GMG Classical Music Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: teenagers and their hate for classical music  (Read 14270 times)
bonehelm

I would be a llama

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »

Hmm where do I start...

everybody knows all teenagers care when it comes to music, is pop and rock... they say classical music is "boring because it always sound the same and it has no rhythm and its too gentle and quiet and not exciting".

They refer to every single piece of music as a "song" simply because they are too ignorant to understand more terminologies such as "symphony", "sonata", "overture", etc.

I've always tried to tell my friends that pop/rock music has VERY little to no structure and its lyrics are usually about things like drugs,love,sex etc, often with some unnecessary profanity. How could one even compare those crap with over 800 years of well-developed, ARTISTIC classical music (if you count medieval music, that is)? Classical music's purpose and message is way healthier and deeper to say the least. Have you ever heard the acclaimed metal band "Linkin park"s songs? All they do is yell like chickens and growl like a bunch of orcs. Well I guess they aren't THAT bad, at least they don't use the F word 3 times every line like some Rap music, which is another popular genre around teenagers and brainless, distasteful "music" listeners.

Maybe metal music and rock music sound "cool"? I don't know, but 99% teenagers think a muscular man with black leather jackets and ripped jeans and curly, long hair holding a Gibson SG and swinging their heads back and forth look cooler than a 70 year old man holding a chopstick in front of some 80 people and swaying his arse. They just don't think Mozart, Beethoven is music at all.

I've suggested them to listen to "easy, newbie friendly" classical music such as Four seasons...but they just got bored. I guess they just can't appreciate the beauty inside an orchestral piece.

One more thing that gets on my nerves, they think whoever plays/studies piano looks like a "nerd". So in order to be "cool", you must either be

A) a drummer
B) a guitarist
C) a rapper

This is a rant I know, I just want some opinions on teenagers and their viewpoints on classical music.

P.S. I'm a teenager and I've been listening to classical music for 7 years and I hold some Canada RCM diplomas.
The Mad Hatter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

Try them with some easier stuff. Carnival of the Animals, or Tchaikovsky. If they want exciting, give them Shostakovich and Mahler. Try some of Stravinsky's edgier-sounding stuff.

Give them time. Some of them will grow into it, some won't. I don't really see any harm either way.
otterhouse

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:24:48 PM »

Hi all.

I am a researcher sound design, and currently trying to get my PhD.
One of the things I found out is that 80% of the general audience is recognizing and categorizing music by it's timbre, rather then by rhythm or melody! 40 years ago this was totally different. The influence of popmusic, to my opinion, is the dominance of "sound". You are not talking about the chord progressions to describe bands like u2, Abba or the bloc party, but their "sound".

People who  like popmusic and not classical say that a Mozart sting quartet sounds the same for 30 minutes..... and they are right!
People who like classical and not popmusic say most popmusic is built around a few chords..... and they are right!

Rolf
xanadudldu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:58:51 PM »

Thinking of it as teenagers vs. classical music doesn't characterize it in a very useful way. Teenagers tend to "hate" music that they don't want to be identified with.

Some love country and hate rap, classical, heavy metal;
others love rap, hate classical, country, emo;
others love classical, hate rap, country, new age ...

When I was a teenager, I loved rock, r&b, most country, hated Elvis, big band and easy listening, and was indifferent to classical music, which was outside of my experience.

-xanadudldu

Agapopmemeyenon
The Emperor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:16 PM »

bonehelm i'm affraid you are doing the same thing, those youngsters that hate classical music do.
Sure linkin park sucks, but there are metal bands in the world with complex, rhytmic, tecnical passages that are challenging.

Metal in my case was what got me into Classical music in the first place, and a lot of "metalheads" love Classical music. Same about rock.
You are talking about comercial rock and metal of course, and i think youngsters have to start somewhere.

If they really love music, they will search more meaningful and deeper music in the styles they already know, and they may actually end up listening to Classical.
It has happened to me and some of my friends that love metal (there is lots of classical influences metal bands), rock, etc. Even in this board, i think Haffner is another one here that loves metal and loves classical music, just like me.

Give them time, they are young, they want to be cool and have all those kiddy issues, but if they really love music, they will get over that with time and search music that really means something for them.

Silence is the pause in me when I am near to God.
The Mad Hatter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:30:14 AM »

People who like classical and not popmusic say most popmusic is built around a few chords..... and they are right!

Tell that to Radiohead...
xanadudldu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:57 AM »

Or Steely Dan, or Burt Bacharach, or Sting, or Joni Mitchell, or Jimmy Webb, or Zappa, or....

In one of those books I read as a teenager about how communism had infiltrated rock music, "Rhythm, Riots, and Revolution," David Noebel pointed to the sophisticated harmonies of the Beatles as evidence that communists had commandeered their music to make it more seductive to impressionable youth.

-xld

Agapopmemeyenon
bonehelm

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:33:31 AM »

I don't know..it's just kinda sad when you see people rating Dan Brown higher than Shakespeare you know...that kind of thing. Sad
otterhouse

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »

And their latest albums are not based on "sound"?..... Wink

Rolf
The Mad Hatter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »

And their latest albums are not based on "sound"?..... Wink

Rolf

One of the reasons I revere Radiohead (yes, I said it) is because of their mastery of both.

xanadudldu, that's a bit frightening.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Radiohead were the only pop musicians to produce complex harmony. Just my favourite.
Spitvalve

"langsam, Wozzeck, langsam..."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »

I've suggested them to listen to "easy, newbie friendly" classical music such as Four seasons...but they just got bored. I guess they just can't appreciate the beauty inside an orchestral piece.

Bad idea. They should listen to some modern, aggressive, noise-making composer like Rouse, Lindberg, Ruders or Tuur. No Vivaldi! You'll only reinforce the stereotype of classical as department store music.

formerly Archibald Archibaldovich, formerly Walter Bruno

Moscow
The Mad Hatter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »

Bad idea. They should listen to some modern, aggressive, noise-making composer like Rouse, Lindberg, Ruders or Tuur. No Vivaldi! You'll only reinforce the stereotype of classical as department store music.

Seconded! (I meant to say that...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: