....do they exist?

Also, did Serkin complete all of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas?  I thought there were a handful missing.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:E4HbwaVn_caT4M:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/baseball/mlb/logos/30/col.30.gif[img]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: